Error followed by crash when clicking on weapon in GECK

TomSkele

When I open GECK and try to open a weapon, I get this error message, clicking "OK" then closes GECK. From what I've tested this only happens when I click on any weapon. I opened GECK through MO2 with xNVSE 6 and GECK Extender installed. I tried using GECK without extender but the crash still occurred. I also tried only loading the FalloutNV.esm with and without extender but the crash still occurs.

0j7QSa2.png

Does anyone know what the issue is and how to fix it?

Please see the 'Issue - GECK crashes upon editing a weapon' entry under the "Common Problems with GECK" section of the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article.

-Dubious-

I don't use Fallout Character Overhaul, and the crash still occurred when only using FalloutNV.esm, so I don't think it's because I'm not selecting required masters. Using the NTCore patch on the geck.exe didn't work. I even completely reinstalled GECK, but the crash still occurs.

You should always start troubleshooting from any error messages you can see. (They are your best "clue"; and why they exist at all.) We don't expect you to be able to interpret those messages, but reporting such accurately and in detail (i.e. screenshots) is an essential first step.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog because both the game engine and Windows itself was not able to predictably handle the error. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article. These errors need to be dealt with first.

Logs generated by the game itself (not Windows) are found in the game folder, where the "FalloutNV.EXE" file is located. They generally have the ".log" file extension, or a filename with "_log" in the name and a ".txt" extension.

* There are three different causes known in regard to that problem in the wiki entry. You are only reporting that one of them (FCO) doesn't apply. Did you try the others (we don't read minds here and making assumptions about omitted information leads to confusion and mistaken advice)?

Use the "FNV 4GB Patcher", even with a GOG version of the game AFTER you have installed the GECK. Won't hurt and will tell you if the GECK is already patched for LAA.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? (GOG is not a problem as it places the game correctly.) This typically is the reason why you can't patch an EXE file as it is being protected by the system from your "suspected malware" patcher. If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more but didn't change it for older games); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. Among other things, later versions of Windows (since the game was released) force files in "system protected" folder trees to be "read only" regardless of how you set them manually. It includes instructions on how to correctly move the Steam folders out of that folder path.

Don't move it to a folder under "User\Documents" either, as "executable" files are not permitted to run from there for similar "anti-malware" reasons.

This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

You should always start troubleshooting from any error messages you can see. (They are your best "clue"; and why they exist at all.) We don't expect you to be able to interpret those messages, but reporting such accurately and in detail (i.e. screenshots) is an essential first step.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog because both the game engine and Windows itself was not able to predictably handle the error. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article. These errors need to be dealt with first.

Logs generated by the game itself (not Windows) are found in the game folder, where the "FalloutNV.EXE" file is located. They generally have the ".log" file extension, or a filename with "_log" in the name and a ".txt" extension.

* There are three different causes known in regard to that problem in the wiki entry. You are only reporting that one of them (FCO) doesn't apply. Did you try the others (we don't read minds here and making assumptions about omitted information leads to confusion and mistaken advice)?

Use the "FNV 4GB Patcher", even with a GOG version of the game AFTER you have installed the GECK. Won't hurt and will tell you if the GECK is already patched for LAA.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? (GOG is not a problem as it places the game correctly.) This typically is the reason why you can't patch an EXE file as it is being protected by the system from your "suspected malware" patcher. If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files(x86)" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more but didn't change it for older games); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. Among other things, later versions of Windows (since the game was released) force files in "system protected" folder trees to be "read only" regardless of how you set them manually. It includes instructions on how to correctly move the Steam folders out of that folder path.

Don't move it to a folder under "User\Documents" either, as "executable" files are not permitted to run from there for similar "anti-malware" reasons.

This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. With the game moved out of the default location you will not need to be running it as an "Administrator Account", which is safer. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

-Dubious-

I've already used the 4GB patcher on my current install before (just not GECK, I think). Will I need to undo the first time I ran the patcher in order to run it again?

Are you using a new mesh? This typically appears when there is an error in your mesh. If so, run the mesh through Nifscope and export it again.

Nope. I select just FalloutNV.esm, then click any weapon and the crash occurs.

Will I need to undo the first time I ran the patcher in order to run it again?

Shouldn't, but you can always just restore the original "backed up file" it creates if you want to ensure there isn't a problem. But the patcher does check for the LAA flag being set and reports that when it is found before proceeding.

-Dubious-