BLOG PIECE: supporting modding in totality

Dark0ne

In response to post #7836655. #7839236 is also a reply to the same post.

Feedback from the community is important. So, going back to that middle ground thing how about mod authors can whack a comment but then it gets flagged for final approval from an admin or moderator? If it's not malicious or full of vulgarity or something breaking the TOS, it gets reinstated?

And this is what we already have by now. Granted, to make use of it you currently need to be a 'recognized' author, that is having at least 1000 unique downloads in sum of your mods for one 'game', which will also give you access to the Mod Author forums sub-section. However, then you can do exactly that, immediately hide comments you disapprove of from view, but at the same time the comment gets reported to staff for approval as well.

I haven't yet seen staff disagree with a comment hidden for a valid reason and reinstate it against the author's wishes, even if it didn't directly violate any point of the ToS or commenting rules at all, so basically they let authors moderate their comment sections however they want to, but at the same time 'abuse' of this power will be found out and reacted to accordingly, as every single 'hide' and the causes for it ultimately becomes known to staff.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feedback from the community is important. So, going back to that middle ground thing how about mod authors can whack a comment but then it gets flagged for final approval from an admin or moderator? If it's not malicious or full of vulgarity or something breaking the TOS, it gets reinstated?

Its not always as clear cut as it may seem. Most of the time if something fits the above it just gets flat out reported. The author may hide it but they also report it for moderation. Hiding a comment doesn't always come with the same ramifications as it may not break the ToS but it something that clutters the thread (people responding to other folks, joking around or asking the same question over and over, etc), is off-topic or the like. As Dark0ne mentioned before we do put a great deal of trust into our mod authors. If they ask us to hide a comment then we take it pretty seriously. I will sometimes tell a mod author that I plan on moderating a comment and that I plan to UN-hide it so that it can be seen by everyone and thus we are more transparent in our moderation. Have we restored comments once they are requested to be hid or deleted? Yes we have. It is not a massive amount.

I honestly don't know how this will go. I would guess, 95% of the comments that get deleted will be for perfectly valid reasons, just as they are now requested to be deleted. Will there be mod authors that take advantage of this system. Without a doubt. But I think that will come out in the wash. You act without respect for your fellow members and eventually the community will shun you, regardless of how many comments you delete. You can run but you can't hide? (little pun there)

Anyway so to answer your question we do restore comments. However it is a rare minority as our mod authors are pretty smart cookies and typically good eggs.

In response to post #7815987.

glob, I wish someone would do that...Mojang's modding scene is scattered and horribly disorganized...a mod you like today might be completely unfindable tomorrow. or the author moved to a pay-to-download format (that seems to be big in their "community" nowadays)