What was missing in Skyrim?

FillipeMattos

• 2 weeks later...

Effectively everything.

Skyrim feels like an empty egg shell. Everything about it could be improved, some less so than others but yes. Everything could be improved. Almost everything probably should be improved.

What Skyrim seems to me, is merely a foundation for modders to truly complete the game.

Most notable right now is near complete lack of character development, a sense that the Dovahkiin is nothing but a puppet with no personality and no capability to step off the beaten path. That is- having only 1-2 dialogue options far too often. Linear dungeons in which you essentially just keep going forward to win. I find the sneak system incredibly lacking and it's hard for me to feel immersed in it without 100 sneak. At least then people don't detect you automatically when they're facing the other way on the other side of a large room even if you are in the shadows moving relatively slowly.

Does light or the direction an NPC is facing even have any effect at all? It's hard to tell.

Scale. Skyrim's scale is crap. "Around the corner" could become "halfway across the map" while other times it makes it seem like something is truly half way across the map but THAT is actually right around the corner. Skyrim feels tiny. It's hard for me to believe some places are unexplored or truly avoided when they're five feet from a town or right in plain view for all to see. And then when you do penetrate some draugr infest realm look forward to perfectly safe bread, apples, cheese, ect.

In line with scale, the cities really bother me. Solitude for example is supposed to be the capitol of Skyrim, but there is like a hand full of NPCs with a handfull of buildings. Whiterun is supposed to be like the heart of land and a center of trade through which most roads lead. But it also is a tiny run down town.

I want real cities. More than any other mod or DLC or Patch, I want true cities. Big cities you could spend hours exploring with interesting things to discover with plenty walkways and hidden trails you can travel along atop and through the many buildings.

If "big cities" have lots of merchants I'm all for it. I've decided my pet peeve, and I have many, but my pet peeve is not enough vendors, like how can Morthal possibly survive with no General Store? Does everyone just buy their food and supplies at the local bar?

Not being able to slide into a "sneak crouch" from a sprint is another pet peeve, but I have to admit to that one being of a more personal nature. I'm probably the only one who has even noticed.

Actually yeah that's a bona fide pet peeve: locking out commands while other random sh*t is happening. If I'm running and I release the "run" button and hit the "sneak" key logically that would mean I want to start sneaking as soon as I am able. The game should respect the inputs and make the character do as I asked. Instead the input is ignored as invalid. This happens all the time and used to be infuriating except if you double-tap most of the time that gets through and works. So to really work the interface you have to sort of get a feel for where you should hit a key twice to make one thing happen. It shouldn't be that way.

So what's missing:

1. Vendors

2. A PC-friendly interface (I'm blaming the double-tap and other finicky behavior on the UI's console origins)

Yeah that pretty well sums it up. Making your own spells was outrageously fun in Oblivion, but they didn't forget to put it in Skyrim -- they felt it didn't belong. I can respect that. Not going into a crouch when I hit the "sneak" key, though, that's just wrong. It certainly takes player skill to time the interface just right and a certain amount of player skill should be part of the gestalt of any modern FPRPG, but cheesing the interface is a fraudulent "Tomb Raider"-era way to add difficulty. Difficulty is supposed to lie beyond the interface.

Why do vampires like Serana do not die when they are exposed to the sun?

Because she is wearing a hood :happy:

Nah, it is for the same reason you wouldn't die if you catch vamprism (or as a vampire lord), Sun doesn't kill vampires in this game but it weakens them.

Is there a mod that turns vampires into ashes when exposed to the sun?

Check out Better Vampires ;)

With a few exceptions I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the NPCs in the game. The Dark Brotherhood and Serana beign the only real exceptions. maybe some of the Companionsbut that's iffy. and I guess it could be said that I had a complex relationship with Ulfric Stormcloak, Titus Mede, and Nezeem.

The only NPC I've (Only recently started playing again after months of not touching the game.) grown attached to is Katria. I felt so sorry for her about what happened to her!