Hey hey,

I'm currently trying to tweak witcher 3 (at the moment by changing scripts of mods I downloaded). I sadly didn't find any resource that goes into detail on how the scripts work (the community seems to be a bit dead - no? ), but I think I'll get more far on concrete cuestions:

I found the script "scripts/game/characterstats.ws", and being the fool I was I believed this file was were the characterstats have been set.
This file stems from a commented 1.21 scripts collection I found somewhere.
The function should return the values for attack power and spell power, and I expected that they'd be hardcoded somehwere. However, this function just returns another variable, that is set somewhere ( I don't know where).

Does anyone know why this is done, and where are the actual stats of the player?

function PowerStatNameToEnum(n : name) : ECharacterPowerStats
{
    switch(n)
    {
        case 'attack_power'    :        return CPS_AttackPower;
        case 'spell_power' :         return CPS_SpellPower;
        default:                    return CPS_Undefined;
    }
}
Edited by Quantenirrwisch

Don't know if this is what you want, but:

gameplay\abilities\geralt_stats.xml

has some stats like attack power, resistances, vitality, etc.

I'm confused: In all the cases I installed mods, I just copied a bunch of .ws files into the "Modifications"-folder. Those .ws files were essentially just text files. Now you mention a .xml - file - where does this come into play?

.xml's are also "text files", just more "user friendly". You get them by uncooking game files, either manually, or with some mod creator\editor like W3Edit.

In uncooked state, vanilla ones are located in:

content\content0\bundles\xml.bundle

And there are many other filetypes. It all depends on what are you modding.

Edited by Osuirof

Ok, I uncooked all of them - am I right in that this .xml files can be edited by me simply using a text-editor, after they have been uncooked (although they are still being displayed as .xml files)?

And am I also right that, after I for example edited the geralt_stats.xml, if I want the changes to go into effect, I will simply put the geralt_stats.xml into the "Mods" Folder (of course into the suitable sub-folder, in this case "Mods/modname/content/scripts/game/gameplay/abilities/geralt_stats.xml" ?

...am I right in that this .xml files can be edited by me simply using a text-editor, after they have been uncooked...

Yes. Just like the .ws files. Just use something better than the Windows built-in Notepad.

...(although they are still being displayed as .xml files)?

They are xml files, so they have an .xml extension. Nothing strange about that.

...if I want the changes to go into effect, I will simply put the geralt_stats.xml into the "Mods" Folder

1. .xml files are not the same as .ws files. .xml are like "static" data sheets for, the .ws scripts to "dynamically" process.

2. As far as I know, the only files that you can edit "raw", meaning, without the need to "uncook", and "cook" it back, are those .ws scripts you're so fond of.

Though, I never put "raw" .xml file into a mod, to test it for sure, and I din't play with textures, dialogs, and other files.

1. .xml files are not the same as .ws files. .xml are like "static" data sheets for, the .ws scripts to "dynamically" process.

2. As far as I know, the only files that you can edit "raw", meaning, without the need to "uncook", and "cook" it back, are those .ws scripts you're so fond of.

Though, I never put "raw" .xml file into a mod, to test it for sure, and I din't play with textures, dialogs, and other files.

That means if I want changes to come into effect in a mod, I have to cook the changed .xml back into the xml.bundle? Or instead - it's not possible to make a mod where I change information that is given in a .xml file?

That means if I want changes to come into effect in a mod, I have to cook the changed .xml back into the xml.bundle?

You cook them back, but into a mod bundle, not the original bundle.

But like I've said, maybe you can just "shove" a "raw" .xml file, and it will work as supposed. Don't know, I didn't try.

...it's not possible to make a mod where I change information that is given in a .xml file?

If you mean, if you can change the original ones, without the need to create a mod, then I don't think so. Official modding "guide", somewhat states that steps it lists. Third party tools, also don't allow you to make\save changes to original files.