Banks Throughout The Wasteland

Thorn79

First Wasteland Credit Union - FWCU.org

- Wouldn't it be nice to have some form of banking system across the Wasteland where you could store those hard earned caps and gain interest on your money?

- Have you ever wanted to buy that expensive Power Armor or Rocket Launcher but realized that you were just a few hundred caps short?

Could somebody PLEASE develop a banking system for the Wasteland? You could add one physical location in Megaton or Rivet City and the add terminals scattered throughout the Wasteland that allows players to make deposits or withdrawls. Sort of like Internet/ATM computer terminals that dial into the main bank location.

- Add a credit system so that players who borrow have to pay back their loans with an interest rate (5%) tacked on before a certain period of time (1 game week) or they will lose the ability to use credit again in the future unless they pay the bank loan off PLUS a few hundred EXTRA caps to restore their credit to a neutral/positive rating with the bank.

- Create loan options in the amount of 100, 500, 1000, 2500, and 5000 caps.

- Every player starts with a 0 credit limit which is considered neutral/postive and allows them to create an account with the bank and even take a loan out if they choose to do so.

- Make it so the player has to visit the physical bank location (Megaton or Rivet City) to setup their main account. After that they can use the terminals scattered throughout the Wasteland to be able to access their caps or make deposits.

- The Player's caps in the bank gain an interest rate of 2.5% over the course of one game week.

- Loans have to be paid back to the bank in full over the course of one game week.

- Players who borrow from the bank and run without intending to ever pay the bank back get a hit put out on them by the bank who hires "regulators" to hunt the player down. If the regulators catch the player, they will offer the player a choice to pay their debt off right then or face the consequences - a gun battle to the end. New regulators continue to chase and confront the player on a regular basis until they pay off their debt to the bank. Just like the way Mr. Burke puts a hit out on you if you refuse to detonate the Megaton Bomb. He hires the Talon Company Mercs to give you hell whenever you leave a subway or leave a store. Usually there are three of them, but this should be upped to 8-10 as to make it a real challenge for those players who want to try to cheat the bank out of its money.

So what do y'all think? Would this work and would you like it? I can't make it because I have the scripting talent of a radroach but I thought I put the idea out there for any interested modder to make his/her own.

I don't think that would be too hard to implement as a game mechanic. It really comes down to the local government and the backing of currency. Fallout had The Hub backing all of its caps. Fallout 2 had NCR using what appeared to be a gold standard (or, perhaps, Reno backed "chips"). In Fallout 3, the best you have is Rivet City, and they're barely a trading hub. Tenpenny Tower, on the other hand, is filled with enough of those upper crust pricks to logically have some sort of credit system.

An ATM in the middle of nowhere is kinda asking for trouble, though, since the capital wasteland is infested with raiders and scavengers. All it takes is one person like the Lone Wanderer to come by and ransack the machine for all it's worth.

Excellent idea. All of it sounds very do-able in GECK without much major editing.

As to the ATM's being in the middle of no-where, just add a couple of (high powered) guardian robots.

You could even go as far as making a bank itself! (With all pre-war clutter of course)

Either Rivet city or Tennpenny tower would be great places to put the "main bank" location since neither one of those areas can be blown up like Megaton can. Plus, Tennpenny tower already has that annoying bank music and rich feel to it where a bank would be located. I just think it would be easier to add just one "main bank" location and then setup terminal ATMs throughout the wasteland in medium to large settlements or areas.

I don't think that would be too hard to implement as a game mechanic. It really comes down to the local government and the backing of currency. Fallout had The Hub backing all of its caps. Fallout 2 had NCR using what appeared to be a gold standard (or, perhaps, Reno backed "chips"). In Fallout 3, the best you have is Rivet City, and they're barely a trading hub. Tenpenny Tower, on the other hand, is filled with enough of those upper crust pricks to logically have some sort of credit system.

An ATM in the middle of nowhere is kinda asking for trouble, though, since the capital wasteland is infested with raiders and scavengers. All it takes is one person like the Lone Wanderer to come by and ransack the machine for all it's worth.

Actually as far as economy its what 200 years? after the nuke-a bama? THe economy you can have climbing back up. I'm creating a mod where a town is started with farming and raising cattle. somone needs it and is willing to pay for the food, and food=Caps it's a time to regroup and start rebuilding.

As least that's my feeling and there's still plenty of Wasteland out there! :yes:

I'd have to agree with randian's point, since there's really no central trading hub a "bank" would probably be pushing the immersion limits of the wasteland

although an assortment of shady loanshark-type characters would fit right in in post-apocalytia

maybe a couple gangs of thugs that come to shake you down if you don't make your payments, similar to those annoying regulator/talon merc karma based encounters ;)

Archived