Getting Dragons to use Unrelenting Force and other Shouts

darkdill

I've noticed in the Creation Kit that there are several files that indicate that Bethesda planned to give Dragons the ability to use shouts like Unrelenting Force. Sound files exist with Alduin and Paarthurnax having voice entries for stuff like Unrelenting Force and Dismay.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing Bethesda either didn't latch those together so the dragons could use such shouts, or thought they would be OP.

The mod Dragon Real Shouts does this, but also does some edits to the dragons that I don't entirely like. Also, though I've looked at his ESP in the Creation kit, I'm not sure exactly how he pulled off what he did.

Any ideas on how I could make dragons properly use Unrelenting Force and other similar Shouts?

The shouts specifically designed for dragons are usually marked with "dragon" in the spell name - found under the shout section of the spell list in the CK. It's a simple matter of opening the dragon actors in the CK and dragging the dragon-marked shouts from the spell list into their spell arsenal in the actor window.

Once you do that, you can save the .esp and activate it, and the dragons will automatically utilize the shouts in combat.

If you want another example, take a look at my "Dovahkriid - the Dragon Lords" mod. I made a bunch of custom dragon actors that utilize Unrelenting Force and many other shouts that Beth didn't include with vanilla dragons. You'll be able to see which shouts actually work with dragons (as I tried more, but found that they didn't use them).

Another good example is Bellyache's dragon mod.

Deadly Dragons also makes use of Unrelenting Force, but the mod is pretty complicated - lots of scripting.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

The shouts specifically designed for dragons are usually marked with "dragon" in the spell name - found under the shout section of the spell list in the CK. It's a simple matter of opening the dragon actors in the CK and dragging the dragon-marked shouts from the spell list into their spell arsenal in the actor window.

Once you do that, you can save the .esp and activate it, and the dragons will automatically utilize the shouts in combat.

If you want another example, take a look at my "Dovahkriid - the Dragon Lords" mod. I made a bunch of custom dragon actors that utilize Unrelenting Force and many other shouts that Beth didn't include with vanilla dragons. You'll be able to see which shouts actually work with dragons (as I tried more, but found that they didn't use them).

Another good example is Bellyache's dragon mod.

I saw that in Deadly Dragons on Alduin, but even though he has it, he doesn't use it. Probably because his other abilities outprioritize it or something.

I think that is an issue, yes. There does seem to be a priority list for shouts. The more destructive, the higher priority.

That's gotta be it. He didn't alter the Dragon version of Unrelenting Force to do any damage. Attaching damage to it seemed to make Alduin more inclined to use it.

I've noticed in the Creation Kit that there are several files that indicate that Bethesda planned to give Dragons the ability to use shouts like Unrelenting Force. Sound files exist with Alduin and Paarthurnax having voice entries for stuff like Unrelenting Force and Dismay.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing Bethesda either didn't latch those together so the dragons could use such shouts, or thought they would be OP.

The mod Dragon Real Shouts does this, but also does some edits to the dragons that I don't entirely like. Also, though I've looked at his ESP in the Creation kit, I'm not sure exactly how he pulled off what he did.

Any ideas on how I could make dragons properly use Unrelenting Force and other similar Shouts?

Hey, I'm the author of that mod, may I ask you which edits to dragon that you don't like? And about dragon using shout, they use shout just like mage use magic. For scripted shout like UF, it just need an extra AI effect and perhaps some damage. For most other effects, they will use it when they deem necessary (ex: heal when health below 20% like mage)