Game crashes in certain areas

SunnyTheCat

If you can consistently reproduce the CTD, that makes it easier. First, disable all the plugins not recognized by BOSS as well as your compatibility patches (which has so many masters you couldn't use them with plugin disabled anyway) and leave them disabled. Then try disabling your other plugins (except the unofficial patches, DLC and patch esm's) and test to see if you can move through that area of the worldspace that usually causes CTDs. Start by dividing all the plugins in half. Disable the first half, then test, and if you still CTD, renable the first half and disable the second half. If you don't CTD in that area, then enable half of the second half, and keep repeating this until you can narrow down on the mod that is causing the CTD.

Alright, on it. Just a quick question (two actually):

1) In your last post you said 'you'll need to remove identical to master entries and undelete/disable deleted references'. I did remove identical to master entries, but I'm not sure about deleted references. How do I undelete/disable them?

2) What compatibility patches should I disable? Stuff like ReProccer?

1) after you apply filter for cleaning, right click and select 'remove identical to master records', then when that is done, right click and select 'undelete and disable references.' Remember to clean only the plugins flagged by BOSS as containing 'dirty edits' (for now), including the DLCs and the patch esm. Don't do 'repeat cleanings.' Also, you can check and clean the plugins not recognized by BOSS.

2) Yes. Those automatically generated compatibility patches have several masters, so you couldn't run them with those masters disabled anyway. So disable them when you do your testing. After the load order has been fixed and cleaned, and we figure out which mod(s) are causing the CTDs (and uninstall them), you can rebuild those patches so we can 'finalize' the (hopefully more stable) load order.

Edited by ripple

Would unticking them in NMM suffice? Or should I uninstall them all completely? Cause I tried unticking all the mods from the load order. The game loaded and still crashed in the same place.

Also, is it okay to undelete references after I've removed identical to master records and closed Tes5edit?

Edited by ungvaar

That's not good. You may have to start a new game. I noticed a number of errors in your papyrus log which may indicate orphan data left behind by uninstalled script mods:

[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "footprintsFootstepsScriptHorse", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type footprintsFootstepsScriptHorse referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "AUAQuestScript", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type AUAQuestScript referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "zbloodEBTmenu", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type zbloodEBTmenu referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "DualSheathReduxPlayerScript", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type DualSheathReduxPlayerScript referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "auafollowerquestscript", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type auafollowerquestscript referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "aatkinjuriesmenus", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type aatkinjuriesmenus referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] Cannot open store for class "AUA_QF_0100C6C2", missing file?
[04/21/2013 - 08:23:55PM] warning: Unable to get type AUA_QF_0100C6C2 referenced by the save game. Objects of this type will not be loaded.

You can keep playing and avoid the CTD prone areas and see if SKSE clearinvalidregistration will work it's magic (takes at least hours, some have reported).
Alternatively, you might consider uninstalling any mods you don't feel you need to keep the mod list manageable, making sure your load order is clean and all BOSS error message are taken care of, rebuild your patches, then starting a new game.
Edited by ripple

Dude, I SO don't want to start it all anew ... ( Will try playing and hope it will fix itself ...

Well, yeah, all my fault. Disabling Footprints ESP is not supported. I put it into load order again and stopped the Footprints quest as instructed by the author. Could that maybe make the game stop looking for those bloody footprints?

Edited by ungvaar

Dude, I SO don't want to start it all anew ... ( Will try playing and hope it will fix itself ...

Well, yeah, all my fault. Disabling Footprints ESP is not supported. I put it into load order again and stopped the Footprints quest as instructed by the author. Could that maybe make the game stop looking for those bloody footprints?

Nope, reinstalling the mod won't help. I guess some 'footprints' were left behind in those areas when you uninstalled the mod.

Play for a few days and log some hours (let's say at least 8 hours) to see if the SKSE clearinvalidregistration works to resolve this. Report back even if it doesn't. I'd be interested to hear if it works or not (and you'd be adding to the 'community knowledge base' :) ).

SKSE's clearinvalidregistrations does the following, and the following only:

- add console command ClearInvalidRegistrations to remove invalid OnUpdate() registrations

Now, there are several ways to register for updates in Papyrus to get your mod scripts to receive the OnUpdate events.

http://www.creationkit.com/RegisterForUpdate_-_Form

http://www.creationkit.com/RegisterForSingleUpdate_-_Form

By now it's common knowledge among mod authors (and there is a huge warning on the CK page) that unless a very specific situation demands it (and offhand I can't think of any) RegisterForSingleUpdate should be used instead of RegisterForUpdate. So most recent mods, and especially the more well-known ones by established authors, will use RegisterForSingleUpdate repeatedly instead of RegisterForUpdate.

For those mods, the SKSE addition will do absolutely nothing as far as I know. That still doesn't mean you can just pull those mods and expect everything to work out fine.

I know it's galling, but you may be better off starting a new game with lessons learned (you cannot just remove scripted and complex mods with impunity like you could in early TES games) than struggling with a broken savegame. The CTDs you have/had are just the most visible problem, who knows what lurks beneath the surface?

General advice: Before you install a complex mod, make a save. Try the mod. REVERT to the earlier save if you decide to remove it. Otherwise, consider yourself to be stuck with the mod for the duration of this playthrough. Since I learned this lesson, my skyrim has been extremely stable.

Edited by acidzebra