[WIP] Iron Man armour

The SH0CKER

'tis a good base mesh, but surely you are not done? You havn't done the high poly model yet.

Going low poly --> texturing is the technique we used to do back in Morrowind. From Oblivion, which is one of the first game really utilizing normal maps, we make high poly models to bake.

If nothing else, it creases the edges to look more realistic.

Best of luck!
Matth

My plan was always to just produce the game model and not to make a high poly, do retopology and bake the normals onto the low poly. Firstly, I've seen it done but I lack the skills in Mudbox\Zbrush to go do that. Secondly, I wager that the difference from having baked normals on an already reasonably detailed mesh ( at about 25k polys ) isn't going to be particularly pronounced.

If I was modelling something more organic looking, I'd most likely go and make a base mesh and then attempt\learn to sculpt in Mudbox etc

Eh.

25k polygons you say? That is not a positive thing. That makes it a double negative.

If nothing else, simply add controll lines, tursbo/mesh smooth it an retopologize it. That way you gain smoother normals, smoother edges and better look.

A high poly model is not done for organic modelling -- it is done for everything. Ever since 2005-2006. As said, this is a solid base mesh -- but that's what it is. It is not a finished model. That's not to say a good texture wouldn't fix it; but why stop halfway? high poly modelling/sculpting is not an optional skill to learn. It is as, even more, important as low poly modelling. I suggest you give it ago!

Edited by Matth85

I don't think high poly model is needed. If you make good texture in PS or Mudbox you can create really nice and detailed normals in CrazyBump. I would use this method if you just wanna add metal facture and/or scratches.

On the other hand, as @Matth85 said, you will need to learn sculpting sooner or later. I just don't think this model really needs it.

UV mapping, turbo smoothing using smoothing groups and rendering the normals to texture seems to work. It provides some control over the edges while mapping one to one with the game mesh's UVs.

With regards to texture, to achieve the car paint finish of his suit, It's going to need a balance of cube map, spec and normal. I don't think I'll be putting scratches on it as it isn't supposed to be battle damaged, plus all the suits start out with prestine paint jobs of course.

After looking over the texture sets for Skyrim, it seems I can't actually use a cube map with a glow map. To achieve the glow I think I'm going to have to detach the glowing parts and turn some sort of emissivity modifier in nifskope on for the separate meshes. Hopefully that won't become a problem when the time comes for rigging.

The UV mapping is nearly finished. There is just the chest and arms to do. Unfortunately, my rendered normal maps only worked once with the helmet and I'll need to figure out how to get them to render out properly again.