Fallout NV Crashes on attempting to load save

zann234

Hi Nexus forums thanks for taking the time to check out my problem :biggrin:

Anyways I go through bouts of playing Fallout NV and uninstall and reinstall it periodically. Only this time when i installed it, and got all my mods together, the game would crash every time the save loaded. When i say that i mean it would go through the loading screen, but as soon as the wheel stopped spinning it would immediately crash without remorse. So at first i assumed it was a bad combination of mods, but after check each one, and eventually just getting rid of them altogether, the game wouldn't load. I've reinstalled the game multiple times since this problem came up and it still doesnt work, ive even tried installing the game on my laptop but it has the exact same problem. I can't tell if i've got a bad patch that steam wont update or what but something seems to be seriously wrong with the game.

I appreciate any and all help, if theres any information that would be useful to answering this question i would be happy to give it, or if a similar question has already been answered i would greatly appreciate directions to the thread

Edited by zann234

Start by deleting all your old INI files, re-validating the game cache in Steam, and reactivating Archive Invalidation. The save game is probably missing something it really needs, likely you'll need to start a new game unless you can determine the exact needs of your prior save and can fix it based on this knowledge.

If you saved in an exterior and it crashes as soon as it looks like it's about to load, it could possibly be a problem with your hardware settings, i.e incorrect CPU/RAM settings cause all sorts of weird problems, including failure to load. This only really applies if you are OCing your rig, as you say you tried on a laptop also so this is probably not the case, but for the sake of good advice I make a note of it anyway.

Let me know if that does anything for you :)

Start by deleting all your old INI files, re-validating the game cache in Steam, and reactivating Archive Invalidation. The save game is probably missing something it really needs, likely you'll need to start a new game unless you can determine the exact needs of your prior save and can fix it based on this knowledge.

If you saved in an exterior and it crashes as soon as it looks like it's about to load, it could possibly be a problem with your hardware settings, i.e incorrect CPU/RAM settings cause all sorts of weird problems, including failure to load. This only really applies if you are OCing your rig, as you say you tried on a laptop also so this is probably not the case, but for the sake of good advice I make a note of it anyway.

Let me know if that does anything for you :smile:

Unfortunately it didn't. Though when validating the game files it always said one file was missing and would be replaced, no matter how many times i did it. Hopefully this mysterious missing file is the problem, and hopefully it can be fixed

Any future help is greatly appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Please note the date of the previous post, and see the Nexus "Terms of Service" about not resurrecting old threads. The primary reason is that the original thread participants are seldom still around, and it is unlikely that you have exactly the same setup. Details matter.

Please provide ALL the information requested in the wiki "How to ask for help" article. Don't forget to identify things that do not appear in the "load order", such as NVSE and it's related plugins, texture replacements (specifically their larger image sizes: 1024x1024, etc.), and "post-processors" like ENB or SweetFX.

If you are using the built-in game "auto-save" feature or have been resaving over the same filename over and over again, then you are "out of luck". Rewriting over files tends to corrupt them. (There is a reason they allow you to have 1000 save game files.) One possibility is that if you left the "Steam Cloud server" backup enabled, it may still have a save game file from before the current one got corrupted.

Please read the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. It would have helped you avoid this.

-Dubious-

• 3 years later...