Recover old C-disk from my previous computer?

amycus

After 7 years of faithful service, my old computer finally entered her final sleep ;_;

(Stonedead, I was working with it when it suddenly just shut down itself, and can since then not start it at all anymore.)

Unfortunately, I still had a lot of files there which I would like to keep, hence my quesion here to you is:

Is it possible to just take out the c-disk from my old computer, and transfer it to my new one? And if so, what is the easiest way to go about it?

Possibly, it depends how dead it is, unfortunately, a broken hard drive often mean the lost of everything that was on it. But if you want to make sure, I would just connect the old hard drive inside the new computer, as long as you use the same interface as the new computer (ie: SATA), you should be able to do it this way, you might need extra cables but you might be able to use the ones from your old computer. If you can get your files back, great but like I said, they might be lost, some computer repair companies might be able to recover files from a broken hard drive but it is usually not cheap.

Hi,

There are USB to Sata/Pata adapters that easily connects to old drives wihout you having to open your new computer to attach it.

One quick find with Google is this one from newegg but for sure there are lot more brands and suppliers for this kind of unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226001

Normally if functional the old drive shows up like a USB stick or external drive would within a minute in Windows.

Thanks for the answers. It doesn't contain any files that I can't live without, but it could still save me many months of work. And it's just some files that I want to move to my new computer, afterwards I might as well consider it uselss.

I will look into the USB to Sata/Pata adapters, since those seems to be exactly what I was looking for.