WIP: British/European Commonwealth Mod

Freols

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning: long and nosy post ahead!

The European Commonwealth, by 2277 is:

- Primarily a British organisation, with various refugees from other nations. It is composed of city states.

So was Europe attacked during the Great War? By the sounds of things and your wiki the EC is basically the UK. How did it escape the war unscathed or how did it rebuild so quickly?

- An openly fascist and oligarchic state, but nevertheless "democratic" in some respects.

- Politically a mixture of Republican Rome, Nazi Germany and Imperial Britain.

Now this I want to know more about. In what respects is it democratic? I'm especially curious as I studied fascist Europe at uni and I'd like to know how you're reconciling these very different concepts.

- Power armour is a new concept to them, the EC was behind the US technologically before the Great War.

- The EC is currently more technologically advanced in other areas, such as stealth technology and protection against radiation & other hazards.

A nice balancing effect.

- The EC is a small and reclusive nation, with illusion of Romanesque grandeur

'In spite of overwhelming evidence, it is most difficult for a citizen of western Europe to bring thoroughly home to himself the truth that the civilisation which surrounds him is a rare exception in the history of the world.' - Henry James Sumner Maine

- The nation has a high regard for science and academia, it does not share the BoS's superstitious beliefs in technology as a religion, nor is it naturally prejudiced against ghouls.

Given that the EC wouldn't have much in the way of manpower, it makes sense that they'd go high-tec to get around it.

- The EDA outpost the player will encounter is a military and scientific outfit sent to acquire technology, information and resources by the Consilium. The outfit is commanded by a Praetor with Consular power.

So a completely military operation with no political supervision? Interesting...

1. The establishment of diplomatic relations, the European Commonwealth (EC) need to decide which factions represent the true voice of America - if that is possible at all. Perhaps the player can convince the EC of the merits of a particular faction (Enclave, BoS) or persuade the EC to try and establish their own dominance in the area. The player might act as a local guide for the foreign EC commander.

A very realistic premise, and a great way of integrating the player into the story.

2. The further physical establishment of the EC.

I'm guessing patrols, posters, outposts...and maybe a radio station and eyebots?

3. The player finds worthy tasks for the EC forces... from making friends with Super Mutants to invading Paradise Falls... many possibilities.

Perhaps the player could bring back intelligence that would affect how the EC percieves the Wasteland? For example, player is told to go and scout Big Town for the EC, then has several options upon return.

1. 'Good people that need help. They're willing to work and trade for protection.' - EC opens trade links with Big Town, and maybe stations a small number of troops there.

2. 'Nothing but a bunch of useless drifters huddled together in burnt-out houses.' - EC leaves Big Town alone.

3. 'Dangerous and violent murders and torturers. As soon as I mentioned the word 'Europe' to them, they all started foaming at the mouth and I had to run out of town before they could tear me apart in rage.' - EC eradticates Big Town (with or without player's help)

4. Initiation of the player into the European Defence Agency task force.

The first recruit into the European Commonwealth's Foreign Legion?

5. Gathering of advanced technology (like you havn't heard that one before!

Well, it wouldn't be Fallout without it?

6. The excessive use of Monty Python references and high brow humour.

And about bloody time too! :D I'm already thinking of the possibilities...

British wind up claiming themselves to be the new European Commonwealth, preserve themselves rather well throughout the war, but emerge as a rather low-key fascist state.

I'm expecting at least one V for Vendetta reference lol. The graphic novel does provide a pretty decent account of how a fascist society emerged after a nuclear war so if you can get hold of it I'd recommend taking a look.

- The Brits & refugees (calling themselves the European Commonwealth), come to America to acquire advanced technology and resources... Britain has maintained it's ability to use nuclear-fission technology, but it has so far failed to duplicate nuclear-fusion from samples found in Europe.

I like this angle. Are resources in Europe running low and high-rankers in the EC hope that salvation will be found in the ashes of America?

- The journey to America is made via a nuclear-submarine full of troops and scientists.

- They use a network of secret submarine tunnels leading to an underground base built by an eccentric billionaire where the Brits set up their base of operations.

Nuclear submarine - good.

Secret tunnels set up by an eccentric billionaire? Sounds a little far fetched. Why not have them just sail up the Potomac?

I will be watching this one very closely. I know nothing about modding but if you need someone to bounce ideas off then just shout :)