Weapon Maintenance Improvement

MajorExplosion

I found a few fixes and improvements to the weapon degradation system, however, I think they go too far, not far enough, or head in the wrong directions. The first fix of course is to just turn off all weapon degradation, I currently use that, but I would like a little weapon degradation to be present, so it's not ideal.

I propose a simple set of miscellaneous items that can be used to maintain different weapons. Some of these ideas are from mods I've seen, or refinements of those ideas, others are purely my own.

There are two parts to this, first, increase weapon hit points for certain weapons, especially the Sniper Rifle, which currently beats itself to death when firing. Secondly, the different items that can repair other items should come in different grades.

Guns: Cleaning Fluid, Cleaning Kit, Scrap, 'similar weapons', the 'same weapon'

From left to right, each item does more repair for more money, or potentially more repair in the case of 'similar weapons' and 'same weapon. The first few items are simple maintenance items and should be enough to counter normal daily use. Second from the right are 'similar weapons', for instance, how the Hunting Rifle can repair Lincoln's Repeater. While at the extreme end, using the 'same weapon' to repair your weapon should be considered equivalent to taking apart both weapons, taking the best parts and combining them into a third superior weapon. Maybe the process should leave some Scrap behind? I saw that in an existing mod done in a far more complicated manner.

Knives: Cinder Block and Cardboard, Flat Rocks, Sharpening Stone

It angers me that you can repair a knife with a knife in F3. Something as simple a brick or rock is enough to fix a knife's edge in real life. So, yes, you can sharpen and hone a knife with a cinder block and cardboard, I've seen it done. Proper sharpening stones are better, and there is already a sharpening stone in F3, but I never got the chance to see if it can repair a knife in-game. I assume it can't.

Other Melee: Wrench, Hammer, Scrap, 'similar weapons', the 'same weapon'

The ideas are, give the ability to mitigate weapon degradation at a reasonable cost, give expected repair/maintenance variety, keep it simple. This way, you only scrap weapons, or pay merchants, when you want actual weapon improvement.

Archived