Characters disappear in Temple of Waukeen in Neverwinter (SoZ)?

TMarttila

Hi! I've got version 1.23 of NWN2, with MotB & SoZ installed. I have also installed NWN2 combined hackpacks with Kaedrin's PrC + TCC + Spell Fixes + Tome of Battle + Races of Faerun + Light Emitting Spell Effects (see details at the end).

I've played OC with no problems. The game is sometimes a bit buggy, but nothing that matters.

Now I have started SoZ… I played through Act I, and things worked as well (aside something strange with the trading system - requiring fresh load to be able to actually buy or sell - these might be related to TCC in the combined hackpak). But then in Act II I've encountered a weird bug of another scale.

When I go in Temple of Waukeen in Neverwinter city in Act II, something very strange happens. The room loads, but my own PC characters as well as the NPC characters supposed to be there, have disappeared. I can see character icons on the right side, and for example character screen, but the 3D models of the characters themselves have disappeared from the screen.

So interior and graphics such as tables and chairs will load - but no characters of any kind. The lighting effects from e.g. their weapons or spells seem to be visible on the wall - but no characters or their shadows. I can still move… And as one of my characters was ready to level up, even the level up -text is visible. But no characters of any kind. As a detail, while chairs and tables exist, the door is missing. So I cannot even exit to see if my team would reappear back in the city side.

This is rather weird bug, but also prevents me from proceeding, as I should talk with people inside the temple (who are not there) and join a cartel to advance in the game.

I'm afraid it would be some kind of corrupted save, but I've tried to play an older one (from early Act I) and the problem remained. Haven't tried with a new game, though, but would be nice to know if anyone else has encountered something similar.

I also tried to reinstall, and even tried it with hackpack disabled (with only Races of Faerun v.2.3 -expansion on, as my characters in the save are not from original races of the game).

Any ideas? Thanks!

Game Version: NWN2 v1.23 (with MotB & SoZ; installed from this link: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/158/index/3226585/1)

I have also installed NWN2 combined hackpacks (http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2HakpaksCombined.Detail&id=58&comment_page=1) with Kaedrin's PrC + TCC + Spell Fixes + Tome of Battle + Races of Faerun + Light Emitting Spell Effects.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz

Operating System / Service Pack: OsX

System RAM: 4GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB

I only use one of those mods you mention (Kaedrin's PrC), so I can't say if it has anything to do with any of the mods. The only thing I've experienced that sounds similar to what you describe is that on rare occasions, I'll click on a door, and instead of the loading screen I'm instantly transported to an incomplete version of either the previous level or the same level, with all of my other party members unavailable (at 0 health and nothing happens if I click them).

In those cases, I've been able to continue by saving the game and loading it again. It seems to be triggered by leaving the area with someone other than the main PC, but rarely as I said, because I always leave with a companion leading when I go on the overland map, for the survival skills.

Might not be the same thing you're experiencing, especially since you say it always happens at that location, but it's the only thing I can think to suggest.

Found a solution! For me the save+load did not help, tried that already earlier. Characters were still missing (never encountered a bug like yours, though). Even the save-image was just an empty room (as in my 1st post).

But the following trick worked, after again trying out things quite randomly...

There is the "command+enter" combination on Mac that toggles full-screen and windowed mode. By toggling full-screen to windowed in this way (in the Temple of Waukeen in Neverwinter city) my characters and other NPC's as well as the door reappeared! Then I was able to even toggle back to full-screen, and continue playing the story (as the cartel representatives showed up).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I tried this trick already before reinstalling the whole thing and then it didn't work. Perhaps I didn't, or then the reinstallation helped. Still, even after the reinstallation the problem keeps on reappearing always when I enter that Temple there. Nowhere else... Rather weird. But I can manage my few visits there with this trick.

So if anyone's struggling with similar problems (though I googled and this didn't seem a common bug at all), you might want to toggle full-screen to windowed and back, and if it doesn't help, reinstall and retry the trick.

...And when reinstalling I left TCC out from the mod pack (used Kaedrin's crafting.da and crafting_index.da instead of TCC's) as it seemed to occasionally mess up trading in SoZ. Haven't had yet any problems after this move... Still, not sure if these two things are in any way related.

Anyways, big thanks for help and suggestions Tchos... Perhaps this thread helps another one later on.

Edited by TMarttila