selective freezing spells

firepower02

Hi, I have been playing skyrim for months, but this is my first time on this forum. I hope it's ok for a newbie to make requests. The request I have in mind is for a freezing spell that can be selective. I have searched the site for freezing spells, but there are none that are selective.

The the type of characters each spell can freeze are:

1. all characters, except followers, will freeze.

2. only hostile characters will freeze.

3. only friendly or neutral characters will freeze.

If they are animals, it will depend if they are hostile or not.

Objects like flying arrows or armours will always freeze whatever type of freeze selection is used.

The freezing spell should last 10 secs, and increases 5 secs as the character increases in level.

If a character is of higher level, their freezing time is reduced by -2 secs, if it reaches zero, they can't be frozen.

If a frozen character is hit, the freezing time will be reduced further by -2 secs.

A spell to unfreeze, incase the caster made a mistake and intends to freeze only hostile, or only neutral characters.

Special effects like lighting or fogs when the spell is cast are not necessary, maybe just a simple sound effect.

Please don't make the spell tome difficult to acquire, like perhaps make it buyable from any merchant.

Edited by firepower02

Hi Blacksupernova, thank you for your interest in my request. With regards to freezing ammo, I think the time stop shout or was it slow time shout can freeze everything including the ammo. What happens if an enemy shoots an arrow and you use the freeze spell, will the arrow fall down, or continue flying until it hits a target? Also since this is an AoE spell, can you please include a specific target spell, it would ignore the other conditions, except the remaining time of freezing.

I did found a time freeze spell that does stop everything for 15 secs max, including ammo, and even flowing water. Well, the ammo, or fireball was not exactly stopped, it only moved at a much slower rate. Any new fireball thrown will also move at a slower rate, I kind of want to immobilize only those moving things before the spell is cast, so any new fireball thrown after would still hit targets at a normal rate. The spell also affects everyone, including the followers, but you said you could satisfy most of the conditions, so it should not be a problem to you. Here is the link to the spell I'm referring to.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9649

One last thing, if you could make the unfreeze spell not a different type of spell (there is not really plenty of slot, just left and right click), but when it is cast again of a freeze spell when everything within the condition is still frozen to take effect. For example, if I use the freeze all hostile characters, and I use it again while they are all still frozen, they will all unfreeze, but if one one them is unfrozen because of a higher level, then it works as a freezing spell to freeze again the character that broke free from the freeze, but it should not double the time to those low level characters that are still immobile, however it can add to the freezing time up to the maximum.

For the ammo, fireballs, and other thrown weapons, since they have no level, I think they should be treated like they are in level 1.

Edited by firepower02

Well, here's the thing. Slow time shout (and the time freeze mod) appears to be an AOE, but it is NOT an AOE spell. It actually targets the caster (specifically, the player, NPCs can not use this spell). If i understand correctly, It changes the caster's in-game perception of speed of the world. that way, everything will be slowed by it, even things that normally spells can not apply to such as ammo, visual effects, etc. And because it only targets the player, you can not make selective freeze spells based on this effect.

What I have in mind is to use script, a script that turn off NPCs' AI, stun their animation, essentially "freeze" them in place. example is Tolfdir when you meet the Phijic monk in saarthal. Using this method, it is possible to meet most of your conditions, however, as I said, this method can not freeze anything other than NPCs

I think that might be true, maybe that is why everything is slowed down.

What I had in mind is not really a time freezing spell, but a spell to freeze people, when used, time will still move. I am ok with your idea, they still won't be able to shoot arrows or hurl fireballs if they are frozen anyway. Of course it would still look cool to see an arrow in midair, if the game allows it.

So there would be three types of spells, freeze hostile, freeze friendly/neutral, and freeze both friendly/neutral and hostile, and an unfreeze spell by casting it again if no one in the group yet is unfrozen. It's an AOE spell, and companions and followers should not by affected by this spell.

I found this mod More Interactive Items - Grab Moveable Statics, I think what it does is make objects moveable. I don't know, but this might help also in making objects in animate.

Edited by firepower02

• 2 months later...

Truly sorry firepower, I totally forgot about it. And turn out it is harder than I thought :confused:.

Here's what I've got so far:

- Make spell that freeze target that work on NPC and hostile animal

- Duration of the effect is governed by caster and target's level (base 10 seconds, +5 sec for every caster's level >1, -2 for every target's level > caster's level)

- Every hit reduces duration by 2 sec

- Casting it again unfreeze frozen target.

Here's problem I still not able to eliminate:

- Frozen target still scream and report crime when being attacked

- Only NPCs freeze.

I am ok with that. I actually wanted to ask you to make followers immune to the freezing spell, so it's good only NPCs freeze.

The targets that scream when frozen is funny. Is freezing neutral character considered as an attack? that makes them report? or only when they are actually attacked? If they report crime when they are just frozen, maybe I should just avoid freezing them. They will not report crime if I freeze only hostile characters, right? Btw, can you make it an AoE type of spell, instead of one target per spell?

I finished the mod. The spells will be available in Riverwood Trader. There are two spells: The target version is able to freeze any npcs hostile or not. Its maximum freezing duration is 60 seconds (even if you're at level 100, casting it on a level 1 target will still freeze it for 60 secs, use Stability and Dual casting perk to increase this cap duration). The AOE version only affect hostile targets and has maximum duration of 120 secs (again, Stability and Dual casting can further increase it). Both spells won't affect dragon. Casting these spells on non-hostile target won't count as assault and you won't get bounty for it.

Apart from "NPC screaming", there are some more problems: any ragdoll effect can cause the frozen target to fly very far after the effect expires, I can mod those effect to not affect frozen target but that may cause conflict with your other mods so it is best that you don't use unrelenting force, cyclone, paralysis or any other ragdoll sources on target that under the spell effect.

Edit: A better version V2:

Edited by blacksupernova

Thank you so much! They work great! Can you please make the cost of casting the AoE version lower? It cost too much mana, like almost half of what my character has, and it also takes long to cast. Maybe same amount as the target version. I tried re casting the spell on a frozen target but it doesn't unfreeze them. Is it possible to not have another spell coz it would take up space, but just the same spell recast to reverse its effects? Can the gases effect on frozen targets be removed?

edit: I just checked, the target version cost 70+ and the AoE version costs 100+, can you make it lower like only 30+? It is also named freeze time and time wizard, well since it won't be a time that is frozen, can you name them as freeze target and freeze hostile?

Edited by firepower02