[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just re-did some of the belt such that it looks less wonky and is easier to UVW map. Will look at the UVWs next and see if I can find a less time-consuming method than manually laying them out. If I recall correctly the UVW's I made for my mask project took nearly two days due to errors and crashes, meaning it'll take longer for this piece - which is unacceptable. Going to see if I saved a certain reply Skree posted regarding of UVW mapping and easy methods for it.

Found what I was looking for here, luckily I still had it bookmarked and hopefully the method works for a model of this "complexity". Hopefully it won't female dog too much and go smooth like a buttered lightning bolt, because I can feel I do not have the patience for manually laying UVWs. :P

Edit: Noticed something weird when comparing the low poly to the high poly model. Somewhere along the line I've somehow managed to resize the lower body such that it had become misproportioned to the on the low poly. Kinda' weird as I don't remember that being there from when I last worked on it though it wasn't something that a little resizing couldn't fix.

Found what I was looking for here, luckily I still had it bookmarked and hopefully the method works for a model of this "complexity". Hopefully it won't female dog too much and go smooth like a buttered lightning bolt, because I can feel I do not have the patience for manually laying UVWs. :P

Edit: Noticed something weird when comparing the low poly to the high poly model. Somewhere along the line I've somehow managed to resize the lower body such that it had become misproportioned to the on the low poly. Kinda' weird as I don't remember that being there from when I last worked on it though it wasn't something that a little resizing couldn't fix.

in case this gets to hectic for you read my post on the page before this one.

in case this gets to hectic for you read my post on the page before this one.

Oh I have read it. :happy:

Releasing a model without decent UVWs will do more harm than good though as people think it'll be skinnable when it's not due to the UVWs being whack, so at the very earliest I'll put it up when the UVWs are sorted.

Small progress update.

Minor parts (Both shoulders and gutplate) UVW mapped; still need to do the last "easy" bit (backpack hose interface) and the beefy bits like the armour itself and the belt array. Going to visit my parents over the weekend leaving Thursday afternoon, scheduled return Sunday so there won't be any updates on this project during that timespan.

Kinda' annoys me that I have to leave though as I was actually somewhat enjoying laying out those UVWs. :P

Edit June 8th.: Home again, found a good tutorial on unwrapping symmetrical low polygon models which will be of immense help for the larger bits on the model. Hose interface-doodad mapped out using the method, leaving the armour, belt and blastshield (Forgot about that one) for unwrapping. With a little dilligence I should have everything ready for Normal map baking trials in a few days.

Interested readers can find the tutorial here.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm finally done unwrapping the low poly model, but there's still lots of work to do before I can begin testing the model ingame - I still need to teach myself how to rig the model to a skeleton proper, as well as figure out whether I can get some decent normal map bakes made off of the high polygon model. I have no doubts I can manage the former but I'm a bit more concerned about the latter as that seems to be quite a bungle by comparison. At least with my luck I'll spend loads of hours working on it without the bakes turning out well in the end, but I guess that's just part of the learning process.

Oh well, guess I should get some rest as it'll be a long day tomorrow. :sweat:

Just thought I'd post a few images of the low poly model as I can't think of anything I need to change on it before rigging it. The images are pulled straight from Max using printscreen because I find rendering with wireframe quite a pita. I still need to figure out how to get some good normal bakes as it still screws up quite a bit, even when the two models almost fit completely in outline. Think I'll struggle a bit more with it and see if I can make it work, if not I'll just resort to a "painted" normal map as I did on the headgear.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/Armour-Low-Poly-Wire-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/Armour-Low-Poly-Wire-2.jpg