[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well skinning itself is not so bad, it's just annoying that I can't get the mirroring tools to work proper. It makes it take far longer than if I could just do one side and then mirror it over and make minor adjustements.

Breakthrough Update - I got the damn thing to work in-game as intended. Now I just need to tweak the pauldrons so that they follow the movement of the arm better rather than just being tacked onto the clavicle bones and I should be all done with rigging the model. Once I'm done with that I have to re-do a little of the detailed model (mainly on the arms and stomach), rebake the normal map, render a color-coded diffuse map, export the UVW templates and bake a new set of specular maps to go with the model.

While it sounds like a lot of work, it's *nothing* compared to the trouble I've had with rigging the thing, because compared to NifSkope, 3dsMax is a kitten to work with (A housebroken kitten at that). Anyway, here's two screenshots of how it looks in-game - it might be a little difficult seeing all the details because it uses the Combat armour texture, but since I don't have a proper texture for it yet it'll have to make do:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/Cerberus-Armour-working-Front.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/Cerberus-Armour-working-Back.jpg

Looks great, glad to see you got it to work. What color are you making it? Matching it with the helmet?

Yep, going to match it with the helmet initially. I probably won't spend so much time on the textures themselves as my skills at making textures are limited, but at least then the "basic product" will be released and people more skilled than I can create better textures for it if they feel like it (Or I can convince someone that it'd be a good idea). :happy:

Edit: Still need to add decap and PipBoy support before texturing, so I still have to juggle around with some skin-work before I can make the final .nif.

Psshh, no wonder Bethesda can keep their texture files in 1024 x 1024 format - mirrored model areas like the arms and legs are overlapping on the UV, using the same texture map space. Considering both arms and legs on my model are mapped separately, I think I'll bump the texture size a notch and use 2048 x 2048. It will probably impact system performance in some small, miniscule way, but considering that the alternatives are remapping the UV or compromising on texture quality, I think it'll be the best choice in the end.

Besides, it's not like people will mind a few more MBs on their harddrives and if double texture sizes are enough to choke the system it can probably barely run Fallout 3 in the first place. ;D

"will be released and people more skilled than I can create better textures for it if they feel like it (Or I can convince someone that it'd be a good idea). happy.gif"

You might want to take a look at Drag0ntamer. He's great at high res textures. ... and textures in general.