[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

Bah... Seems I need to practice my normal baking technique a bit. After having properly viewed the model in-game with the normal maps applied so I think I need to go back and revise the model and put on a bit more detail on the mesh instead of relying on the normal map to do it for me. I also need to make some adjustments to the arms as they currently look a bit off, and maybe some other tweaks and fixes, so I need to do some modelling anyway before I can begin working on the basic textures.

Edit: The left shoulder pauldron of the model is also driving me crazy. Bethesda has animated the left arm in a very odd manner, meaning it's really difficult getting the pauldron to sit where it's supposed to. In case you are wondering what I'm on about, try equipping your character with a recon armour and see how the left pauldron on that behaves. If I can't make it look good, I'll probably redesign that pauldron like I did with the sabatons and the problematic knee distortion. :P

Edit2: BAAAH... Shoulder problem seems to have been caused by an error 16 - ie. the root cause of the problem was approximately 16 inches away from the keyboard. That should teach me not to make changes to my work while eating breakfast and watching television at the same time. :whistling:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol jeeze Bael, for a novice at that 3DMax Armor stuff, you're pretty good. Too bad Beth has to make everything such a pain in the ass, or you'd probably be done with it by now. Ah well, just keep working on it, and i'm sure it'll get the best ratings in FO3Nexus!

I swear, it seems that everytime I'm ready to move away from modeling and Nifskoping something gets in the way.

I'm finally done making the alterations to the mesh I wanted and have reskinned the model, but I've run into a very queer problem. Due to the way the Pipboy works, with the character lifting his arm and turning his view down to look at the screen, the hardware around the neck, with the hoses going to the back, actually get a bit in the way of your view, blocking out the big buttons at the bottom of the Pipboy screen (Stas, Items & Data). :wallbash:

I figure it would be possible to make the hose bits as an armour attachment somehow and script the part away/make it transparent using FOSE when operating the Pipboy, but right now I don't have the competence to make that, so for now they will just have to be omitted from the first release. It pains me to have to make yet another compromise, but I can't continue like this as I won't be able to release the suit anytime soon if I have to take care of every little issue such that everything works as intended.

Quick update. Just slapped together a surface texture based on the exported UV template with matted and flattened normals and took a few screenshots of the model in-game. Just need to re-make custom meatcaps to go with the dismemberment, and then I'm on to making a basic set of textures such that I, hopefully, can ship it off for a decent professional paint job (Almost like I'm talking about a car here, heh!).

I've somewhat managed to straighten the slight distortion on the gutplate in the first screenshot, so that looks a lot better in the revised version of the model I made after taking the screenshots. I also noticed that the armour plating hanging from the belt on either side just kisses the area where the character holsters his pistol, so it kinda' looks like it hangs off of that part instead of floating in mid-air which I think was a nice "bonus" if you can call it that. Rifles unfortunately clip a little into the back, but I don't really know if it's possible to shift the holstering node such that it looks more natural.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot109.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot110.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot111.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot112.jpg

Dismemberment done, had a bit of an odd problem with the opposite sabaton coming off at decapitation (ie. left leg got blown off, right sabaton flew off along with the left leg) but that's fixed now. Additionally I took a few minutes to check out how the suit looks on a female, and I actually think it's pretty good - of course it doesn't have "bewbes" on the chestplate, but logically few flexible body armours would have that kind of feature.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot113.jpg

Dismemberment done, had a bit of an odd problem with the opposite sabaton coming off at decapitation (ie. left leg got blown off, right sabaton flew off along with the left leg) but that's fixed now. Additionally I took a few minutes to check out how the suit looks on a female, and I actually think it's pretty good - of course it doesn't have "bewbes" on the chestplate, but logically few flexible body armours would have that kind of feature.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot113.jpg

No bewbs? BLASPHEMY! No but you've done A LOT today. Looks great. Hate to ask this, but do you have an ETA?

No bewbs? BLASPHEMY! No but you've done A LOT today. Looks great. Hate to ask this, but do you have an ETA?

Nope, can't say when it's ready. I kinda' got into making the gloves for it as well, so I can get the entire thing done in one go, but that shouldn't take long. The right glove is already skinned, so all I need to do is re-do the glove UV and make a mirrored version of it for the left hand and they should be ready for textures as well.

I'll look into how much work it'll be to add bewbes at a later stage though, no doubt about it. The armour does look a little masculine on a female, so I figure a version with kickin' curves is due at some point in the future. :wub:

im looking at the right arm of the armor with the little shield guard on the arm shouldnt that be rotated a lil more around the arm? if im looking at the pics right it sits on the back of your lower arms in stead of it being on the outer-side of your arm. also can you also include a version with out the shield guard as well? not as a seperate download but to be included with the shield version as well.