[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now all you need is a balaclava to hide the neck. :drag:

Yep. I actually think I have a balaclava model lying around I built last I worked on this armour, so I just have to fix the UV's on it and conformulate it such that it can be worn by all face types... and then texture it. While I'm at it I think I'll redo the UV of the M42 helmet as it's quite shitty - I hadn't learned pelt mapping proper back when I made it, so it could use a little love to make it more texture artist friendly.

Edit: Found the balaclava model, so now I just need to come up with a design that will set it apart from all the other balaclavas out there - otherwise I might as well just retex someone else's work. Maybe some kind of mask interface hood with some tech stuff going on around the eyes...

Hmm.... Perfect!

http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/pix/big/422893-01_L.jpg

Bovine Protect Gear: Armor!!! Now that's an entirely different mod.

The all white texture does cheat the eye a bit, but the arms and legs might benefit from a little buffing up. It's not something I'll look into for the first release though as I think the current model version is "satisfactory", and it'll be easier to judge whether it needs changes once it's fully textured and an initial release has been made.

Looks really nice :banana:

lets see how the textures make it look like

I'll wager it'll look as horrible as the mask seeing that I'll be re-using a lot from that in terms of material surfaces and general color scheme. It'll just be for a first release though so I can say "I did it all on my own" and pat myself on the back, afterwards I'll find a proper texture artist to re-make the entire suit in super-pro quality. :P

will u be adding the lil hose's they have for there Gas Mask's? i hate to bring it up when ur allmost done but i am just wondering ^_^

Yeah, I plan on making it part of a revised version of the mask at a later date. The reason it's not on the armour is because of how Fallout 3 works - the hose would actually get in the way when the character looks at the Pipboy if it was part of the armour itself. Opposed to body objects, I think head objects are invisible in first person view, and as such the Pipboy problem shouldn't exist if I put the hoses on the mask rather than the body object.

Edit: Just realized I still need to make a ground object for the armour. It seems that everytime I'm kinda' done with modelling something new pops up. :P

Edit 2: Fixed up a rather elaborate ground object. :P

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot137.jpg

Hmz... Been fooling around making a balaclava today, but for some reason the model crashes the game when implemented on a variety of "base" objects (so far tried a skinned version on the BOSunderarmour helmet and an unskinned version on the Antagonizer helmet, both while disabling the .egm file).

I've exported it from 3ds max the exact same way as I exported the armour model, so I was unpleasantly surprised to see it not working as intended, the odd thing is that if I make a random object in Max in the same scene and export it with the correct settings, and overwrite the models listed earlier, it works perfectly fine so something is up with the balaclava mesh but I have no idea what it could be and I have no idea how to find the error. I've run a STL check which turned up nothing but the regular open edge errors and I've collapsed the Xforms, so right now I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to find the error that's causing the game to crash beyond starting over and remaking it from scratch.

Edit: Forgot to mention I've also tried exporting it as an .obj and importing that from NifSkope, though I'm not sure this method actually works normally. In any case, no matter what I do it seems the model crashes the game when equipping said items.

Edit2: Hmm, maybe Fallout actually does try to conformulate and it just goes out of whack. After all, it probably just fetches the .egm file from the .bsa's when I rename the unpacked ones... Hm, must try making a custom item and see if that has an effect then to avoid any .egm errors.

Edit3: Well, the model worked fine after making a new item in the GECK and stuffing the model in a different folder using a differently named .nif file. Seems the .egm made the game crash as the model was different from the one it was designed for.