[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to see progress picking up Baelkin. Wasn't a fan of the helmet very much (looked like a gerbil) but the armor looks sweet. :biggrin:

You sir have offended me! I demand a duel by pistols at dawn! :biggrin:

I regret the lack of updates the past couple of days, but I haven't really worked a whole lot on the textures. Instead of spending all my time on this project, I've been "getting my elf on" and been busy painting some miniatures I'd like to get done by the end of the month. I also have a D&D game coming up this weekend so the next progress update won't be before Sunday at the earliest, though I plan on using that day on putting some work in on the textures for the armour, so I should have something ready for posting by then.

Bleh, I really need a bunch of clones, or, if anyone is willing to sell/donate me their siblings, some slaves I can kick around, such that I can get work done on several projects simultanously. :P

You play D&D Bael? I used to play Pen n' Paper once at Marcus Whitman down in Port Orchard, but my teacher was a jackass and had me kicked out of the D&D Club because I was behind a few hours in my work -_- Anyways, nice to see you're doing so well on the armor! (Maybe too well... DUN DUN DUUUN <_<) Are you sure you're a novice at modding stuff like that? :P

Have fun and be safe modders!

Nero.

You play D&D Bael? I used to play Pen n' Paper once at Marcus Whitman down in Port Orchard, but my teacher was a jackass and had me kicked out of the D&D Club because I was behind a few hours in my work -_- Anyways, nice to see you're doing so well on the armor! (Maybe too well... DUN DUN DUUUN <_<) Are you sure you're a novice at modding stuff like that? :P

Have fun and be safe modders!

Nero.

Occassionally I get together with a few guys and play some casual D&D for laughs. We almost spend more time cracking jokes and messing around with the different gear lists and rules than actually progressing in the adventure, but it's all good fun - For instance, our GM accidentally used the word "erection" instead of "elevation" in the description of a hallway, and never heard the end of it throughout the rest of the session. It doesn't really help a whole lot that we are all quite nerdy, so we can't really help making a lot of cross references to other fantasy universes or genres either.

I mean, it can be a bit difficult taking an encounter seriously after something akin to the words "Looking down the hallway you see what seems to be an erection with an altar on it." have been uttered - at least not when everytime our party entered a new area we asked if we could see any erections in the vicinity. Throw in some LotR and MMO references into the mix ("Leeeerooooyyy! Jeeennkiiinnnns!" or "Mother#¤"!ing Mellon!") and you have yourself a pretty entertaining D&D session. ;D

Anyway, I just realised I forgot to turn the omnilight on when I baked the lightmaps for the textures, so I need to redo those which will take a bit (due to rendering them out in 2048 x 2048).

I regret the lack of progress on the textures for this project, but I've been kinda' busy painting miniatures and getting the balaclava to work... which it now does with full conformulation on both male and female heads. I think it looks a bit like a gimp mask, but I guess that's ok as I think it helps make it look a little scary compared to a normal balaclava.

There's some slight clipping issues when wearing it with the mask on a very wide face, but that's simply due to the fact that the mask does not conform to the face, while this item does. I don't think I can actually make both conform at the same time as I believe conforming items need to occupy the head or hair biped slot in the GECK, but I figure it's something I can look into at a later date. Anyway, here's a small teaser screenie of the balaclava:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/Baelkin/ScreenShot139.jpg

That's a fancy balaclava. I still can't wait to see some textures on that bad boy. By the way, about the pistol duel. I had to catch up with some family so I wasn't able to make it. Next time though... next time.

Aww shucks, I had even polished the grip for some stylish follow up pistol-whipping. :P

Anyway, I've been mucking about with the textures a bit and it seems that I need to make some slight adjustments to the mesh of the sleeves on forearms and solve other minor issues.

Due to the fact that I have modelled the vambraces as "partials" (ie. no polygons on the inside), there is a slim line between the vambrace and the sleeve where you can "see through" the mesh, which looks rather odd. I also discovered that the lower right arm also suffers from flipped normals (recieves inverse lighting), but the upper right arm does not, which means I have to adjust those as well in 3ds Max as NifSkope can only handle full mesh normal flipping.

The PipBoyOn part of the model is also a bit wonky as it doesn't quite line up to the arm, which again creates an ugly seam, which isn't conveniently hidden by other model features, so again I need to make some adjustments. Lastly, there's the fact that I have underestimated the importance of hiding your UV seams from view, which probably also needs some looking into at certain places like the lower back and butt of the model.

Man, I'm beginning to grow a little tired of this model. There's always *something* wrong everytime I think I'm done with a specific stage. :confused:

That's a fancy balaclava. I still can't wait to see some textures on that bad boy. By the way, about the pistol duel. I had to catch up with some family so I wasn't able to make it. Next time though... next time.

Man, I'm beginning to grow a little tired of this model. There's always *something* wrong everytime I think I'm done with a specific stage. :confused:

Murphy's Law? Maybe it would be a good idea to get somebody to help out?