[WIP] Cerberus Protect Gear: Armour

Baelkin

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I'm planning on making it high quality combat armour. I'm not too keen on every cool armour in the game being categorized as power armour, and, as far as I know, the suit in the IP doesn't really have anything to help the user carry it, which is techically why power armour is... well... powered. There are no pneumatic pistons that needs powering to aid moving the arms and legs, so there's not that much need to have a power supply integrated in the suit.

So instead of making it power armour, I've imagined the suit as heightening the wearers senses and reaction time by providing above human sensory functions, coupled with above standard armouring (ie. better than standard infantry armour). Instead of adding Strength and rad resistance, I'm thinking of giving it Perception (which also increases Exlosives skill) and permanent damage resistance (ie. it provides a decent damage absorbtion regardless of condition) to fit in with the original concept.

That being said, if you want it to be power armour, it should be easy enough to edit in the GECK - I'm just not too keen on it myself, but that doesn't prevent other people from using the model for this purpose. ;)

I will also make a MG42 once I'm done with this project unless someone beats me to it, but there's still quite a lot of work to be done before I can start on that one.

Oh, yeah, one thing though. It's "Keberos", lol, not Cerberus. Soz.

Depends. :)

Kerberos, in Greek spelled Kérberos, is the Greek phonetic for the creature of the same name in Greek Mythology, which is also the spelling in Japanese used for the IP (which, with Japanese Pronunciation and spelling with western types, actually would go something like "Keruberosu saga"). The anglorized version of the word Kérberos is spelled and pronunced "Cerberus", so the two are interchangable as the meaning, no matter what term and pronunciation is used, refers to the same concept.

In any case, I'll probably re-release everything strictly as "Protect Gear" as that's the correct "technical" term for the armour, rather than something with Kerberos and Cerberus and tag it with Cerberus, Kerberos, Jin-Roh, Panzer Cop and other popular culture synonyms. :D

do u have any idea when u will finish this? so i can fantisise about that day

When hell freezes over plus a couple of weeks I reckon. :D

I'm just beginning to figure what I have to consider when modelling the actual low poly model through trial and error using tutorials, so I'd minimum guesstimate somewhere between one and two weeks before I have a model that is properly unwrapped, which can also be textured. Once that's done I think it'll take somewhere around a week, maybe even a bit longer, for figuring out how to rig the mesh to a skelly, as well as figuring out how decapitation nodes work.

I'd reckon the rigging process would go much faster if I could find a well written, detailed tutorial on rigging the skeleton in 3dsMax, but sadly I haven't been able to find any. The best I've found so far is "rig it as usual for Oblivion", which doesn't really help me an aweful lot as I have no experience rigging for Oblivion - so I have to figure out most of it from extrapolating the techniques I need from reading material on Oblivion rigging and while they are similar, it requires a bit of an effort always having to translate between the two.

Meh, guess I should sit down and make a "how to make a custom armour with baked normals from scratch" tutorial once I'm done so that other people won't feel like I do about it at the moment (pretty clueless heh!). I know there are a few "tutorials" around here on the subject, but honestly, and no offence to the authors, I find them lacking. :whistling:

I know the feeling.

It took me ages to figure out how to map in GECK, everyone kept linking me to the same page which contained absoulutly no infomation about anything to do with mapping.

I eventually found a mapping tutorial disguised as something else on a site. and even then it took me a while to understand.

Modders on this site go on about how we should all just learn to mod ourselves and then write poor tutorials that don't explain anything. Quite counter productive if you ask me.

Modders on this site go on about how we should all just learn to mod ourselves and then write poor tutorials that don't explain anything. Quite counter productive if you ask me.

Myeah, I understand the point of view though. It encourages people to experiment and figure things out on their own, which is far more valuable than just following a set of guidelines mechanically - personally I've learned a lot by my projects not working or behaving like they should, which taught me what *not* to do which is just as important, or even more important, as learning what to do. The downside is that with limited and implicit documentation on how to make things work, you risk alienating a lot of people who might otherwise make some truly outstanding mods, which would benefit the entire community.

Anyway, I got my first proper normal baked texture made last night (using my M42 helmet and made a low poly version) and it looks "all right", so that covers how to make normal textures on somewhat smotth surfaces. Now I just need to figure out how much you can make things poke out of a surface using normal maps, after which I can begin modelling/reducing the current model to low poly. I'm aiming at around 1500 to 2000 polygons in total, meaning I'll have to make the relative same model with a polycount reduced by a factor 15. :sweat:

I've done alot of normal mapping on source, the thing about it is that stuff doesn't "Poke out" it mearly uses the lighting to look as though it has more bumps and vallys on it.

Its a nice effects but its only really good for stuff like scratches, rusting and engraving sort of stuff. but if you want to add any larger crevises or lumps then you should sculpt them into the model.