Doom 4

GenDonuts

I saw some of Doom 3 and gave it a pass. It just seemed to be a bit too labored of a game. Pretty much like what has been already said here. Too many things just jumping out at you without any reason. They should really drop the whole "boo, we scared you!" premise, and focus on better level designs. This is what made Doom 1 and Doom 2 as cool as they were. You had to run around, flipping switches, looking for hidden passages, and hoping that the next thing you did didn't unleash a horde of baddies on you. When you were getting close to some bad stuff, you often heard it moving around, grunting, and such. Too many things in Doom 3 were just ninja creatures, you don't know how they got where they did, and made no sounds until they were already jumping on you.

The other thing which made Doom 1 and 2 so great was the mods. I learned modding and level design from making fun stuff for Doom. And that was before the internet really existed. You got mods, and mod software from either buying them in the store, or from some gaming magazine, or from knowing which ftp addresses you could get those things from. Looking at a typical mod list for Doom 3...

http://www.igniq.com/2004/09/doom-3-mods-list_15.html

I can only be disappointed... Keep in mind that I posted what is above the link before even looking... No new levels, just minor game play and graphics changes... Those aren't mods, they're tweaks. There's no ability to make new levels, new environments, or challenges. And it's not exactly a new game at this point. THAT is where doom 3 went horribly wrong. Compare it to something similar, like Halflife 2, which also makes use of very complex environments, and the difference is clear... One is made to be modded, the other is not. One is still being played by people, and is still selling, the other is not. Unfortunately it seems like ID software is repeating the same mistakes they made with Quake. Quake 1 was the most modable of the series, and is still played today, despite the dated graphics, quake 3, 4... not so much.

Archived