Skyrim vram and lag fixes

Copywrite85

I have a powerful system, I have used texture pack combiner lite and scom and texture opimizer after. Sure its allot of textures but I have done everything to optimize it and I picked the lite versions whenever possible. I still am getting vram issues and stutters, lags etc. Hopefully some of you can provide advice on ini tweaks etc. I will provide my dxdiag. Thank you.

How much vRAM are you working with? Resolution, AA settings?

Looks like my dxdiag didn't attach :S

-amd fx 8350

-operating system on samsung 840 pro ssd

-16gigs ddr3

-nvidia gtx 680 oc 2gb

Resolution, AA settings?

2GB should be more than enough for TPC Lite with 4x AA. Are you sure it's a vRAM issue? Have you monitored vRAM usage and seen that you're using 1.9GB or more?

Resolution, AA settings?

2GB should be more than enough for TPC Lite with 4x AA. Are you sure it's a vRAM issue? Have you monitored vRAM usage and seen that you're using 1.9GB or more?

Yes I am using a monitoring tool. And yeh it gets up to 1.9 at times. I have used texture combiner with 2k lite, texture optimizer and the scom optimizer. I have a bunch of other texture mods like amidian book of silence and evlen overhaul. Still I would like to think my gtx 680 oc and 16gigs of ram could handle it. Thanks for trying to help me and I would appreciate any suggestions...I dont know how to post load order or I would.

Load order isn't a really big issue since you're running out of vRAM. Anything past ~5GB of System RAM is overkill for Skyrim as it's a 32-bit application; even though it's Large Address Aware, it can still only utilize ~3.2 GB of RAM. However, System RAM isn't what we're dealing with here. There's a number of things you can do (In order of impact on visual quality; least to greatest):

Either, go into the compatibility tab of Skyrim.exe and check the boxes to disable visual themes and desktop composition; or grab Razer GameBooster and set it up to close explorer.exe (and any other unnecessary background processes). That'll free up ~60 MB.

If you're running the Official High-Res Texture Pack, consider unpacking it from the .bsa's (BSAOpt can do this), repacking it into a single .7z/.zip/.rar and then installing it via NMM/MO choosing not to overwrite anything (You can do this manually, but it's typically easier and more maintainable to repack it and then use a manager to install it). This will reduce vRAM usage and decompression overhead (which causes stutter).

Set up Optimizer Textures (or whatever optimizer you prefer so long as it has the functionality to get the job done) to halve the size of all files that end in "_n.dds". These are normal maps and in the vast majority of cases, you'll notice no difference between 1:1 compared to 1:0.5 normals, but it will save a ton of vRAM. The most noticeable things would be detailed, ornate, clothing/swords/grass textures and you should be able to restore the 1:1 normals if you find a particular texture that has a noticeably blurry normal map. note: You actually have to set Optimizer Textures up to ignore all files that end in _a-z,1-0 (minus n). as it has no "include only" functionality to my knowledge, just "exclude".

Lower your AA settings. Maybe even grab an SMAA injector if that's a possibility. 2xAA with a well-tuned SMAA is comparable to 8xAA at nearly a quarter of the RAM cost, and reduced rendering workload.

Drop down to 8xAF, there's very few views where 16x is needed (most of them include distant rocks or water) and the few places it is needed, aren't very noticeable without a side-by-side comparison.

Edited by MShoap13