Weird moving rocks... huh? (video)

Glanzer

Anyone ever see this? I tried changing ground textures but the small rocks were still there. Also disabled all the SSELodgen and Dyndolod mods and their output, but that made no difference. What are these flat underground moving rock textures? They're all over the map, e.g. in the Whiterun farm fields, in the forests between Helgen and Riverwood, and even throughout Riverwood itself. I can't click on them in the console because they have no associated mesh.

It's a bit hard to see what's going on above ground in the video, but in game it looks like something is waving just below the surface. Wait until I tcl into the ground and you'll see what's going on!

https://youtu.be/Tm8pLJj0Svk

ah... that might be "rock-fall"/ "avalanche" rocks (not to be confused with the things bandits do) . I've encountered Skyrim's equivalent to avalanches a few times so far. I don't know if they're from vanilla or something I installed, but occasionally I encounter a rock fall while wandering around the outdoor areas of skyrim. (ie not caves or ruins, I mean outside and afaik near to mountains, although I can't quite recall exactly where... I think the last one was someplace on the inner edge of the mountain chain that defines the north east border of skyrim, South of Windhelm and east of the volcanic area, pressed up against the mountain, but I could be mistaken about where)

Okay... mystery solved. After some searching I found an LE mod that removes small rocks that actually had the pictures of these small rocks. Then I found the SE version of that mod and looked at its ESP in xedit. It turns out that the Verdant grass mod ADDS all these small rocks everywhere, and they are defined as GRASS objects! So I went into the 4 records in the Verdant plugin that use that particular rock mesh and changed the "wave period" from 60 to 0 and that solved the problem by making their underneath texture stationary instead of moving. I reported it in the Verdant mod here.