Backup and restore heavily FOMODed installation?

greenbee

Hi Folks,

I’ve been enjoying the bejeezus outta modded FO-NV for a few years, but I’ve come across an issue that I could use some assist with.

I’m trying to backup my heavily modded installation (with FOMM, multiple packages installed) on one PC and install it on another. I do a clean install and then just dump my whole backup of the NV main directory on to it, along with my backup of the FOMM program folder into the identical install location of the other computer.

Unfortunately, FOMM on the new PC doesn’t see the FOMOD packages I had installed, which naturally causes some problems and crashes.

So is there a way, something I’m missing, to essentially back up and restore my entire modded NV without the tedium of manually reinstalling the numerous FOMOD packages I’ve got goin’ on?

FOMODS have a limit of 4GB per file so don't bother there. Best way you can back up the game is completely copy the NV folder, then take your saves and INI's outta My Documents, then paste em straight back in to your new PC after reinstalling NV from disc/steam. Now be careful with the INI files, because they will reset upon launch of the game. If you haven't made to many adjustments to the INI then essentially don't worry about this, just reactivate Archive Invalidation and use NV Configator to readjust your settings. The main settings in the INI that will be no good is the hardware related ones, assuming you're installing on a new machine. So in retrospect of this, simple copy and paste back up method is what works best. I do this myself and have successful reinstalled my modded setup through Sys-Prep reinstalls, to complete format/reinstall of Windows.

Be sure to reinstall any programs you need after reinstalling NV, such as FNVedit, FOMM, Wrye etc etc.

EDIT: Not sure if you're meaning you want to back up the game in a FOMOD, but as for the FOMOD packages for mods, just copy all over to FOMM's FOMOD directory, don't install them again for now, if your current modded setup is good then as I said, copy it straight over to the new install/PC.

Thanks for your reply SMB92!

I tried to make sure I put all the FOMODs in the correct directory (FOMODS folder), the thing that worries me is that they don't show up in FOMM's Package Manager tab as being installed, which I was thinking was related to a location related CTD (which could of course just be a corrupted save among other things).

Since some important configuration options come with some FOMOD packages, I'm thinking it may be best for me to actually reinstall all the packages if there's no way to get FOMM (on the new machine) to recognize they've actually been installed.