Wisdom of the Ancestors - An Elder Scrolls RP

AurianaValoria1

Suetin Marczon: The Reach - Western Foot of the Karthspire Mountain

Routine scouting missions...no such thing.

“Die, you damned Imperial!” The Forsworn warrior shouted as he charged Suetin with axe in hand

The veteran Legion scout had his trusty Dwarven-alloy saber at the ready and parried an overhead chop from the Forsworn down to the right while simultaneously crossing the Reachman’s jaw with a left hook, which spun him sideways and sent him staggering backward. This gave Suetin time to slash him across his side and then spear him right in his ribs. The warrior yelped his death knell as Suetin retracted his blade.

Suetin wiped his saber on the man’s animalskin clothing and sheathed it. Then, he found a small rock and sat to try to catch his breath and inspect the cuts and bruises he had sustained. He conjured a small healing spell in his hands and set to healing his injuries. While recovering, he surveyed the corpses of six slain Forsworn that lay before him. He was supposed to be out of the Reach four days ago, but that botched scouting mission to the Thalmor outpost at Kolskeggr Mine had turned what should have been an easy reconnaissance into a hellish game of hide and seek with a troop of marauding Forsworn that had happened upon him while he was perched atop the mountain into which the mine led. He still wasn’t sure how he had missed them on the way up, but after years of operations that had taken him all across the Reach, he wasn’t surprised that he had missed them. The Forsworn were so well-versed in alien, taboo magic and so intimately familiar with the terrain of the Reach, that even large raiding parties could slink over and between the cliffs and hills as silently and stealthily as ghosts. Guerilla warfare was their culture – their way of life.

He wished that he had been able to linger at the mine a while longer and observe more, but he was thankful that he had at least managed to take stock of how many Thalmor soldiers were camped outside the mine. There were a lot – easily two hundred strong.

After ensuring that all his pressing injuries had been addressed, he remained seated for a few minutes to calm his mind and examine his plight. It had barely been dawn when he was chased from Kolskeggr Mine, and his southeasterly flight had brought him right up against the western foot of the mountain that housed the Karthspire and cradled the legendary Blades stronghold of Skyhaven Temple on its summit. Now that he had a moment’s rest, he grimaced at the unfortunate task that lay before him. He knew he couldn’t sneak around the mountain to the north because of the massive Forsworn camp outside the Karthspire’s entrance and Red Eagle Redoubt beyond. He also knew he couldn’t sneak around to the south because of the numerous Forsworn raiding teams based in nearby Reachcliff Cave prowling the river. This left him with only one other option – scaling Karthspire Mountain and then descending down the other side. Once that was done, he would have to make haste westward to the Imperial base at the Old Hroldan Inn.

Suetin tarried for a short while longer, but finally rose and stretched his muscles to try and limber them up a little more. He was aging, and climbing and freerunning were mostly activities for the young. However, he had learned to be persistent out in the field, and he knew he had to get moving before more Forsworn found him. In light of this, he heaved a heavy sigh, took a long swig from his canteen, and sauntered up to the mountain.

It was difficult finding handholds and footholds in the cracked and dimpled mountainside, but Suetin made use of every single nook, cranny, and outcropping he could. Slowly but surely, he inched his way upward, blinking away the sweat in his eyes. It took a full three hours’ time, but the nimble scout managed to finally crest the top of Karthspire Mountain just after midday. His ascent completed, Suetin found the shadiest spot he could and plopped down to rest.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorinyarie: Dawnstar – The White Hall, Strategy Room

“So, how do you reckon Whiterun is?” Lieutenant Vernantus asked Sorinyarie as the pair studied an overall map of the province together at the main central table.

“Bloody. Very bloody.” Sorinyarie answered simply.

“Well, yeah...but I wonder who’s in control of it right now.” Vernantus clarified.

“Not sure, really. If it’s not in our hands, then I hope it’s at least not in the Thalmor’s.” Sorinyarie replied.

“Aye, we can pray for that at least. I wonder where Suetin’s at right now.” Vernantus said.

“Last I heard, he was out in the Reach, looking into the disappearances of a few supply wagons from Lieutenant Belinossa’s convoy.” Sorinyarie answered.

“Suetin was part of that company?” Vernantus asked, cocking a brow at the battlemage.

“Apparently so.” Sorinyarie said.

“Ah, gods...I swear, Belinossa’s ‘expedition’ into the Reach is going to just be a waste of good men and precious resources. Tried to tell him it was way too soon to be trying something like this, but he just refused to listen.” Vernantus lamented.

“Belinossa’s never been known for his patience.” Sorinyarie noted.

“Nope. I just hope he hasn’t gone and gotten Suetin killed. That scout’s too damn good of a soldier to be subjected to that man’s whim, in my opinion. Hell, he’s probably got him out there scouting Thalmor encampments and Forsworn dens on top of finding out where those supplies went.” Vernantus said.

“Yeah. Well, Sir, I...kind of get the feeling you didn’t ask me in here just to speculate about random things.” Sorinyarie quipped.

“Aye, you’re right. I didn’t. Sorin, I’m relieving you of your posting here. Let’s be honest, there’s not much happening here and a battlemage of your caliber needs to be active instead of just waiting around all the time. So, I want you to go ride through our holdings and find a more active post – something that will keep you busy, alright?” Vernantus admitted as he extended a sealed cylinder. “Inside this is a note saying you are relieved from here with my signature on it. Just show it to the commanding officer of wherever you go, and it should all be fine.”

Sorinyarie was slightly surprised by the lieutenant’s gesture, but readily welcomed a chance to move somewhere with more to do. “Well, thank you, Sir. I think I know just where to go.” She said, her face beaming as she turned to leave.

“And where would that be, Miss?” Vernantus asked with a chuckle.

“The Rift. There’s gossip going around saying that the trouble with bandits over there has gotten worse and worse in the past couple of months. I reckon there’s enough mages involved in operations against Whiterun, so I’m going to head into the Rift to help out.” Sorinyarie answered before quitting the room.

The battlemage exited the White Hall and loosed her horse, which was tethered to one of the supports for the building’s stoop. She mounted the beast and meandered through town to the road. Once she was past all the pedestrians, she spurred her steed to a gallop and sped along the road, veering southeast as soon as the icy mountains and ridges would allow it.

Sorinyarie’s horse was a fleet creature, and by noontime, she had traversed the Pale and was charging through Eastmarch – a feat partly due to the fact that she was familiar enough with the lands to take shortcuts off of the roads whenever possible. However, the Altmer happened upon a peculiar sight on the road leading from Windhelm in the middle of Eastmarch Hold.

Sorinyarie whoaed her horse to an abrupt halt and stared at the sight. A whole squad of dead Thalmor lay butchered at the feet of an unusual band of adventurers. She surveyed the group, wary of their intentions. She had made far too much noise in her approach to not be noticed.

It didn’t take long for her stare to gravitate toward one individual in particular – the one in the Indoril armor. She recognized it as the armor of the old Temple Ordinators, a breed nearly extinct in present day. Seeing the suit briefly kindled old memories of her fighting at Fort Floodgate alongside Faeryn Sethandas and company. She admired that Dunmer’s daring and skill. The battlemage couldn’t linger on the thoughts, though. She had people to watch.

Sorinyarie hoped the bunch would prove friendly, since she was totally disadvantaged if the group turned hostile. She also wondered whether the Legion insignia emblazoned upon her chainmail shirt was a blessing or a curse at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------

Serrabinashiah Masseribalit: Northern Falkreath

“You die today, you Imperial dog!”

The shout echoed within Serra’s ears in hundred-fold paraphrase as she bolted through the towering trees of Northern Falkreath with a Thalmor patrol just behind her. A flurry of arrows and all magical missiles of the Destruction school accompanied the elves’ death threats and pounding footsteps. Not a single projectile found its mark though, and try as they might, the High Elves couldn’t close the gap between themselves and the wily Legion scout. Serra had her reputation as one of the most elusive creatures in the Empire’s service for a reason, and each thunk of an arrow in a tree or spell exploding on the ground only made her run harder.

Serra tore northward to the pass between the mountains separating Falkreath from Whiterun. In due time, she reached the road leading to the pass with her Thalmor pursuers audibly close behind. Her adrenalined body flew down the path and finally, she reached the pass. The scout wasted no time in legging it through.

Quickly enough, Serra made it through the pass and veered to the right, mindful that she had to make for friendly territory. By this time, she had given up looking behind her to observe the status of her assailants. She just ran, and ran, and ran deeper into central Whiterun, not stopping for several miles more.

It was a long while yet before Serra’s legs finally broke down, but they eventually did. She clumsily staggered to a halt and stumbled onto her knees, nearly faceplanting into the dirt. Her breaths were heavy gulps of air, and each second of exhaustion that had been forgotten during her sprint now flooded her in force. She couldn’t hear the Thalmor behind her anymore, but she knew that if they were still after her, there was little she could do. On that note, she nervously turned her head around to see her fate, and to her immeasurable relief, not a soul was in sight. She started laughing an incredulous laugh – laughter not born of comedic impression, but partial disbelief that she was still alive. The scout crawled over to a rock by the roadside and sat up against it, thoroughly spent.

Serra stayed there for a couple of hours until around noon, when the directly overhead sun stirred her to movement again. She had a hangover from her adrenaline rush and was lethargic at first, but she gradually came into alertness. She tried to rise, and although she faltered at first, she was able to stand while braced against the rock. It took time, but she was able to stand solidly enough to start walking again.

After a few shaky first steps, she fell into a tenable pace and ambled down the road into Whiterun. She hoped to avoid any more trouble and make Eastmarch by sundown.

Edited by SoulofChrysamere

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sienna listened to Adrynn's words with a brow raised... hew as blessed by Azura in a way so strong he recieved visions from the Daedra? A blessing, but also a curse she could not help but note... he was in considerable pain from recieving but images, but it seemed to be stemming from the brand on his wrist.

"You are certainly an interesting man, Adrynn... I can't say I was expecting a blessed of the Twilight Mistress. Here, this should ease your pain." Leaning down Sienna used her blade for support and cast a shower of golden restorative magic upon the old Redoran warrior, hoping it would remove the burning in his arm.

She pulled her blade free and stepped forward as an Altmer on horseback veered to a halt before them, pointing wrath at the woman she warned "Stay back Altmer, unless you wish to end up like... Apologies, you bear the seal of the Legion, not the emblem of the Thalmor." Sienna's blade dropped to her side as a show hostilities were over.

------

Iodiria had made slow progress through the mountains she had traversed to reach Azura's shrine in the first place, first driven along by the heavy winds, but soon her pace changed to one of slow march as the wind shifted direction, Icy air pelting her face without any sign of mercy. The Indoril raised her arm to shield her face in the way she used to in the ashstorms of Vvardenfell... ah morrowind, it was so far away now.

Many hours had passed, perhaps even days, before she reached the familiar sight of the Nightgate in, marking her descent back into Eastmarch... But where to from there? Her task was to find Adrynn, but where was he? Skyrim was a vast land, and to search it entirely would prove to be an impossible task when in need. She devised that the most logical option would be to check the cities first, to see if any had seen the old Redoran. He wasn't one most would forget, that was for sure, and if she remembered anything of the man, it was that he valued his kinsmen.

Of course, the Grey Quarter! That would be her first destination then, to see if the bedraggled Dunmer there had seen him.

Xenaxes stood at the foot of the Sigil Keep at Ganohah. Long ago, the Kyn had been shamed here by the 'Hero of Kvatch'. He entered the Sigil Keep and looked around. It had been a long time, the tower was mostly filled with Churls, some of whom had patrolled this...

Wait, something was wrong.

The interior of the tower seemed to be getting darker. For a moment he could have sworn they were moving... He'd felt this way before, he shouted in frustration but his words were lost in the purple void that was surrounding him. He felt himself yanked from the deadly, thrown through the void of the universe. It was all over in less than a second or two.

He appeared in a forest, he turned just in time to see a blade fall towards him. He jumped backwards, the tip of the blade moving just inches from his helmet. He drew his sword

"Shatter, weakling!" He screamed as he darted forwards, bringing his sword down onto the Orc bandits helmet. The bandit stumbled back, dazed by the blow, but it had not pierced his helmet. Xenaxes swung his sword, the blade cut deep into the chest of the Orc, piercing his rusty iron chest piece and setting him ablaze. Xenaxes laughed harshly as the bandit stumbled around, screaming as he attempted to extinguish the flame. But the flame extinguished his life first. "There could be no other end." He said to the corpse.

Xenaxes turned to see the mage who had summoned him, a young fool who had tried a spell way past his level of skill. The young mage had been cowering behind the Dremora, but slowly apporached thinking he had succeeded in his casting

"I bound you... I summoned you. I control you now" The mage said, grinning at his perceived achievement. He approached Xenaxes, only to meet the tip of a blade. He was speechless from surprise and pain as he looked into the Dremora's helmet. Xenaxes chuckled to himself

"You control nothing, Mortal. Now die and curse my name!" Xenaxes growled to the mages face, he twisted his blade in the mages stomach before yanking it out with all his might. The mage let out his final breath as he fell in a clump to the floor.

Xenaxes sniffed the air... and almost choked on it. He had forgotten how Nirns air was so different to that of the deadlands. He stood still for a moment, allowing his senses to take it all in. The cool air, the sounds of animals as they moved through the forest, the songs of birds which had began again now the noise from the combat had died down. "So I am trapped here once more." He sighed to himself. He sheathed his sword and turned away from the bodies. He walked away from the site, full of anger for this... intrusion.

Ra'Qassar's fur bristled slightly at the approach of the Altmer legionnaire. He drew his bow and knocked at arrow incredibly quickly, training it on her bosom. When he noticed the legion signet, he lowered his bow and slackened his pull on the string, but he did not drop it like Sienna did. No one would ever say that Ra'Qassar died because he let his guard down. In these troubled times, uniforms meant little or nothing. Any idiot could strip a corpse on a battlefield or roadside skirmish, or even get some paints and fake it. This rider had the misfortune of being both legion and Altmer, two of Ra'Qassar's least favorite demographics during this accursed war.

Ra'Qassar nodded slightly after Sienna dropped her weapon, but he kept up his weapons to show that no interference would be tolerated. "Hail Altmer, I am Ra'Qassar, Thane of Whiterun hold, and these adventurers are aiding the jarl in eliminating a Thalmor threat. What brings you to us?"

--------------------------------------------------

Baltis eventually progressed to the farthest reaches of Labyrinthian, he approached a massive stone door, he had already passed the hall of stories, this must be the chamber where Morokei dwelled not so long ago when the former Arch-Mage Arnand Creytin destroyed him to reclaim the Staff of Magnus. Llervu attempted to push the doors open mundanely, but found them to be sealed. Agitated, he coursed power through his bones and released a massive explosion of energy on the stone door, blasting a large crater in it. The door became unstable and began to crumble away, the lich focused his magical energies and created a barrier, preventing the debris from closing the entrance. As he did so, he thought he detected a very strange presence-dark, familiar... he wondered. His musings were cut short however as he noticed a bloody scene. Crusty stains bathed the place, but there hadn't been moisture or movement to remove the age old blood. Two Draugr Death Overlords stood, one bearing a greatsword, the other a massive battleaxe, both stood, feet shoulder width apart, head down with their weapons in hand, pressed into the stone floor. Baltis's presence stirred them and their eyes lit with blue energy. Suddenly a variety of corpses rose, their eyes glowing blue as well, the rest of the draugr clan awakened. There were too many powerful draugr for Llervu to quell efficiently. It could be done, but it would require concentration and patience. He would rather just obliterate them, rather than cull them for the duration of his explorations. He smirked slightly as he rose from the ground and readied spells of fire and devastation. His eyes shown a bright, contrasting crimson to the Draugrs' misty blue.

Faeryn noticed the Altmer woman, and he did a double-take, mouth dropping open in shock. This couldn't all be coincidence, it just couldn't be. Patting Adrynn's shoulder to get his attention, the Ordinator pointed, "Unless my eyes are deceiving me, that's Sorinyarie!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velanya was busy dragging all of the Forsworn corpses out into the courtyard, making a funeral pyre out of all of the junk that the Reachmen had decided to bring with them. She also took out everything that wouldn't be of use to the new Blades...broken furniture, ruined books, and the like. It didn't seem as though the Dovahkiin's recruits had done anything to renovate the temple at all, and so much of her efforts would be focused on this. Much to her chagrin, there was a gaping hole in the ceiling, allowing water to drip into the main hall any time it rained - which in the Reach, was almost every day. The smell of mold was almost unbearable; she would have to communicate Sky Haven's poor condition to Morgiah as soon as possible.

Only Velanya was aware of the Black Queen's true identity...how she fled from Alinor and hid in the ranks of the Elder Council. Of course, the Dunmer only knew these things because Morgiah expressed a shared interest in reviving the order of the Blades, something that the rest of the Council would never consider. Not now, at least. But Morgiah was nothing if not resourceful and cunning, and Velanya had no doubt that the queen had her hooks in several other Council members already. That was why it was imperative that she work quickly...to build up a force of Blades that the Council could not deny or eliminate and that the Penitus Oculatus would never even realize existed until it was too late.

The Oculatus knew Velanya was here, of course. After all, she had gone to Skyrim under the guise of collecting information about the Thalmor...and she wasn't necessarily neglecting those duties. However, they had no idea that she had her own personal mission to resurrect the Blades of old. If they found out...

Well, it was best not to think of such things.

At the approach of the mounted Altmer, Adrynn had lain his had on his sword, ready as always to fight if need be. Though Sienna's magick had removed most of Adrynn's discomfort, it was more the shock of what Azura had done then the actual pain that shook him. He pushed it from his mind as Faeryn shook him.

At Sorinyarie's mention, Adrynn took a step forward and squinted his sharp Elven eyes. There was no mistaking the sharply proud yet humble features of Lecuaro's right hand Battlemage. He felt his jaw slacken momentarily, then smiled. This was indeed an interesting day.

"Hail Sorinyarie! You are among friends here," Adrynn called out, limping a few steps forward and throwing back his cloak so the Bonemold was revealed. He hoped she remembered who he was as he steadily made his way toward her. His limp was all but forgotten in his excitement.

Suetin Marczon: Karthspire Mountain – Skyhaven Temple Courtyard

Suetin had been tempted to pass out following his ascension from the mountain’s base, but he had a sudden assistance in resisting it when he heard noise coming from the direction of the temple. He was hidden behind a pair of boulders underneath the overhang where he was, so he peered through a slit between the rocks to see who was there. He noticed a Dunmeri woman dressed in a suit of Legion plate who was busily hauling Forsworn corpses and paraphernalia out into the courtyard, and she seemed to be constructing a makeshift funeral pyre to burn the bodies. The scout was wary of the figure, but her uniform gave him hope that the gods had provided a chance ally for him. Still, he knew that there was always the chance that she could be just a mercenary or marauder masquerading as one of the Empire’s soldiers.

Suetin cautiously inched partway out from behind the rock and called to the armored elf. “Hail, Dunmer! Legion?” He hoped the Legion symbol on his chestpiece would encourage a friendly if careful response.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sorinyarie: Eastmarch – The Road from Windhelm

As Sorinyarie was hoping, her Legion uniform helped to defuse the surprise she had given the group. There was still some unsurety, though. The woman closed to her had recanted her threat upon recognizing her Legion affiliation, but the Khajiit with a readied arrow kept his shot primed. The battlemage was about to answer the same Khajiit’s request for identification when she heard the Ordinator mention her name. It was a voice that she thought she had heard before, though likely long ago. Then, the cloaked man he had shaken to notify called out directly to her by name in a clear voice that she keyed on. The Redoran throwing his cape back to reveal the telltale Gah-Julan bonemold armor and advancing toward her confirmed who he was.

Adrynn? And is that you, Faeryn?” Sorinyarie asked incredulously in quasi-disbelief.

At the exchange between Adrynn, Faeryn and this, Sorinyarie, Ra'Qassar at last lowered his bow and arrow completely and stowed them. He waited until the clearly heartfelt reunion was completed, or at least wrapping up before he approached and offered his hand to the Altmer woman, "I apologize, one can never be too careful in these times." Ra'Qassar was not sorry for his caution, but did want to let the woman know that there were no ill feelings. He hoped, but did not expect that this would be a two-way street however. He was far beyond such naive assumptions and wishful thinking.

After his greeting, Ra'Qassar retreated to speak with some of the other newcomers such as the new Nord companion and his wolf. Ra'Qassar approached the pair and Felix.

Faeryn followed Adrynn with a quickened pace, "It's us, Sorin! Thank the gods we found you before those Thalmor did."

Sandhya, leaned against the tree and purred, her tail still twitching.

Interesting indeed....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Velanya looked up from the pyre to see an Imperial soldier heading towards her.

Well, this is going to be awkward.

"Aye, Legion," she called, "What brings a lone Imperial scout to these parts? Not hounded by the Thalmor, are you?"

Suetin Marczon: Karthspire Mountain – Skyhaven Temple Courtyard

The Dunmer’s confirmation eased Suetin’s nerves a bit

“Ah, thank the gods. And no, I’m not being hounded by the Thalmor, but those damn Forsworn have been chasing me southeast ever since I met a group of them while spying on the Thalmor at Kolskeggr Mine. I got chased up against this mountain, and seeing as how I couldn’t very well sneak around either way for how the Forsworn have set up camp all around it, I uh...had to climb straight up this thing. Although, you being in Legion plate, I’m guessing you came in through the Karthspire...which means you probably dealt with that camp down there too. You certainly cleaned these guys up.” Suetin said as he rolled his shoulders, which were still a bit sore from the climb. The early stages of rheumatism were a pain.

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorinyarie: Eastmarch – The Road from Windhelm

Sorinyarie shook the Khajiit’s hand understandably. “No hard feelings, Elsweyrian. I can’t scold caution, especially in times like this.”

After the Khajiit returned to the rest of the group, Sorinyarie refocused on Adrynn and Faeryn.

“Aye, Faeryn. I reckon I owe you and everyone else my thanks for finding these guys before I did.” Sorinyarie agreed as she dismounted her horse and gave it the command to stay. “Heh...this is a one-in-a-million chance meeting! So, what the hell are you two doing in Skyrim? And with these other warriors? I haven’t seen either of you since Fort Floodgate!” She excitedly asked Adrynn and Faeryn as she extended her hand to the old Redoran. The sight of two old comrades brought forth more recollections of days long past.

Edited by SoulofChrysamere