Wisdom of the Ancestors - An Elder Scrolls RP

AurianaValoria1

Baltis took the offered hand. His heart felt lighter after that. He had not expected the war veteran to be so quick to forgive him, but it had been 200 years. Kriak also always had an interesting affect on people. "I wish I could have saved her, I wish I could bring her back. That memory still plagues me. As you said though, nothing can undo what happened. To new beginnings Adrynn. Let us honor her memory with our present and future, perhaps then we shall cease to be broken men." For that was what they were. Adrynn's world had been shattered when everything was taken from him in the Oblivion Crisis and Baltis, well, if he hadn't been broken he would never have even met Adrynn.

He had loved his apprentice, the son he had never had, nor would ever be able to have. The young man was his pride and joy, not the fastest learner but one of the most passionate people he had ever met. The lad was dedicated and always eager to learn and to please. They had worked together for several years when he vowed to return with a powerful artifact that would prove himself worthy of becoming a Telvanni Wizard. Baltis had warned him, tried to tell him to be careful, that there were better ways, safer ways. But the boy would not hear it. He had never liked the company of the rest of the Telvannni and refused to wait at their beck and call to earn his advancement. What he had not understood was the peril of searching for the Bittercup. Baltis had wanted to help him, but knew that if he interfered, the council would never accept him. He waited as long as he could, and as long as he dared before journeying to Dagon Fel and then to Ald Redaynia. He had found the body mere hours after his apprentice fell. He had still never confided in anyone about his grief. He had thought of telling Kriak, but had always had a sense that the hunter had larger troubles on his mind.

----------------------------------------

Galus examined the rest of the group, feeling a stranger amongst them. They didn't stare at him, but he felt like he could feel hatred rolling off of them. He did not regret anything. It was for the good of Tamriel, it always had been. But would these new companions ever understand? He had betrayed the Thalmor, and killed the men and woman who had defended him with their lives, how could they ever trust him. He sat on his heals staring into the fire. He vaguely became aware of a Khajiiti woman next to him, "What's your story Khajiit?" He asked, a weak and forced attempt at conversation he knew, but he had to start somewhere.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sandhya narrowed her silvery eyes at the Thalmor elf, who was suddenly now not an enemy...or something like that. The khajiit had forgotten how exactly he had escaped being eviscerated, or why he wasn't being attacked by the others in the group. Something to do with that strange armored fellow who smelled funny...

She hugged her knees as she sat there and looked sideways at him, "What is there to tell? Sandhya was born in Skyrim. She has always been in Skyrim. Sandhya travels a lot...makes her living any way she can. This one has not been to Elsweyr, but she would like to someday...someday when the Thalmor aren't there..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velanya paced around Sky Haven Temple, wondering what else to do.

The whole place was, when it came right down to it, a wreck. She had started to clean up the temple a bit more, even placing an order for furniture to be delivered to Markarth...with the bill sent to Morgiah to handle. But that wouldn't be here for another week. Until then, it was sleeping on mildewed cots or half-wet stones for the agent. It would take time to recruit trustworthy people to help renovate...time she wasn't sure she or Morgiah had.

She wondered how Suetin and Gregor were making it. She hoped they hadn't run into trouble; the Thalmor were everywhere, their hooks in every nook and cranny in the Empire. Velanya could only hope that Morgiah could somehow make the Council see the need for the old order...

She sat on a stone bench just inside the doors to the courtyard, completely absorbed in her own thoughts. The Dunmer pulled at a few strands of her bangs, seeing the glint of silver amongst the mahogany hair, and sighed heavily. She wondered how much Faeryn and Adrynn had greyed by now. Velanya laughed lightly to herself and shook her head. They were becoming relics of the distant past...

Speaking of Adrynn and Faeryn, those two should have received her message by now....should be on their way to the temple, soon. She missed them both, as she hadn't laid eyes on either of them in nearly forty years. Even though she and her cousin had not parted on too good of terms, she always worried for him. And Faeryn...

Faeryn. She still wasn't quite sure what Faeryn was to her. He seemed more than a friend at times, and sometimes nothing more than a stoic companion. It pained her to think that, as a true Ordinator, he was one of the last of his kind. The Redorans had come out of the Red Year and the Great War stronger than the Indorils had. The full destruction of the old Tribunal Temple had also contributed to the diminishing of Nerevar's House. Without Vivec or Saryoni to order him around, Faeryn was actually completely free to choose his own path, but she was not so sure that he enjoyed it.

One of the last letters she had received from him hinted that he was a restless soul in Blacklight trying to find a piece of mind. Judging by the dates, her own parents had moved back there shortly before he did. They wanted her to come with them, just as Adrynn had before them, but she still refused to go. Her concern about and loyalty to the Empire was too great. Now, she wondered if such loyalty had torn a rift between her and many others - a rift that would never mend...

Velanya felt a few tears trickle down her cheeks and a deep pain in her heart. She missed them...oh, how she missed them all. Adrynn, Faeryn, Caius, Lecuaro, Kriak, Sorin, and Serra...even the Nerevarine, who had gone his own way after they had cured him of Mehrunes Dagon's influence. They were all like treasures that had slipped through her grasp like water...all because of her unflinching desire to protect and serve.

Adrynn nodded and pushed open the door leading out of Labyrinthian. He stopped for a moment, closed his eyes, and took a long deep breath. Kriak's return and revelations had boosted Adrynn's spirit in a way he didn't fully understand. That, and letting go of his murderous hatred of a man he blamed for something that couldn't be changed. Even if that man was a lich. He glanced sidelong at Baltis, his former enemy turned companion yet again and began to chuckle to himself at the irony. The threads of fate were slowly drawing everyone back together for one more hurrah. Perhaps their last. But it would be their greatest.

He stepped over to the fire and took a moment to warm himself, thinking over his next move. He looked over everyone present for a long moment, gauging, measuring, evaluating their worth. Some, like Svarn and Felix, had proven their worth as valuable fighters, though he didn't think their path lay with his. Others, like Sienna, had faltered when she was needed most, though Adrynn kept his thoughts private on that matter. He figured she was berating herself enough about it without his opinion. His eyes strayed to Galus, and to Sandhya beside him. The Thalmor turned traitor seemed a bit uneasy, though the Redoran didn't blame him. Anyone who had been hunted from Whiterun to this far flung corner of Skyrim only to destroy the very ones keeping him alive and joining with his hunters was definitely someone to keep an eye on. Adrynn intended to do just that. The Khajiit, on the other hand, was quite a capable fighter, but her path was her own, as it was for most of the cat folk. His gaze swept over Sorinyarie, who had displayed an incredible amount of magickal prowess in the ruin, surprising the Redoran, though he had heard tales of her extraordinary magickal use before.

Finally, he glanced to Baltis and Ra'Qassar. The lich was unreadable, though Adrynn could guess his motives. The Khajiiti Thane of Whiterun on the other hand, was unconscious, though Adrynn hoped that Ra'Quassar would awaken soon enough, so he could assess his injuries. The Khajiit was a mystery for now, one better left to unravel another time.

Adrynn stood up, resting his hand on the pommel of his sword, his dark heavy cloak folding around him.

"My companions, now it is time for those among us to make a choice," he started, his deep Dunmeri voice carrying to them all. "I am going west, to the Rift. Those among you who are accompanying me are free to come along, or go your own way, if you wish," he said, eying Sorinyarie and Baltis. "The rest of you who came here to claim the bounty on the escaping Thalmor, I would say your mission is complete, as all the Thalmor who attacked Whiterun are dead." He made sure to give a hard look to Galus, his meaning clear. "Thalmor, it is needless for me to say this, but your life as an agent of the Aldmeri Dominion is forfeit. And by any account, you died in that ruin there," Adrynn said, pointing back to the Labyrinthian. He sincerely hoped the rest understood the chance he was giving Galus, and that they would stay their tongues otherwise. "Therefor, I say it is best you accompany myself and the few who travel with me and start a new life, aye?"

The Redoran's eyes burned like bright flames as he finished, staring hard into the eyes of the Altmer, waiting for his answer.

As they exited the ruins, Baltis deposited the unconscious Ra'Qassar near the fire, pleased to see his color returning rapidly. For good measure, Baltis cast a spell upon the Khajiit that left him with a blue-purple aura for a brief moment before dissipating. It was a variation on the spell that Baltis had used to defeat the skeletal dragon and also absorb magicka from the stones themselves. The spell bestowed the gift on Ra'Qassar, allowing his strength to replenish even faster. He stood next to Adrynn as the Redoran spoke with Ra'Qassar behind both of them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galus sat quietly as Adrynn spoke. Slowly he felt his blood start to boil. No one understood. How could they. And so when the Dunmer finished speaking, Galus stood and spilled his guts.

"I will not start a new life, but I will pick up an old one. I was never a Thalmor, never. No matter how much they thought I was. For years I have worked with them. I know every fortress in Skyrim and every one of their commanders and garrisons. I know the Thalmor plan to conquer Skyrim and then the rest of Tamriel. I am not Sinderion of Summerset, the traveling Magus the Thalmor thought I was. I am Galus Faramel, the last descendant of the line. My family has only ever known two true foes: him-" He pointed an accusing finger at Baltis, "and the Thalmor. I will not rest until I see every Thalmor Justiciar dead. All I have done, I have done for the good of the Empire, and this is only the beginning." He ripped the collar of his cloak along with the metal signet of his rank and threw it into the fire with disgust. "That is for the Thalmor." Now he reached beneath his cloak and produced his amulet: an Amulet to Talos, "And this is for Skyrim." He let it fall onto his chest, plain for all to see for the first time in years. It had reminded him of what he was fighting for for a long time.

His rant was less charismatic and articulate than his normal speech, but it came from the heart. He had never told anyone. He had lived a lie for so many years just to topple the regime. Not even his uncle knew. But now, finally he was free. He had planned to leave after this latest attack on Whiterun, had been hopeful when his command was followed by such a determined group of Thalmor hunters. He had never dared hope that they would be heading to the Karthspire, that could only mean one thing: the Blades. And the Blades would be fighting the Thalmor, so much the better for him. He had not died in that ruin, he had been reborn like some great phoenix rising from the ashes.

----------------------------------------

Ra'Qassar stirred in the middle of Adrynn giving some speech to the group. He flexed his arm, the pain of feeling returning to the nerves was stinging, but also a pleasant sign. He wasn't entirely sure how he had ended up here, but he slowly rose while the Thalmor was speaking. He head little and less of what the light skinned mer was saying, but got the gist of it. He was always for the Empire and her people, a double agent. When he had finished, Ra'Qassar approached Adrynn, "You and these fine people have helped secure Whiterun for now. Her immediate danger is over. If Whiterun is to stay free, however, these Thalmor must be destroyed for good and all. I will go with you Ser."

-----------------------------------------

Baltis frowned at the Faramel boy's hatred towards him, that would require some explanation at some point as well. He had much and more to answer for. One archenemy turned friend, only to be replaced by a new one with no huntsman to stay his wrath. He sighed slightly, but was pleased at Galus's overall message. It boded well for the boy and the group. When Ra'Qassar rose, he was pleasantly surprised at how quickly he recoverd, this man is a strong one. He was even happier by Ra'Qassar's choice to accompany Adrynn as well, Baltis could hardly keep both promises to Kriak if Ra'Qassar and Adrynn parted ways. "I'll come along as well Adrynn, though you likely guessed at that," he chuckled.

Sandhya's grin exploded into full-blown laughter. The khajiiti thief rocked back on her rump, and kicked her heels she was laughing so hard. To anyone else, the situation would likely not be funny at all...but Sandhya always found humor in things that others would not. As to why she was laughing, it was really quite simple: the Altmer had done exactly what the khajiit would do if she were in his shoes. But at the same time, she was also laughing at how cheesy his speech was...especially if it was an attempt to dupe them.

When she finally stopped her chuckling, she stood, "This one sees little reason to collect the bounty for these Thalmor fools by herself...after all, it was the rest of you who did the actual fighting. Sandhya will come along as well. Perhaps there is more reward to be had wherever you are going."

Suetin Marczon: Imperial City - Graveyard Mausoleum

Suetin accepted the envelope and pocketed it. "The pleasure's all mine. Not every day I get to meet somebody this important." He said as he turned to go.

He went a few steps, but turned back before completely leaving. "If I may, Miss...you don't pull off 'old crone' very well." He quipped with a small nod. He then exited the building, hoping the Queen would discern the masked compliment.

Once back in the land of sunlight, Suetin readied himself for the trek back to Skyrim and Skyhaven Temple. It would take a couple of weeks, but if he could make it going one direction, he reckoned he could make it again going in reverse. He would be forced to reenter Skyrim at the Helgen pass, though. Gregor's status was the only thing preventing his induction into the ranks of the dead inside those necromancer dens that wound throughout the inside of the mountains. Still, he knew how to keep the loss of time as minimal as possible. He didn't attain the unofficial title of Best Legion Scout by being sluggish.

On that note, he set out, first exiting the Imperial City and then persuading the guards at the Prison's perimeter to ferry him back across the moat. Afterward, he managed to once again maneuver around the Thalmor troops at Sercen and forged northward back through the woods alongside the Silver Road. It was simply too dangerous for him to be on the open path.

===========================

Sorinyarie: Outside the Labyrinthian

The skirmishes following the fight in that great chamber had drained what little strength remained in Sorin. There was the tiniest inkling of magicka that had returned to her, and that was purely through the virtue of her lineage. After hearing Sienna's apology and sensing the intense self-disdain that oozed from it, she walked over and knelt beside the veteran warrior.

"You weren't the only one that place sucked dry, you know. Really, the only reason I managed that huge fireball was because of my race's natural affinity for all things arcane. And I don't recall asking to be born an Altmer." Sorin said simply. It was true. Nobody was immune to the Labyrinthian's remorselessly parasitic walls.

The speeches from Adrynn and Galus had driven recent devlopments home. The detour was done, and it was now time to head into the Reach to meet up with Velanya, Serra, and Faeryn. She hoped to the Nine that they were all still safe. The Forsworn weren't typical bandits; they were much more savage, had considerably more experience in foul magics, and were actually capable of basic tactical operations. All that coupled with their sheer numbers made them a danger for anyone.

"Well, I wish you all safe travels back to Whiterun. My companions and I are far from done with our work." Sorin said to Sienna before rising and stepping up alongside Adrynn, Baltis, and Ra'Qassar.

"Well, I suppose we had better gather everything up and make some progress before sundown. Come Thalmor or Forsworn, we're reaching Skyhaven Temple." Sorin said plainly. "Also, how's everyone's magicka? I can still feel mine struggling to recharge."

==========================

Serrabinashiah Masseribalit: To Skyhaven Temple

"Welp, the nice thing about these flint stones is that you can get a spark from them even when they're wet." Serra said as she produced a small, dark gray stone from one of her pockets.

The scout then drew a dagger and slashed it across the surface of the stone, sending a handful of sparks into the bundle of juniper branches she had stuffed into the bottom for tinder. It took several tries, but she finally managed to produce an ember. A few oxygenizing blows later, and a newborn fire crackled up from the base of the logs.

"Hopefully, it'll last through the night. We're going to get rain, though." Serra said dismally as she also noticed the clouds and heard the thunder. It was shaping up to be a long, wet night.

Adrynn crossed his arms, both relieved and a bit impressed. The Thalmor had not been true to the Dominion it seemed. Though an Altmer who worshiped Talos brought an ironic smirk to his face. The Altmer had always worshiped the Aedra, though never Talos. Adrynn dismissed further thoughts of the et'Ada before he started confusing himself. The god named Talos was a mystery of conflicting accounts and just a little too much fanaticism. So it was best to just let it be.

He glanced to everyone who had offered to come and nodded. "Svarn, Felix, if you wish to come, you may. If you want to go claim the reward for the Thalmor, that is also an option." Finally, he looked to Sienna. "Knight of the Nine, it has been a pleasure traveling with you," Adrynn said, crossing his hand over his chest and bowing slightly.

Finally, he turned to those who were going with him. "Let us be off, we don't have much time and many leagues to go," he said, before strolling toward the pass south into Whiterun.

Svarn stood and nodded, his axe in hand. "For a chance to hunt the Forsworn... I will follow you." He said calmly. The burly Nord approached and offered his hand to the altmer woman. "If you'll have my axe?" He asked, Fenrir barked and wagged his tail happily, his long pink tongue hanging out of his mouth. Felix stood, his arm wrapped in a piece of cloth that held it in place.

"I would go with you but with my arm the way it is... I cannot fight, I think I will return to Whiterun." He said with a slight smile, his adventure was done and he was ready to board up in the Bannered Mare for a few months.

Sandhya wordlessly trailed in Adrynn's footsteps as the Dunmer traversed the mountainside and into the pass to Whiterun Hold. She watched him and everyone else around him...and she listened. Wherever they were going and whatever they were going to do, it was no doubt of great import; he and his golden-clad friend seemed to have been on their way to take care of something special when the two had been split up by the Thalmor-hunters.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velanya put her hands on her hips.

This storeroom held at least a dozen full suits of Akaviri plate armor - a good start, but not as many as they would eventually require. These were in acceptable condition, though they were all in severe need of a polish. Sighing, she rummaged through her pack and produced some, taking a clean rag and starting her work...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The night was definitely long, wet, and miserable.

Faeryn slept lightly, jerking awake at every rumble of thunder. He hated camping in the open like this, and the threat of the Forsworn coming up on them at any time had him constantly questioning every drip, crunch, and snap that accompanied the rain.

He was up and about before dawn, taking only a few bites of rations to sate his hunger. He wanted to get to Velanya - and the Karthspire - as quickly as possible. The likelihood of himself and Serrabinashiah running into a Thalmor or Forsworn patrol increased the more they stayed in one spot.

"It has been the greatest of honour to travel with you, Redoran. May the divines and the daedra smile upon you friend. Forgive my ineptitude, but my eve as a warrior has long since passed. With this, I have fulfilled my duty of vengeance, and my soul may rest easy. But for now, I shall assist the town of Whiterun, before returning to Cyrodiil. Thank you again, Adrynn." She bowed with a smiled, and turned to walk away.

"Thank all of you."

------

The black queen chuckled amusedly as the Imperial quipped his witty remark, with a smile she retorted "Old crone? Wherever did you get the idea that was what I wished to present myself as?" Watching the man leave the smile faded from her face and she returned down the void from which she came.