More than one main character.

colonelcrowe

By the way, how does the game handle stats with other characters? I'm pretty sure that NPC's don't gain progress in skills. It seems that there would need to be scripts in place to treat NPC's in your party as player characters. Otherwise (and this might not be a bad thing), one would need to balance time spent playing as each character.

It would also make some quests difficult; namely, quests where you have to logically choose to be a single character such as Mind of Madness or some levels in the Dragonborn expansion(I don't know how to do spoiler tags, so I'll just try and be nondescript). At the same time, some quests would be much more feasible with a party that followed you, such as one alternative to the Cidhna mine quest where you take on a lot of people at once.

I think that a combination of using the alternate actors mod and installing your own custom companions would do the job for now. I know enough about how to make a very basic follower (not very much, I know) and would be willing to do that quickly for anyone if you PM me. I'm definitely interested in seeing this implemented as a standalone mod though.

About quests and stuff, the answer should be quite obvious because at any given moment you are only controlling one character and the other 2 or 3 or whatever are your followers. So when you do quests like Mind of Madness or something, it would act just as it would if you had any followers.

There should not be any problems with doing quests although it should be stated that starting and finishing a quest with the same character is recommended (just in case of any conflicts). And actually NPC's do gain progress with skills as of patch 1.6 Your followers will level up as you level up. So it would seem that the character you use most often will still be better than the other ones, but not by a lot.

All in all, if this mod was ever to be made, it would probably be really really buggy. Most mods that have to do with followers are already buggy as it is, even the big ones like UFO and AFT have their fair share of bugs.

But yes it seems as of right now, the Alternate Actors mod is the closest thing to a multiple character mod. Perhaps the author of that mod would make some tweaks of it to release a separate Multiple Character Mod and clean it up a bit to remove some conflicts.

Thank you for all the responses. With this Alternate Actors mod, along with a couple of custom followers. (Not forgetting a multiple follower mod) It would be relatively simple. Also, in the AA mod you can change the characteristics of NPCs you control (bug or not, it's still cool) The modder plans to make this permanent. So in theory the long process of making Custom Followers might not be necessary?

• 1 year later...

I would love a mod that allowed me to do this...Especially given the fact that my brain (as of last night) just created a scenario in which two brothers are trying to find each other in the world of Skyrim after being attacked and left for dead somewhere near the border of Skyrim.

In the story as it stands my two characters, a Nord warrior named Stenwulf Blood-Hammer (a name I've used for many a character) was abducted by Imperials and went through the Helgen opening with Alduin. I plan on making him the dragonborn, while his adopted brother Merconan, a Breton, is just your average joe Archer/ Paladin healer type.

So far I've only just begun the story, but the bulk of the adventure will happen in my head without something like this (hurrah personal journal entries). If a mod like this ever did come to be I'd be able to fully realize the story in my head and it would be amazing (to me at least).