Directing Player to An NPC

So, this is probably a very Simple task But I cant find a straight answer online (probably searching wrong, whatever.)

I am trying to direct the player to go and talk to an NPC. How would I go about that, where Do I add the scripting and Is there a default Script in the CK to handle this or do I have to write it myself?

please excuse the probably incredibly embarrassing question, I am working on my first Mod and getting my head round this stuff is tough.

The traditional way to mark a target is to place a quest map/HUD marker on on it with some descriptive text. To do that:

Create a quest, set it to misc quest type.

Create a Reference Alias

Use the conditions to find your NPC to force into the reference alias. If the NPC is non persistent and outside of the player loaded area when the quest is started you have a solution design problem.

Create a quest objective 10 using the NPC quest alias as a target.

Create a quest stage 10, check run on start.

In the quest stage put;

Self.SetActive(true)

Self.SetObjectiveDisplayed(10, true)

Finally find some trigger mechanism to issue quest start and stop commands.

Yup, is just *that* simple :wink:

The traditional way to mark a target is to place a quest map/HUD marker on on it with some descriptive text. To do that:

Create a quest, set it to misc quest type.

Create a Reference Alias

Use the conditions to find your NPC to force into the reference alias. If the NPC is non persistent and outside of the player loaded area when the quest is started you have a solution design problem.

Create a quest objective 10 using the NPC quest alias as a target.

Create a quest stage 10, check run on start.

In the quest stage put;

Self.SetActive(true)

Self.SetObjectiveDisplayed(10, true)

Finally find some trigger mechanism to issue quest start and stop commands.

Yup, is just *that* simple :wink:

So... what if he is inside in a load zone gated cell, like in diamond city for example? same process or slightly different.

The concept you need to reflect on: Is the target actor a persistent ObjectReference ?

If yes then the actor can be found anywhere in any cell in any worldspace doesn't matter.

If no then it can only be found in the 10K radius (default 5 uGridsToLoad) active worldspace area around the player so you need to trigger the quest in the actors area, or make the actors object reference persistent.