Windows 8.1 - killed Skyrim & NMM

waxercat

Is anybody still getting issues with Windows 8.1? My PC is asking me to upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 but after researching and seeing this forum I am having major doubts. From the gist of things it just seems like a graphics card driver issue. My concern is that I don't want Skyrim/Fallout and all my Nexus mod manager modding to be undone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried launching Skyrim via Skyrim Script Extender? I'm about to use Windows 8.1 for the first time whenever the UPS guy decides to drop my Acer Aspire V5 laptop today. I will tinker with all of the fixes I know from Windows 7 and let everyone know what I come up with but one suggestion for everyone before I go. Try running NMM, Steam, and any games in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

• 2 months later...

Same problem, now how do i roll-back to windows 8?

8.1 Sucks until Navidia can update to it, *sigh*

Move your cursor to the right down corner so the bar would appears and click on Settings, then click Change PC Settings, go down to recovery tab, click on the Refresh PC without affecting your files, it will revert your PC back to windows 8(if Windows 8 was your PC's first operation system), and keep all of your apps, except ones you bought from MS, but things you installed from discs or downloads will be removed, such as games, which means, you will have to re-download all of your games from Steam and Origin, and uPlay. Oh, and you have to re-download all the updates, too.

Edited by alonewolf003

Hmm... I've been running Win 8 and now Win 8.1 with no issues with Skyrim or any other game that I play on my machine. As for Skyrim, I'm using Mod Organizer and several other utilities from within Mod Organizer. I have had the occasional crashing of Skyrim, but these have been attributed to mod conflicts. I just find out what mod(s) that are causing the game to crash and then delete it. Skyrim runs well again. Therefore, I personally don't see any problems as it pertains to the OS with my games. Been running Win 8/Win 8.1 on my gaming rig since I first built it February of last year.

Has anyone tried launching Skyrim via Skyrim Script Extender? I'm about to use Windows 8.1 for the first time whenever the UPS guy decides to drop my Acer Aspire V5 laptop today. I will tinker with all of the fixes I know from Windows 7 and let everyone know what I come up with but one suggestion for everyone before I go. Try running NMM, Steam, and any games in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

I've since been launching Skyrim via Skyrim Scropt Extender from within Mod Organizer. By the way, I've been running Win 8/Win 8.1 since February of last year. No OS problems with any game I play. Additionally, I do not use compatibility mode.

I had a topic like this a little while back about windows 8 and NMM and I had problems but I think it was more of the version of NMM OR if i used SKSE. I havent tried to do it anymore until I build my desktop, my laptop isnt worth the fight anymore. After I got it to finally play it crashes ten minutes in and I think its either my computer can't handle the game or something to do with windows 8 cause I have heard of skyrim not playing nicely with the operating system as it was not designed to play on ti.

• 1 month later...

IMPORTANT FOR THOSE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS!!!

There is an extremely easy fix to this!! To get Nexus Mod Manager to work properly on Windows 8.1, the solution is: right click on Nexus Mod Manager, click Properties, then Compatibility, then change the compatibility from Windows 8 to Windows 7, and the program will work just fine. I wasn't able to download anything, then I did this and it worked just fine. Hope this helps!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are having problems with skse, mod organizer, NMM, saves, and backups not loading, or unknown crash to desktop on load and/or a larger mod list recently you need to look at this also, Especially if things were working before 2-18-2015:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2x406c/modded_skyrim_not_starting_after_218_steam_update/
So in my case this is what I did. Steps 1-4, any combination may end up helping you.

1. Workaround Steam Launch
Workaround:

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2wnp2c/modded_skyrim_not_starting_try_this/

Shutdown Steam.

Start Skyrim from MO. It will complain about Steam not running.

Tell MO to start Steam. As soon as that happens, MO will give you another window that asks you to click "OK" when Steam is started.

DON'T WAIT from for Steam to start, IMMEDIATELY click OK

2. Mod Organizer blacklist fix
I also have to the process_blacklist.txt like suggested above from the Mod Organizer Folder.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2x406c/modded_skyrim_not_starting_after_218_steam_update/

Well, after some dialog with Tannin , the developer of MO, he worked out a solution

Create a file in the main Mod Organizer folder named process_blacklist.txt

Inside that file add two lines

steam.exe

steamerrorreporter.exe

Save the file in Mod Organizer folder

Start Skyrim from Mod Organizer

PROFIT!

3. Mod Organizer user permissions fix - it had been reset to read and write only with the steam patch.
I needed to edit ModOrganizer.exe under properties > Security tab> Edit permissions and make sure I had all rights enabled again Full Control, Modify Read & execute, Read, write for all users. I did not need special permissions. All these apparently were changed when the steam patch was installed as well.

4. Win 8 - I had trouble, setting skse_loader.exe and modorganizer.exe to win 7 compatibility mode helped.
Some people are have trouble since the steam client patch came out if they have win 8 - 8.1. But not everyone.

5. Run as administrator -- I didn't need to do this. Some people are needing to launch skse and/or mod organizer as an administrator. I have everything running fine in my main folder, and I have not needed to.

6. Some people are reinstalling skse or MO, or moving them to another folder. You may just need the 1st one if you Have NNM -Nexus Mod Manger.

With these fixes every mod works through mod organizer just like it did before the 2/18/15 steam client update, except for having to launch MO with the workaround fix.