The web based (extended) Perk Tree mod generator(s)

Bertilsson

You can edit perk trees directly in DefaultGameCore.ini for EW. See XComGame.XComPerkManager section. If I remember right, ToolBooks enables loose ini editing automatically. DefaultGameCore.ini is located in XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\XComGame\Config\ folder inside your Steam directory.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already asked Bertilsson in a private message about this, but I want to ask here as well, in case someone else would be willing to help me.

Since modding perk trees by editing the corresponding file is very tedious, I would love to create a web tool like this one for Enemy Within (vanilla and Long War), but I don't have the slightest idea how to do something like this.
Anyone willing and able to help me with that or willing to do it themselves with my help?

To explain a bit better - the tool would create the necessary text you could then just copy into the file.

Edited by ChrisK099

Hm, you know doing it via the DGC since EW is actually comparatively not tedious. The former method - 100% HEX side - was an ordeal which is what spurned the talented Bertilsson to create his web tools in the first place.

You can still use the web tool currently as a very helpful 'visual map' of how you want your perk trees to look and then simply manually edit the corresponding DGC entries per class to match it.

Is there another way than to look for the exact name of the perks you want and replacing every single one of the old ones per hand? Because in my opinion, that is pretty tedious, especially for the ones with not so obvious names. Of course HEX-editing was even more tedious without the tool, but this way still takes pretty long if you want to replace most of the perks of long war while with a tool like this, you would just need to select the ones you want and then replace the part of the ini file you want.
Using the tool as a visual map for Long War EW doesn't work all that well either, since quite a few of the perks have changed or are completely new.

Edited by ChrisK099

I pretty much managed to do it rewriting Bertilsson's code, but I am stuck on one problem right before finishing it. Without any programming knowledge, I don't see myself finding a solution.
Anyone with some experience programming HTML and/or javascript would be of great help.

Never mind. I think I've got it.

Edited by ChrisK099

I finished my webtool:
http://xcomperktreeeditor.coffeecup.com/ (index)

I included a page for vanilla Enemy Within and 3 paged for the newest Long War version (0.3 Beta 13) - one for all the perk trees and 2, where I split that up to make it faster (the complete version is running very slow on IE for me).

Since I still don't understand the whole code and therefore had to come up with a probably less than good solution, I would still be thankful for any help someone could provide to improve the tool. Just PM me here, if you are willing to do that.

I had to edit the entry a bit, though..

Not a problem; that's what we expect and why I announce they have been posted. I just try to get the basics up so the authors just have to edit as needed instead of worrying about the markup stuff.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 2 months later...

I updated the tool for Beta 14 and made it faster. Except for the new perks, it is still compatible with Beta 13.
The address is of course still the same: http://xcomperktreeeditor.coffeecup.com/
I didn't check every single perk, so some descriptions might be outdated. I also didn't check all of them ingame with Beta 14, but I included all the new perks, so everything should work.

Some of the old pages are no longer compatible to the new ones or to Beta 14, but all of them are still available here, in case someone wants to use them or has an old link etc.: http://xcomperktreeeditor.coffeecup.com/Beta13

Edit 13th of November 2014: Changed the link for the old version. Also added replacement pages for the missing ones that link to the converter. I updated those to be able to convert old seed numbers to the new pages.

Edited by ChrisK099