Fastest way to level up block/armor skills

Simniac

If on pc and lazy ( not that i do this but know somebody personally who does )

go find giants, let them beat on you for a couple hours while chugging potions, or just enable TIM....

weapon skills? beat on giants a couple hours and keep resurrecting them over and over, take their loot in the process and walk back to town hours later when everything is done. and sell/craft stuff.

i find it cheating myself but they don't listen to me lol.

or do what i do and not give a crap and just level them up over time, you have all the time in the world to play and raise skills stop worrying about power leveling, hell there is pretty much no max skill levels or player levels in my game anyways lol so would be pointless for me.

I agree with PsYchotic666joker.

Too many players seemed to be obsessed with power-leveling and not playing the game. They are free to play play however they want, but it almost defeats the purpose of buying the game if all they are going to do is power-level because that's only 1/100th of the game's content, IMO. They might was well just use the console and give themselves max levels, perks, items, etc. if that is all they care about.

The only real bonuses to armor are some invisible bonuses (100 points) you don't even see if you get something like the "Well Fitted" perk (Heavy Armor). Unlike other RPGs there are no special requirements for a character to be able to wear different armors in the game. Wearing heavy armor only differs from light armor in that heavy armor slows you down... And not even by that much once you're actually playing the game; it becomes negligible.

Blocking is the same way. If you are a melee character who uses shields, you will naturally level this up since it is part of your typical sword & board style of play.

TL;DR

Stop worrying about being a God after Bleak Falls Barrow.

Just play the game and have fun. Life is too short to turn this into yet another competitive endeavor especially since it is a single player game and the only one you are comparing yourself to are the power leveling idiots on Youtube and the internet who call themselves "gamers", but don't actually play the games they way they are meant to be played.

I only want to power level up block and armor skills until they don't slow me down, then I can try the circling, avoiding and hitting while blocking technique with a one handed weapon and a shield, and that is almost necessary on higher or the highest difficulty settings. Before I get that, I can only circle, avoiding and hitting without blocking, so then I end up leveling up far more on one handed and almost nothing of the block skills, and I want to try to keep the one handed and block skills balanced. But the way the game is meant to be played is debatable, some of us wants to focus more on the story, quests and challenges rather than getting perks "the normal way". With all the perks and skills, you get the feeling that you are more accomplished, strong and skillful while playing through the story, quests and challenges, but you are still not overpowered, that doesn't happen until you use the enchanting/smithing/alchemy exploits or certain console commands imo. :smile:

Edited by Simniac

You can circle, avoid, evade, etc...from the very beginning....I have never used Heavy Armor, but can assure you, you can avoid most damage in Light Armor.

There are times too though that I like to play a fully specced Character from the start of the Game...I find leveling a bore (have played a lot of Skyrim) and enjoy playing a seasoned Warrior and so in those Games I use a Cheat Chest Mod in Riverwood that allows me to level out what ever skills I want for the character....can choose which Skills and ignore the rest. There are a number of Mods available to do that.

Edited by KanesGhost

Well I'll give you a straight answer. It seems a fair question.

Block is best learned in stages. Start with horkers, graduate to mammoths, then finally giants. When you're training block with horkers it's enough to simply step out of the way if you need time to recover, but with the giant-sized trainers you want cover they can't fit in, like the Moon Forge.

Smithing has 2 ways to level quickly ... well, 3 I guess.

First is leather. This takes no perks. Attack anything on 4 legs, build I think leather bracers for most efficient work. If you want money and don't mind leveling speech build armor and sell it. There will always be more elk.

Second is Dwemer School. This requires 2 perks. Go to Avanchnzel and get the Dwemer skill-leaning perk and start hauling massive quantities of Dwemer junk (the kind that makes ingots) back to civilization and make, umm, I don't know, daggers I guess. The Avanchnzel perk also enables you to make Dwemer equipment of especially high quality, so it's kind of like getting the next perk early.

Third is the Nord Hero Master Craftsman. This requires 1 perk. Once you've leveled Alchemy and Enchanting you can make ridiculously powerful items that only require the steel perk. You've got Forsworn right off the bat, then Skyforge Steel after one really hard quest (Dustman's), then Nord Hero after finishing the Companions quest line. If you've mastered Alchemy and Enchanting your smithing gear and potions will be so good you don't need more than one smithing perk.

Edited by RatcatcherOfKvatch

I just did the quest "In My Time Of Need" and decided to kill Kematu. So, after killing all but one of his Al'ikr, I let one guy live, raised my shield, and let him keep hitting it. About 5 minutes later, the block skill was some 45 or so (from 15, which it was when I began this mad jaunt) and the Heavy Armor at 37. Then I got bored and killed him.

The rest of the Block business came from Giants, dumbass Bandits and the like. I peaked both around 70. Never went beyond that, just because. And also it was freaking boring to force the level-up.

Bottom line - Don't power level. It isn't an MMORPG, there is no PvP, there are no Arenas, Battlegrounds and shizz. You want all that, go and play WoW. Otherwise, just chillax in Skyrim, and let the leveling up business take it's time.

Unless there's a particular perk you want, then you should level like crazy to unlock it. I'll dance on a forge fire if that's what it takes to get those extra few points of Restoration to get me to the Respite perk. (Burn-and-heal, burn-and-heal, now wonder mages have such a reputation for madness ... "Get out of my forge, you crazy witch!")

What can I say, I'd rather walk on hot coals than have to stop running ...

(I haven't actually had to train Restoration since Legendary mode was introduced -- I get plenty of practice healing just trying to make it through the day. But I don't fault anyone leveling a skill so they can do basic things like block arrows with a shield or run faster holding a bow. Why shouldn't you want to be able to do that?)

Mudcrabs are pretty hard to beat for leveling either of those skills - just make sure you got a reliable way to heal yourself. They attack fast (good for leveling Block) and hit hard (good for leveling Armor).

I believe if you follow the little stream outside Halted Steam camp you can find several. Herd them together then find a defensible position for Blocking, or let them tear you a new one for Armor.

I always power level a bit before actually playing the game, main reason is that some dungeons stay level locked so if you enter them at level one you can pretty much kill anything in there with just one blow after you return, very immersion breaking imo.

Just open the console and type "help ultimate", then search for the code of the ultimate healing potion and then type "player.additem "code" 100" and hotkey that potion to one of your keys.

Then search for an enemy you can survive a few hits from and just keep using potions, for me thats usually a giant.

I get the impression the more damage you block the more skill it rewards you, so a mudcrab wont do much regarding skill advancement.

Then there is magic skills which I just type "TGM" in the console and keep casting spells, but TGM does not work for things where you need to take damage or heal damage.

Of course doing this is like cheating so dont level up everything to 100 because then you ruin the game, and imo especially don't do this on your first play through because you will miss out on a lot of things that the game has to offer.

Edited by Guest