Corpse Masher stopped working

Panzer4

This problem just started. I've closed 22 Oblivion Gates so far, and now I walk into a tower just after entering this gate, activate the Corpse Masher to go up, hear a click, and then nothing. No movement at all and no click on attempting to activate it. I haven't installed any new mods in a couple of weeks and everything has been working just fine--I might add that I did install the UOP just now AFTER I started having the problem on the off-chance that it might help but it didn't. I did have a similar problem once on a prior installation; in that one the Corpse Masher would work except it was slow and jerky, but that installation is long gone. Just before going into this gate, I had noticed that some drawers in a house were opening really slow and I wondered at the time if I was going to be having the same problem that I had experienced in the past and, sure enough, once I got into the Oblivion Gate, there it was only much worse--enough so that it makes the game unplayable. I've included my load order from OBMM. I hope someone can help.

Oblivion.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

Kvatch Rebuilt.esm

HorseCombatMaster.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Natural_Habitat_by_Max_Tael.esp

WindowLightingSystem.esp

VanityCameraSmoother.esp

ClocksOfCyrodiil.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Talos Plaza.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Elven Gardens.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Green Emperor Way.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Prison.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Arena.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Waterfront.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Temple.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Market.esp

ImpeREAL City Unique Districts - Arboretum.esp

P1DseeYouSleep.esp

Crowded Cities 15.esp

Map Marker Overhaul.esp

ExnemRuneskulls.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOO-Water_Weeds.esp

Amajor7 Imperial Furniture.esp

eyja.esp

Kvatch Rebuilt.esp

Kvatch Rebuilt - OOO Compatibility.esp

Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp

Knights.esp

Natural_Vegetation_by_Max_Tael.esp

Harvest [Flora].esp

Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp

P1DkeyChain.esp

Toggleable Quantity Prompt.esp

Unlimited Amulets and Rings - Shivering Isles.esp

SupremeMagicka.esp

SM_ShiveringIsles.esp

SM_OOO.esp

SM_EnchantStaff.esp

SM_Scrolls.esp

SM_SigilStone.esp

MidasSpells.esp

300ft_crime_detection-7319.esp

Deadly Reflex 5 - Timed Block and 250% damage.esp

DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp

SM_DeadlyReflex.esp

[GFX]_Initial_Glow-self.esp

Streamline 3.1.esp

Map Marker Overhaul - SI additions.esp

tona_clothes_and_underwear_v2.esp

That sounds to me like you may have run into the Animation Bomb. After approximately 200 hours of playing time there is a know bug, which Bethesda has not addressed, that, essentially makes the game unplayable. Spell animations slow, as do fires, and doors.

Wrye Bash can fix it. I use something called OBSAF.exe, but I couldn't find it here on Nexus, but it's got to be around somewhere.

That sounds like it. I have about 320 hours in the game and, as I recall, had about the same amount of time the last time around when this happened. Now if you or someone else can just tell me how to fix it my life will be sunshine and roses again. :-)

Poke around. The file is "OBSAF.exe" and is referred to as the "A-Bomb Fixer" (Animation Bomb). Unfortunately, I do not remember where I got it, but it has to be somewhere (I deleted all my old Oblivion links after I was finally able to register with Nexus).

Wry Bash can fix it (along with a whole bunch of other stuff). Maybe you should look there, if you can install it.

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22368

I found OBSAF (as well as another fix called OAF). The problem is that OBSAF doesn't recognize that there's a problem in my saved game, and although OAF does recognize the problem and allow me to fix it by changing one byte from 49 to a value between 40 and 48, which makes the animation run, then if I open my journal after that, the game freezes as soon as I close it. Any ideas?

I am not familiar with OAF, but if OBSAF does not see the corruption then it sounds like this may not really be the problem. It has always worked flawlessly for me, and I have used it more times than I care to recount.

To test whether the probem is, in fact, the animation bomb, try casting a spell such as light or feather. If you have the bomb, the particle animation for the spell will move painfully slow. It is pretty recognizable, not just a little slow like you have low FPS, but the effects of the animation move slowly, while your character moves normally.

The first time this happened to me I was in the Shivering Isles, where ALL the doors are animated, and it took them FOREVER to open. The smoke from the hollow trunks was puffing out slowly. Very characteristic of the bomb.

When casting feather, the ring of white smoke that moves around you will take upwards of a couple of minutes real time to finish playing. Meanwhile your character is off doing other things.

If these do NOT happen, then you probably don't have the bomb, and it's back to the drawing board with your original problem with the lifts.

Well, it turned out that I did in fact have the animation bomb. Oblivion Animation Fixer (OAF) showed that the problem byte had the dreaded value of 49, and when I plugged in the value of 45 it worked AND allowed me to open and close my journal without freezing. In the interest of science, I kept trying OBSAF some more and never did get it to recognize that there was a problem. I have no idea why and I wish OBSAF would work for me because I'm a little leery of OAF in that you have to actually enter the name of the bad saved game and it doesn't recognize OBSE saved games. So far that doesn't seem to be a problem, but it's just something that causes me a little concern. At any rate, thank you so very much for your help as without you I wouldn't have known where to start.

Michael

BTW here's a link to the OAF: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5127