Easy way to close Fallout: New Vegas when it freezes?

a28371

I have been playing Fallout: New Vegas for a really long time. I also use mods but it sometimes freezes on the loading screen whenever I enter or exit an area. This is not a big issue at the moment, but I was wondering if anybody knows an easier way to close the frozen Fallout. I try opening Task Manager but it appears behind the Fallout: New Vegas screen and I cannot minimize it.

The only way that I have found to get away from it is by either

1.) Logging off, then canceling the log off whenever it asks me if I want to log off because I still have programs running

2.) Restarting my computer completely.

Any suggestions?

In no particular order. Try one or all.

I started running my FNV in windowed mode. Its easier to close and freezes less often.

Both of you helped a lot! Thanks! I have tried running FO:NV in windowed mode and it has worked great so far

Since the window is alot smaller than usual, I might change it back to normal since I can do the shortcut to close all non-responsive programs like Unno said.

pressing the "ALT" and "TAB" key (above the caps lock left side) at the same time will switch windows.

fnv crashing is a problem, but the problem in relation to closing it is usually windows as it tries to find a solution to the crash, and that just bogs things down, no way to disable or uninstall that feature from what ive found either

• 1 year later...

That last bullet point is the one that did it for me in Win 8.1. Specifically:

1. Press the Win key to open search.
  2. type the following in the search bar and press enter:
taskkill /f /fi "status eq not responding"