[WIP] Inventory Management System - LF Ideas

IsharaMeradin

I am looking for additional ideas that I could incorporate into my mod.

Currently, I have the following:

IMS: Bag of Holding -- This is a 5 pound satchel that can store anything you desire. A hot key toggle option is available to quickly transfer the currently stored items to the player and any of those still on the player back to the satchel.

IMS: Alchemy -- This is a "container" that has no weight by itself but takes on the weight of stored contents. An option to make it completely weightless is available. There is an option to automatically store items on the pre-defined list as they are added to the player inventory. There is an option to transfer the contents for crafting purposes via a hot key toggle or via an automatic perk entry point. Items manually placed in the container (accessed by equipping) will be added to the pre-defined list. Thereby making it "compatible" with mods/dlc that add new ingredients. The intent is to add an additional means of sorting items in the player inventory.

IMS: Cooking - IMS: Enchanting - IMS: Smelter - IMS: Smithing - IMS: Tanning - IMS: Building Supplies (if Hearthfires is installed)

These are all identical to IMS: Alchemy in behavior but each are configurable independently.

IMS: Imbuing Supplies (if Dragonborn is installed) - This is similar to the above except that due to the design of the Imbuing machine the perk entry point cannot be an option and so only a hot key option is available.

IMS: Atronach Supplies - Identical in behavior to IMS: Imbuing Supplies

IMS: Key Ring - Incorporates and improves upon my Key Ring mod. Stores keys to help remove clutter from player inventory. Ability to use lockpicks instead of the key. Ability to set a # of picks to break before "giving up" and using the key if one is available. It has only ever failed on one door in testing and that was a door from a mod which may have been done in a different manner than stock doors.

IMS: Worker Bundle - Another container whose purpose is to store your pickaxe and wood axe. It takes on the weight of stored contents. It works differently than the others in that the appropriate tool is transferred when your crosshair passes over the mine or wood block (the 'E to activate' has to show). After using the furniture, the tools are returned to the container.

IMS: Ammo Quiver - Stores arrows and bolts (if Dawnguard is installed). Ability to define a preferred order of use (ammo will transfer automatically as needed if an order is set). At the moment up to 20 types of arrows and 8 types of bolts can be ordered. Bolts have a further option to transfer all of a type or only one at a time. A hot key option is available to reload the crossbow if doing one at a time (very similar to the manual crossbow reloading mods). Basic steel and dwarven bolts will transfer automatically as necessary when crafting at the forge. A side effect of this is that for the player Auto Unequip Ammo is no longer needed, but if installed it does not interfere (I use AUA for the followers).

Each one of the above "containers" are on their own MCM page and each are configurable and independent. All can be used or just one. All are added directly to the player when selected to be used. Only the key ring & the bag of holding have world/inventory models. The rest are intended to be extensions of the player inventory and take on the weight of the stored contents. They can be used inconjunction with other mods that provide bags, bandoliers and backpacks. While not directly linking to any of those, one can easily pretend that one of my "containers" is represented by one of the other mod's visually worn bag, bandolier or backpack.

While each of the containers are usable separately, they will check each other when transferring items because many of them after mods/dlc are installed have item overlap. But they'll only return items to the container specific to the furniture in use.

One of the drawbacks, I suppose, is that all of these containers are represented by items within the player inventory, more specifically the armor category. An adjustment to the names might be in order so that they do not appear in the middle of the category.

One addition that I am contemplating adding is based on the following:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1879075-idearequse-poison-on-each-attack-the-carrable-container/