Parent Build

no GPU is necessary as she only plays a few facebook games here and there. She mainly uses it for Internet and email, and Excel.

Is she going to be part of a multiple server domain intranet, use filesystem level encryption, or an enterprise type storage network?

Also, keep in mind that Win7 has a lifetime of 6 months before the end of mainstream support and 5.5 years before the end of all support.

It's unlikely to get the same loopholes as WinXP gets due to its broad embedded use.

Edited by FMod

actually, the one thing Pro has over Home is the ability to back up to a network, vs just an external hard drive. right now, thats all she does, but if i wanted to connect her to a NAS, which is something id love to implement, then she wouldnt be able to do that with Home Premium.

also, i like the XP mode feature for Pro as well. ive only had to use it a few times, but you never know when itll come in handy. also, its nice to be able to Remote Host into my computer downstairs. something i dont do now, because he PC struggles as it is, but something i would probably take advantage of with her new computer.

lastly, my mom HATES change with a passion. she still refuses to get a smart phone or laptop because she doesnt like the keyboards on laptops. hence why i want the case as simple as possible. even changing from Vista to Windows 7 was a big change for her. Ill have her wait as long as humanly possible before taking her off of Windows 7 and on to Windows 8 or anything else.

also, i should mention ill be ready to buy these parts Friday morning. so any more comments or suggestions before then would be ideal!

my moms not that computer illiterate. she can make her way around Windows quite well actually. so she would, in an instant, know the difference. and then not like it. i promised her i would not change anything, and that she would not notice a difference in anything except the speed of the computer lol.

im actually going to be busy earlier than i thought tomorrow morning, so i wont be purchasing the parts till sunday afternoon sometime. so thatll give me a few extra days to hear some thoughts about the parts.

thanks all for the input so far!!

Edited by hoofhearted4

hmm, unfortunately, no one posted on this over the weekend.

i am gunna go ahead and buy the parts.

thanks everyone for your comments and opinions!

so everything is put together. the only thing is, i didnt notice, but the model of the PSU that i got isnt modular. all the other Wattage models are so i didnt notice that this one wasnt. kind of lame when you think about it, as a small wattage PSU is usually going to go into a small case, which is arguably just as in need of modularity as any other wattage. its not the end of the world, its a little crowded in there, but no biggie. wouldnt be worth the shipping to send it back, then the extra money on top of that to get the next model up.

also 2 of the 4 screw holes in my case down line up with my PSU. luckily the two that do are diagonal, so is even, but yea, $40 not the end of the world either.

just gotta clone her OS on to it, then upgrade it from x32 to x64.

anyways yea, just wanted to post about those couple of road bumps, but everything else went fine.