CTD help

ddejohn

Gilibran is definatly right about Mod Organiser, but there's something else that might be the problem. The other day I got sick of how the mods were all named stupidly inside my data folder, no caps wordsjoinedtogether or seperated-with-these- and it really annoys me (ocd). Anyway I found out the hard way that if you rename them or the name changes at all. The save doesn't recognise the mod any more and results in a CTD. So if by some mericale the mod authors have renamed the mods then there's a good chance that's the perp. Mod Organiser can allow you to manually link up a mod in the load order with a mod in the Skyrim/Data folder so the save knows that, although the names changed it's the correct mod. Just my thoughts on the matter.

MS.

If you changed the esp filename you are right. It's the ,esp that is saved in the savegame, not the folder name. If you change the folder name in MO you should be ok, It still does not rename the esp though. If you want neater names for those you'll have to do it via the creation kit.

Gilibran is definatly right about Mod Organiser, but there's something else that might be the problem. The other day I got sick of how the mods were all named stupidly inside my data folder, no caps wordsjoinedtogether or seperated-with-these- and it really annoys me (ocd). Anyway I found out the hard way that if you rename them or the name changes at all. The save doesn't recognise the mod any more and results in a CTD. So if by some mericale the mod authors have renamed the mods then there's a good chance that's the perp. Mod Organiser can allow you to manually link up a mod in the load order with a mod in the Skyrim/Data folder so the save knows that, although the names changed it's the correct mod. Just my thoughts on the matter.

MS.

If you changed the esp filename you are right. It's the ,esp that is saved in the savegame, not the folder name. If you change the folder name in MO you should be ok, It still does not rename the esp though. If you want neater names for those you'll have to do it via the creation kit.

Yeah, but if he has a backup all he has to do is open up his current directory (new mods) on the left side of his screen and the backup directory (old mods) on the right side and compare the names if two mods are the same but with different names open up Mod Organiser right click the save data you want to play click check mods, it'll tell him which mods are broken/missing for the save game to work and it'll have a "Data" drop down box. Just select the new version of the mod and jobs done. Mod Organiser will take care of the rest. Please note that if the save game still doesn't work. He's then got a list of the mods causing the problem, he can check the nexus to see the update logs to see if the new versions require a clean save. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it seems a shame to lose save data he clearly liked having for something that could take as little as 15 minutes to fix.

MS.