Fallout 3 Crash Fix Guide

Personally, I found these adjustments and such is unnecessary in my situation (This is just for anyone who isn't helped from this guide). Seriously; I tried all of those techniques and nothing happened at all. What the problem is, is I kept overwriting all my saves with the next save.

You have to turn off all of the autosave settings, don't use quicksave, and most importantly:

Only make NEW saves, don't overwrite them. It seems when you overwrite a save over and over for a long amount of time it will corrupt it.

This is the technique that helped me the most; hope this helps anyone with a similar situation that I used to have.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

i have tried the following things to make this freezing stop

-downloaded the latest patch

-did the bUseThreadedAI=1 and iNumHWThreads=2 thing

-set settings to low quality

-downloaded d3d9.dll

-and lots of other stuff...

i am currently at the part of the game where you click to enter capital wasteland from the vault in the beginning of the game and it load on the menu that asks u if u want to change your name/look/race/etc.

and every time i load my game i click Exit vault 101 on the menu and it crashes....

any suggestions please message me on here.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...

I have a really weird crash in my game. I had the freezing crash and I fixed it and I was playing the game without any error or crashes for sometime. But after I added some mods to the game, game started to crash on a specific point. If I go out from that location and escape, there will be no problem in fact, but I still want to solve the error.

For this, I have deactivated all of the mods and I made a completely clean save and I have deleted all of the mod files. But error has not fixed. I cannot see what is the problem as long as I cannot see what happens in console. I believed that an animation file or something like that is missing. Or it can be some background programs that windows runs.

Here is the location; Rivet City marketplace or outside of Rivet City (even the fast travel option is not working sometimes.)

Also is there a way to check what is happening in the console on that specific point, please tell me that too.

Thanks for the help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

hmm no one retuns...

I solved the problem in 2 weeks I think :) "point lookout" was cause of the problem. When I play in that region (that is, The Citadel to Rivet City area) game crashes. Also I cannot save the game. But when I deactivated Point Lookout, problem solved.

Just a reminder for anyone who experience this "weird" error. But I don't know how to play point lookout :( it seems impossible for me :(

Best Regards... :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FINAL SOLUTION!!!

Hey guys i registered only to help you with this... i tried everything and i finally found what makes FO3 to crash...

Have you noticed that almost every crash is related to any kind of sound or shoot or when entering a door???... well i've fixed that problem going to CONTROL PANEL/DEFAULT PROGRAMS... then you click on the link to associate files with programs and search for .OGG... most of the times its a unknown file associated with any dvd player or picture viewer... you MUST associate it to WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER... the game crashes when a sound can't find the right codec to play it... so thats it... ITS SOLVED!!!... i haven't had a crash in 2 weeks...

NOTES:

- Its useful to install KLITE CODEC PACK and set everything to LAV instead of FFDSHOW for audio and video codecs

- If you can't find .OGG files to link to WMP... then save a blank notepad file as .OGG and then try again to link it with WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER

- This fix is only tested for WIN7 64bits in a intel i7 and i also did the FALLOUT.ini file editing for the quad core processors fix... so if you try this in WIN XP and it works please post a reply

Hope it works for you too...

Rob...

I don't understand why no one ever suggests using this mod but it totally fixed my game.

See this thread for more details on how I got my Fallout 3 Game of the Year editon completely stable on my Windows 7 i7 3rd gen 8gb ram 64bit laptop at full settings with HD texture packs running around 60 fps constantly.

Try out the mod I suggested and see if it helps. If it does please spread the news.

Edited by supersniper1

• 2 weeks later...