Fallout 3 Crash Fix Guide

I've been mulling over this for days now and finally found a fix. My game would load but suddenly stopped allowing me to save. I tried using auto, quick, and manual saves, then switched to CASM with no luck. Here is the fix I finally got to work for me.

First I loaded the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch and all of the applicable FOIP files. I also went into the Fallout.ini file and added/edited the two following lines of code.

bUseThreadedAI=1

iNumHWThreads=2

Have no idea if they actually helped because I tried them before with no results but I figured what the heck I'll throw them in this time too.

For the final phase I deselected all of my mods in FOMM, then deactivated FOSE and closed it. Next I restarted FOSE, activated it, then loaded my last save. Of course, there my character stood bare naked and weaponless with none of my cool mods with all of my companions wandering off into the distance. I ran to a new area and created a new save with no problem. Next I exited the game and deactivated FOSE and closed it. Finally I went back into FOMM, reloaded all of my mods, restarted FOSE, activated it, then loaded not the new save but my previous one where I still had all of my cool guy stuff. Magically I was able to save again. In my case I'm guessing it had something to do with FOSE needing a break from all of those mods to get caught up. I know next to nothing about computers and I realize my method might have been overkill but in the end I got it to work. Maybe this will work for someone else too :biggrin: !!! Hope this helps.

The method you just described could have easily corrupted your save. The UFP may lessen game errors but I've never used it and I don't crash. The ini tweak is what saved you.

Edited by akkalat85

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, so just today my game stopped responding, I think it may be a mod thing, but for whatever reason I cannot do step 3 of the solutions, it says to me whenever I try to save the document that access denied and then proceeds to exit and undo the changes made to the .ini file. Are there any more fixes to be done and should I give a lost of all the mods I use for anyone who will help me?

Hi, so just today my game stopped responding, I think it may be a mod thing, but for whatever reason I cannot do step 3 of the solutions, it says to me whenever I try to save the document that access denied and then proceeds to exit and undo the changes made to the .ini file. Are there any more fixes to be done and should I give a lost of all the mods I use for anyone who will help me?

You have to make the changes as an administrator.

• 2 months later...

I usually tweak the ini file whenever I reinstall Fallout 3 but the crashing on saves still happens. The only solution I've found that works is going back to my last save and killing my character with a fatman. After being brought back to my last save point I'm able to save my game again as normal.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...