Horrible-looking scars

Tajjara

I'm pretty sure I'm smart enough to know what mods exist and what mods don't in his game. Also you keep mentioning ENB but I've stated twice now he's tried it with, and without with the same result for either way. The entire reason I posted here is because of how strange the situation is. I understand basic troubleshooting and how to mod. I came here looking for solutions outside the norm because all others have been checked, hence why I stated those things in my original post. Skyrim is a buggy game, so who knows what's going on. When he gets home, I'm going to have him try the hi-res textures and see what happens. If that doesn't change anything I'm completely stumped as to what could be causing it, because he honestly, really, REALLY has NO mods that alter scar appearance, and no mods beyond the ones I've stated that alter character appearance.

Her face is grey. This is how she is supposed to look: http://3dnpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/zora_a_great_NPC_Euther.jpg (the scars do look slightly different from vanilla but I don't see much of a difference? what's the problem?)

If you think this is what normal skyrim faces look like, you probably have a ton of people walking around with the gray face bug.

I don't see a grey-face bug either. Somehow I got my scars looking differently than vanilla (which I think is what you see now) but can't find how I did it at the moment. My Zora looks like this:

http://imgur.com/hs4mrXu

Maybe this will help? http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4784/?

Do you have a screenshot of how it used to look?

@Bojanni that doesn't really look like her screenshot.

Anyways, could you provide a loadorder?

You sure you don't have a mod that retextures scars?

Do your mods like ENB or imaginator add more red to the scars? In other words, do they make them more saturated? Because they simply look more saturated to me. Give me a screenshot with and without ENB, preferably with similar light to that image I posted.

@Valkasha trust me, that's Zora Fair-Child. She just looks different in my game because of texture-mods and such. It's just that I had those pinkish scars too and somehow got them too be more subtle but can't for the life of me remember how I did it.

You keep saying that but you realise that unless you believe in magic this is not possible right? If the scars are different from vanilla, in this case they just look more saturated, which means you either have a mod that adds more saturated scars or a mod that saturates everything, specifically red, it means you have a mod that changes them. Mods that can change this include ENBs but there's more mods that do so like: "I can't believe this is not ENB", imaginator and others. Heck it can even be an ini setting you changed somewhere. I think it would be best to let your husband continue the troubleshoot because we're not going to get anywhere this way.

1.) Her face isn't grey. I have four different monitors, each a different size and generation with LCD technology. So each one has it's own hue set. There is no 'grey face' bug.

2.) A complete reinstall would have gotten rid of any mods he didn't put back into it. So stop telling her that she's mistaken about the mods she does and doesn't have. That's one of my biggest pet peeves, telling someone they have something when they clearly don't.

3.) They are more saturated, but it may not be because of a mod. Saturation doesn't have to change from an ENB or mod.

Try deleting your skyrim.ini and skyrimPrefs.ini. color channels and saturation adjustments can be found in there. Skyrim should be able to regenerate the skyrimPrefs. Just make a backup before deleting them.

It may also be that mod, coverwoman. the author may have updated the scars. who knows.

Are you the husband? If you actually spend time to read my post I already suggested it could be an ini rather than a mod. Anyways I don't really care about your *pet peeve* the amount of people that claim they have or don't have something and then it turns out they were wrong is huge, I'd say close to 90% of the time they have overlooked something. How do I know? About 90% of my posts on this forum are helping people out with problems like these... The fact that she can't even provide a mod list is enough proof for me that she's inexperienced.

Now what I think might have happened, is your husband used to have a different load order or forgot to install one of the mods he used to have. Heck it could even be that in the past a dirty edit disguised one of your mods adding these scars for a long time. Without a mod list we can't say a thing I'm afraid.

Edited by Valkasha

No different load order, sorry. He set all that up before starting the game and hasn't changed it since. There are no mods that alter scars. none, nada. We went through his mod list. Nothing.

We tried the hi-res scars, and it helped with the blockiness of them, but not the bright saturation. So they look smaller, but still a bit wrong. We'll try the ini thing and see what happens. He did make a couple edits to that, though there were most for performance and SFO. Maybe something is out of place.

Yes, but I'd already said, multiple times, that he had no mods affecting scars.

I know you said that. Doesn't mean I believe you without a modlist. Games aren't alive, they don't just decide to change the way scars look, it's something you did to MODify your game. Unless you think leprechauns snuck into your machine lol.

Edited by Valkasha

After rewriting my reply a dozen times because of new trains of thought, and moving images from google around on different monitors to see differences between them, I saw something odd. I'm going to ask a few questions that sound really stupid, but if the skyrim installation is brand new and the scars are totally different, then there is a fragment of the old installation still around and it's rearing it's ugly head through this.

Last ngiht ym husband reinstalled Skyrim from scratch.

Did your husband redo the TES5Edit folder?

Delete and reinstall and re-clean?

And did he reinstall the nexus mod folder? this includes overwrites, etc?

Are the contrast settings the same? Are they different? Check your video card control panel. Check skyrims display settings.

A mod list would be helpful and make things easier, so we could check things out ourselves, but not required. It could spur new trains of thought...

Edited by MDeckman