How many mods can you fun?

KingWeir

Hey, I'm new to this website and new to Skyrim (though I have played a mates Xbox copy, so not a complete newbie) on the PC.

Recently got the Legendary Edition on Steam as I had seen a few mods I wanted to try out on youtube.

I've used mods before, when you install them in a folder in your documents (like euro truck simulator) or install them to the main folder but this is the first time that I've used a mod manager and I was like great (expecting the manager to inform me of any conflicts or missing files I might need), downloading a few mods (that become loads as I downloaded the required other mods that sum of them needed, then I activated them.....and then the game wouldn't get past the Bethesda logo..... so I deactivated them all and then reactivated what I thought was main ones that I would need at first or ones that where mentioned in other mod activations (so ignoring armour, weapons, houses etc) and great it loaded but then, no matter what I do... when Helgen is under attack and ur following the imperial solider when he says stay close to the wall, as the dragon lands on it breathin fire between two houses, there is a drop down just at that point, everytime I drop down, it crashes!

What am I doing wrong?

Pic is a list of the mods I had activated at that point......

P.S. The tile was meant to be run not fun.......my bad

Edited by KingWeir

KingWeir, it would be a bit more helpful if we could see a screenshot of your load order. That's the tab which says, "Plugins." Also, you are using several big overhaul mods, and the bigger the mod, the more likely it is to cause problems.

I would do this...uninstall your current mods. Don't uninstall SKSE...keep that and SkyUI. Then, install some very basic mods like CBBE and a couple of armor mods. Please note that if you use CBBE, then your UNP mods will look different, as UNP is a different body mod. Start a new game. See if your problem is fixed. Go back and install a couple more mods -- I'd suggest no more than three. Load up your game and go from there.

Once you've gotten about a dozen simple mods loaded up and running, then you can try adding your big overhaul mods and your ENB. Add those one at a time. ENB's take a lot of tweaking and can be a bit frustrating to get up and going. Overhaul mods can conflict with one another. Read, read, read -- the mod's description, any readme files (which NMM will find and open for you) and posts in the Comments section of the mod's page. Take notes, because you know you won't remember all this stuff afterward. :D

There are tools that will help you spot problems in your load order. Your load order is what it sounds like -- the order in which the game loads the information contained in your mods. This order is what is under your "Plugins" tab in NMM. You can adjust your load order in that tab by highlighting the plugin you need to move, then using the up and down arrows keys on the left-hand side of the NMM window. Don't use the ones on your keyboard. :)

The simplest tool to use for spotting load order problems is TES5Edit. You open TES5Edit, leave all your plugs-ins checked, then let TES5Edit try to load them. As it's loading, look at the bottom of the right-hand window and make sure to click the button that says, "Messages." When it hits a problem, it will stop abruptly and tell you what that problem is. Fix the problem, close TES5Edit, then reopen and run your list again.

There are also tools such as LOOT that will automatically sort your load order. These are fine as a place to start, but you will be better off in the long run if you learn to sort manually also. There will always be new mods that LOOT doesn't recognize and won't know where to put.

Good luck!