I am connected to my home's internet wirelessly, but cannot access the internet?

For some reason, despite the fact that I am connected to my wifi/internet wirelessly via my network adapter, i cannot seem to access the internet through any browsers such as Google Chrome and even Internet explorer and cannot connect to programs requiring internet such as Skype or Steam. It all started when AVG free detected a potential threat on my computer. Me memory is hazy, but i believed i clicked to remove it, and in doing so my google chrome session crashed and i have been unable to access the internet even though my computer tells me i am connected. The mysterious file i believed to have deletes also does not appear in my virus vault on AVG free. I have tried everything, from restarting my pc to resetting my router and network adapter. DId i possibly delete some important system file that enabled internet on my pc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's not enough information to answer. No file name etc. It's possible that a required file was infected and thus removed.

Try repairing your windows installation using the built-in tools (depending on the version). Reinstall your network adapter's driver.

First guess, Wifi usually requires a password to connect.

There should be a wifi icon in your taskbar at the bottom right of your screen ( Using Win7) win 8 may be different. Click on that.

Most modems - no matter what kind, can usually hook up directly using a cable - try that.

Does anything else - such as another computer, cell phone or printer work with your wifi?