The Persistent Corpse

Inafog

After turning in Audens Avidius I forgot about him. Sometime later, upon entering Cheydinhal, I found his body in the street. How he turned up there I don't know--I wasn't around when he met his demise, so he never managed to confront me. However, he is still there every time I go to the city, even though the respawn time has passed. I finally rolled him over a curb so he's less conspicuous, but it always gives me a start to find his remains still there. Has anyone else experienced this? I can't find any suggestions that his body is supposed to be a permanent fixture.

There are a bunch of permanent bodies in vanilla Oblivion ... here's a list: Oblivion:Permanent Bodies

Oddly enough Audens isn't on the list though back on an earlier playthrough I know he was a permanent corpse for me too. It's because the NPCs have the quest item flag set. If you use the Unofficial Oblivion Patch it turns off the quest item flag when they've served their purpose, allowing their bodies to disappear on cell reset.

You haven't found Glarthir slowly decomposing where ever he met his demise? I would have missed him too much (I use the UOP now) so I scooped him up with Corpse Collector and have him lounging in his home.