[WIP] Distinct Skyrim: Landscapes Reimagined

Jehoram

Little update! I've finished the Eastmarch forests and made the River Yorgrim navigable. I'm looking at the volcanic area and wondering if it might not benefit from a few more trees than are currently there. Thoughts on this?

I'll be posting screenshots of the finished forests later today for your viewing pleasure. I'm also working on a small little addition that isn't technically covered by all the Hold changes, so you can expect a preview of that coming up shortly as well. Cheer!

EDIT: Screenshots are up!

Edited by Jehoram

Unfortunately I don't have any way to directly support you but I think your WIP is great. Seriously, to me this is one of the most exciting mod WIPs yet. That said, if you don't mind me asking, I had two questions come to mind. First, I was wondering if you could share whatever enb or graphical overhauls you are using for your screenshots. Also, does your mod in any way alter the geographical size of certain regions?

Edited by IThreeDawgI

Unfortunately I don't have any way to directly support you but I think your WIP is great. Seriously, to me this is one of the most exciting mod WIPs yet. That said, if you don't mind me asking, I had two questions come to mind. First, I was wondering if you could share whatever enb or graphical overhauls you are using for your screenshots. Also, does your mod in any way alter the geographical size of certain regions?

Thanks threedawg! I'm glad you're excited about it :)

I'm currently using a slightly modified Grim and Somber ENB and this mod does not alter the geographic size. Changing the geographical size of regions would be WAY more work than even I'm looking to do and I've got my hands full already just altering the landscapes :P

Just added a bunch of screenshots to the OP showcasing the changes to Solitude, a few for The Pale and some bonus screenshots from that little addition I mentioned a few posts back... The Throat of the World!

So the Throat of the World is basically the Mount Everest of Nirn, but in classic Bethesda style, they covered it in trees and shrubs and other plants. Why do the Greybeards need supplies brought to them when they've got goats and snowberries and other edible things growing right outside their door? Well they won't anymore. The Throat of the World is getting a facelift and bringing it more in line with the aesthetic of Mount Everest. Hope you guys like it!

I am defiantly looking forward to this mod, but I hope you don't mind me asking, why remove the mountain in Whiterun? That kind of defeats the purpose of environment of Skyrim. Skyrim is known for being very mountainous and rough and removing an entire mountain is, in my opinion, breaking the lore.

Ah, ye lore nuts. TES breaks and contradicts it's own lore incredibly often.

Whiterun is a more plains area, thus it's not breaking lore when it's specifically shown/said that it is meant to be a flatter area. It's just flattening it even further.

I am defiantly looking forward to this mod, but I hope you don't mind me asking, why remove the mountain in Whiterun? That kind of defeats the purpose of environment of Skyrim. Skyrim is known for being very mountainous and rough and removing an entire mountain is, in my opinion, breaking the lore.

Ah, ye lore nuts. TES breaks and contradicts it's own lore incredibly often.

Whiterun is a more plains area, thus it's not breaking lore when it's specifically shown/said that it is meant to be a flatter area. It's just flattening it even further.

I guess you are right, mountain or not I am still going to download the mod!

One question I have about the Whiterun mod, will the mountain still show on the map?

Nice! Questions to answer! Okay, so in answer to your initial question, I removed the mountain for a couple reasons. First, it doesn't thematically fit with the image of Whiterun which is intended to be a frozen tundra. Two, it actually subtracts from the aesthetic of the region. With the mountain gone, you can see Whiterun from clear across the Hold where you couldn't before. Three, it serves no purpose. The mountain takes up roughly 17 cells in the center of Whiterun Hold and the only thing of value in that area that's being effected is a single gold ore vein. There's nothing of value to the game in the area. The fourth and final reason I'm removing the mountain is because it's kind of an odd duck geographically speaking. It's completely on its own, it's not close enough or in line with another mountain range that it could be explained away as a detached part of one of the ranges, it literally sits smack dab in the middle of Whiterun Hold.

Here's a link to a Skyrim map illustrating what I mean: http://srmap.uesp.net/?locx=-29817&locy=-4910&zoom=14

It just doesn't really make sense for a mountain to be there. I hope that answers that question satisfactorily. :)

And as for your question about the map: Nope, the mountain will not show up on the map. Unless I'm mistaken the Skyrim in-game map is based on LOD so that will be taken care of with DynDOLOD. Regardless, I'll make sure that the in-game map accurately reflects the changes made by this mod upon release.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback! :)