New Vegas Companions - Making a new one.

ObLars

Hey there people. Just to start this thread i must say i love New Vegas. ;)

Now, i want to make myself a companion dog. I don't know how to do this, so a fallout new vegas companion tutorial would help a lot.

I tried to just copy from existing companions, but i got to change too much in the scripts, and the quests that its just a pain. I know my english can be quite the wagon to understand, but please help me. I need my attack dog immidiatly. :) I know how to put the dog to life, i know how to modify him, i just dont know how to work out the script, the companion wheel, ect. thanks :)

I haven't tried to copy the creatures like Ed-E and Rex, but I have just finished setting up a humanoid companion. If you look at the dialogue quest VNPCFollowers Quest you will see most of the dialogue for the wheel and how it is set up. I did notice that Rex is in there as well. If you copy that set up as appropriate for the dog follower it should be okay. When you get to the hire topic you will see that is where, in the results script that, SetPlayerTeammate 1, is set and that is how the companion wheel is attached to the follower.

:) llama

This tutorial from Fallout 3 nexus helped me, Since the Gecks from the 2 games barely change its still usuable

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5506

Im makin a Merc called Jack, this was pretty helpful

this tutorial is usefull for robots only basicaly. i used it for my own followers.

think someone needs to make a complete tutorial how to make a more proper follower tutorial. As in getting followers to talk so to speak and how to add things that the link above does not cover. Like guard, clothing/armor, weapons, set home/go home, etc.

I haven't tried to copy the creatures like Ed-E and Rex, but I have just finished setting up a humanoid companion. If you look at the dialogue quest VNPCFollowers Quest you will see most of the dialogue for the wheel and how it is set up. I did notice that Rex is in there as well. If you copy that set up as appropriate for the dog follower it should be okay. When you get to the hire topic you will see that is where, in the results script that, SetPlayerTeammate 1, is set and that is how the companion wheel is attached to the follower.

:) llama

So, in theory i could just copy Rex, for a dog companion and just tweak the packages to go with my new companion? And how would this affect Rex, since im changing some of the replies. Or should i just copy as much of rex' follower quest info into a new quest, and use for my new companion? :P