Whats your preferred way to play fallout New Vegas

MercsRus

I know its hard to understand what I was asking but let me shine a little light on what I was talking about

1. When I play I carry only 500 rounds of ammo even if I can carry more

2. I always make sure Veronica lives to the end and Boone

3. I always carry little or no cash

4. I use only one set of clothes

5. And I only carry about 50-100 pounds of weight

6. I only use 3 weapons which, is a assault rifle, pistol, and knife. well rather it matters what mission I'm on

7. Also If I can avoid a fight I do so (wasting ammo is another way of killing yourself)

8. Before a battle or rather in the field I place ammo, guns, and health packs all around

9. If I pick up another weapon I fire it then drop it or drop one of my own weapons of equal value

10. I also never use the fast travel

This is how I prefer to play. They(Bethesda) doesn't enforce this I just think it give the enemy a equal if not better handicap than my skill

Oh also I play on extremely hard and on hardcore

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds almost how I play on normal hardcore. I do Carry a bit more ammo and 3-5 weapons depending on mission. As for picking up a weapon I usually find a nice stash point to come back and get it later for the caps or for keeps. I really don't use fast travel except for the long back and forth hauls from stash points to sell points. I'd still be getting out of Good springs if I didn't. Edited by Thephedora

Well I have Boone and Veronica with about 500 rounds and I take and share ammo with them but they use it so fast that most of the time I just go and leave them out of the fight. so I have about 200 side arm rounds and 300 primary gun so its about 600 side arm and 900 primary Edited by MercsRus

My first thought upon reading this topics title was... stoned.

Seriously though, Here's how I take to the Wasteland between jaunts on the strip.

- 5 weapons including; 10mm pistol, Hunting or Riot shotgun, Prototype Assault carbine (a personal mod), Hunting rifle and grenade launcher. All modded.

- Ammo: 190 10mm JHP rounds, 120 12gauge magnum & slug, 300 5.56mm, 200 5.56mmAP & 5.56mmHP, 100 .308 & .308AP & .308HP,

12 40mm grenades & 6 40mm incendiary. I take lots of reloading materials so I can rearm myself if needed.

- Aid: I carry more aid items than anything else. If it has weight and I don't need it for healing, crafting a recipe or repairing a weapon, I dump it in a refrigerator

in one of my homes. Otherwise, if I pick it up, I hang on to it.

- Apparel: I wear my armor and helmet, but I also carry the 1st Recon beret and a set of Authority glasses. I use the Blackwolf

backpack mod and equip a +70 lb. pack. I also wear a couple of items from Tailor made.

- Misc.: Though I carry a lot of reloading supplies, I limit myself to 10000 on the lead because it can be really heavy before you know it.

I also carry various pertinent quest items, but I drop the ones I don't need in a safe container in one of my houses.

I play in hardcore mode so I try and get home to rest whenever possible. When Im there I will drop every unecessary item in my inventory (either in a container or on a table/shelf).

When I leave again I make sure that I am carrying nothing extraneous and my encumberance is usually around 140-145/340.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr346/theLeeHarvey/New%20Vegas%20images/JH_portrait.jpg

I know for me, I don't really have a specific way to play the game like what has been mentioned here. The weapons and my inventory and companions all depend upon the type of character I'm playing. I have all around good guys who fight fair and try to keep all their companions alive, I have evil characters who kill and toy with every character they come across, and I have things in between. The one thing I would like to mention, though, is no matter which character I'm playing, or if I'm using a friend's computer or whatever, I always change the key for VATS to Q.

I always keep a shotgun at my side and a 9mm modded with an extended clip and a heavy incenerator to take care of any bigger enemies i may have trouble with.

1.i sleep at night to avoid the dangers of lack of sight and possibly more enemies being around.

2. i head to the clinic near freeside for my implants as soon as i make enough caps.

3. always head for victors shack in good springs for my beginning ammo.

4.i just run as fast as i can through the sloan highway deathclaws get tired out to! sometimes......

5. always attack legion convoys to get supplies and 9mm ammo.

6. always find a shack where i can heal up and sleep[i play hardcore all the time].

7. always recruit veronica and rex to have at my side during raids on buildings or when i'm traveling back through sloan.[companions essential works wonders in hardcore mode]

Thats pretty much how i play it.

When I played FO3 I ran a heavily modded game, and since most of the features that I liked were put into NV from the get-go, it makes it a little easier. I always play in Hardcore mode, and the difficulty setting on extremely hard. I'm running NV with a moderate number of mods, and generally only the ones that add some realism to the game. Bottle water, canteens, backpacks, select fire, some crafting stuff, scope zooming, sprint mod, etc. I run a disable fast travel, and generally set my carry weight to 30lbs as soon as I leave Doc Mitchell's place. The rest of them are pretty insignificant mods - an actual ACOG reticle for the Marksmans carbine, and other scope reticle changes, etc.

Because of the low carry weight I generally try to pick up a backpack pretty quick. I'm using the container patch and bum bags esp's, because it makes more sense to me.

Standard load for my character depends a lot on what I'm doing, but generally it's relatively close.

2 days worth of food, and 3 canteens (or 5 water bottles).

Med supplies are usually 15 stimpaks, 2 radaway, 2 radx, 2 doctors bags, a few doses of steady, and a few doses of medx.

I'll normally take a 9mm pistol, .308 bolt gun, and a Service Rifle/Assault Carbine/Marksman's carbine (whichever I have, or want). The M16 style weapons have the select fire mods on them, but I generally use them in semi. I also use machete's a lot.

Sometimes I will carry a Sturdy Caravan shotgun, or a grenade rifle in place of, or in addition to the auto rifle.

I usually take 75 rounds of 9mm, 120 rounds of .308 (various types), and 250 rounds of 5.56

If I go out with a shotgun I'll pull 50 rounds, and if I have a grenade rifle I'll take about 10 shells for that.

I generally have 3-5 thrown grenades, a few landmines/bottlecap mines, 2 C4 charges (or Napalm), and a detonator.

I also take binoculars, NV goggles + energy cells, one set of armor + 1 set of regular clothes, and about 300 caps. If I'm heading off to loot a building I'll take an extra pack, so I can drop it and keep adding loot to it as I go, and can come back for it later when the way is clear.

I generally use Victors house in the beginning, and sleep wherever until I get to Novac for the hotel room. I also set myself up with an apartment in Freeside, which I use the rest of the game once I get there. If I'm not leaving Freeside or the strip I generally only leave with a handgun to do my business.

I try to avoid area's like Quarry Junction until I have a Barrett or an Anti-Material rifle and some of my Raufoss rounds. I also stay as faction neutral as possible for as long as possible to cut down on conflict. I cook a lot of food to keep from carrying more than I need, so what I do have is more effective. This is one reason I like the bottle that water mods.

The biggest thing, is that I'll scout ahead if I'm not sure what's coming. The scoped rifles and binoculars are good for this, because I don't just like walking into an area blind... I'll sneak to a vantage point and take a look. The NV goggles are pretty much to get me to a bed if I'm out and it gets dark.

My main focus has always been on as much realism as possible. So I walk everywhere, don't carry 300 lbs of gear, and am careful not to get shot or mauled by a Deathclaw.

Now that I've got my mod list working properly I'll probably start a new game and see it through, as I played it through twice on vanilla, but then I started modding it and haven't played much with a full game in mind.

It's good to see true Mercs and Survivalists

I forgot to mention mods that are used in my travels to make the game harder

I have a portable camping mod but I just use it to make a HQ near the BOS bunker and Solar whatever thing in the mountains

I also use the TGs armor

Increase Fiend packs (Its perfect for people who want to have a hard fight and earn some energy tec)

Still waiting for a real Total War Mod or a All Out War mod

Again it does my heart good to see the people who play the part of the Mercs, Survivalist, Raiders, Soldiers, Good and the Bad which make the game a Post Apocalyptic game