⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Can't edit/create scripts.

AmeaAya

Tried to find this issue elsewhere but to no avail.

I can't do any script work with Creation Kit.

If I try to open a 'vanilla' script, I get an error stating "Windows cannot find" the file, and then says it was unable to open the external editor.

If I try to make a script, it says "Unable to Create New Script"

I've even tried manually making the file, sticking it in "Data\Scipts\" and making it a PSC, but then it does not show up in the Creation Kit script manager, nor can it be attached to a Magic Effect or actor or anything (checked a bunch of object types just to be sure)

I tried reinstalling both Skyrim itself (wanted to clear all mods before working on my own anyways) as well as the Creation Kit, but neither had any effect.

If I try to open a 'vanilla' script, I get an error stating "Windows cannot find" the file, and then says it was unable to open the external editor.

I've even tried manually making the file, sticking it in "Data\Scipts\" and making it a PSC, but then it does not show up in the Creation Kit script manager, nor can it be attached to a Magic Effect or actor or anything (checked a bunch of object types just to be sure)

I tried reinstalling both Skyrim itself (wanted to clear all mods before working on my own anyways) as well as the Creation Kit, but neither had any effect.

Have you tried this?

1. Find scripts.rar In your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data folder. (If it is not there go to Steam and verify the game cache)

2. Extract the contents scripts.rar to your desktop.

3. Open the extracted file and look for the Source folder it should be in \Scripts\Scripts\Source.

4. Copy the Source folder and drop it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts and over write when asked.

5. Reinstall the SKSE scripts ( make sure latest version) and over write when asked. http://skse.silverlock.org/

Have you tried this?

1. Find scripts.rar In your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data folder. (If it is not there go to Steam and verify the game cache)

3. Open the extracted file and look for the Source folder it should be in \Scripts\Scripts\Source.

4. Copy the Source folder and drop it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\scripts and over write when asked.

5. Reinstall the SKSE scripts ( make sure latest version) and over write when asked. http://skse.silverlock.org/

That fixed it. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Have you tried this?

THANK YOU!! Finally someone who knew they were doing!

Big Thumbs up for you man.

• 2 years later...

YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!!

• 1 year later...