FOMM won't work. Can't get it to uninstall a file at startup.

roboroller

So I was screwing around with some stuff, and I guess I must have f***ed up real bad. I keep frequent backups of my data folder so I deleted the fallout 3 data folder and copied over my old one. It's always worked fine in the past. When I tried to run FOMM it told me that there were activated files that were no longer in the data folder and those needed to be uninstalled on FOMM before it could run-okay, no problem, we'll just do that-but wait, something is wrong and they can't be uninstalled. What the hell? So now I can't open FOMM at all. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling FOMM-it does the same thing, no change. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the game...no dice.

here's a copy of my crash report

Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 4:45:51 PM

Fomm 0.13.21

OS version: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7600.0

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 goty\Data\dui_f3a10.fomod'.

File name: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 goty\Data\dui_f3a10.fomod'

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at SevenZip.FileChecker.CheckSignature(String fileName, Int32& offset)

at SevenZip.SevenZipExtractor.Init(String archiveFullName)

at SevenZip.SevenZipExtractor..ctor(String archiveFullName)

at Fomm.PackageManager.Archive..ctor(String p_strPath)

at Fomm.PackageManager.fomod..ctor(String path, Boolean p_booUseCache)

at Fomm.PackageManager.Upgrade.UpgradeScanner.Scan()

at Fomm.Program.Main(String[] args)

I can't make heads nor tails of it.

I just want to get everything back to 0 at this point, but I have no idea how. Can someone walk me through it?

Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout 3 goty\Data\dui_f3a10.fomod'.

I'm guessing that's the fomod for darnUI. Grab darnUI again and stick the fomod into the data folder and see if that clears it.

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. Actually, I'm in even more dire straights now as I uninstalled and reinstalled Fallout 3 after deleting all of the data files and files in the installation folder and now the game won't even start period. It just CTD's as soon as it get's to the "Please Stand By" screen. I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

I'm not sure what that might've done to Steam or what recovery tools Steam might have that might be useful here. Know anyone with the retail disc version? Maybe you could borrow their disc and install from that. (Since you're on 7/Vista, preferably to a location outside Program Files, like just C:\Fallout3 or something)

I'm not sure what that might've done to Steam or what recovery tools Steam might have that might be useful here. Know anyone with the retail disc version? Maybe you could borrow their disc and install from that. (Since you're on 7/Vista, preferably to a location outside Program Files, like just C:\Fallout3 or something)

No, I don't know anyone with a retail version. I know it's sort of a no-no, but would a torrent file work? I mean, I did already pay for the game and I have an activation key.

Maybe, maybe not. That's all I can say. The mods here frown on piracy (the act and discussion of it, people who admit they have pirated get banned, people who try to help pirates have been warned) and even if you do own the game, torrenting it would be piracy because you'd not only be downloading it but also uploading it.

There must be some way to get Steam to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of the game.

Ah, if you have access to another computer, you could log into Steam, install Fallout on it, then try copying the Fallout directory to your computer. With the retail version, I can use After Fallout C to make Fallout run after being copied without going through the actual install. I don't know if that will work for the Steam version though.

make sure the ini configuration files reset to default by deleting it, so when the game starts can write a new one. For the fomm issue, id something similar, replacing the data folder with a backup copy before uninstalling the fomods, and fomm still had them checked as active in the package manager. somehow it managed to 'uninstall' the missing content, but if yours wont load at all, should first copy the fomod storage folder (default c:/games/fallout 3/mods) then reinstall fomm and paste the fomods back there. hopefully that works

make sure the ini configuration files reset to default by deleting it, so when the game starts can write a new one. For the fomm issue, id something similar, replacing the data folder with a backup copy before uninstalling the fomods, and fomm still had them checked as active in the package manager. somehow it managed to 'uninstall' the missing content, but if yours wont load at all, should first copy the fomod storage folder (default c:/games/fallout 3/mods) then reinstall fomm and paste the fomods back there. hopefully that works

I'm pretty sure I did delete the ini configuration files. If they're located in the installation folder I deleted them. Or do I have the wrong ones?

I'm pretty sure I did delete the ini configuration files. If they're located in the installation folder I deleted them. Or do I have the wrong ones?

its in C:/Documents/My Games/Fallout3/FALLOUT. The installation folder only keeps has the template for it called Fallout_default

its in C:/Documents/My Games/Fallout3/FALLOUT. The installation folder only keeps has the template for it called Fallout_default

Yeah, I just realized my mistake. Deleting the right files took care of the problem. Strange that Revo Uninstaller didn't get them. Oh well, everything is working fine now! What a relief. Thanks guys.