White Horse

ElioraArin

Thanks ToppDog, I'm sorry I didn't even see your post so you must have posted while I was typing my last message! I would be very interested in any textures for horses, as now that I've figured out what to do I can make them very quickly & am planning on creating a mod that adds them to towns that don't have them - I would also like to try & put in a horse in each hold that will become available for free once you have been made Thane, not sure if I'll succeed on that one though ... it might be a bit ambitious for me :laugh:

Your mod idea sounds like an older mod called More Stables. The author hasn't updated it in years, but it still works.

Just in case you don't have them already, here is a list of more mods I used that have horse textures in them. A lot of them use the same resources that are okay to use, but some may use custom ones, so just check to be sure:

Black and White Horses

Zira Retextured Horses

Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack

Frost Horse White Retexture

Good luck with your mod!

Thanks ToppDog! I have been searching for textures since I figured out how to make the horses, but I haven't come across Bellyaches one - did anyone else find that once they started modding getting enough sleep became something of a problem ... ? :D

I think I will have a look at "More Stables" as another addition to my game as I am considering making all the new horses I am going to add free to allow for maximum choice in how the player acquires them - maybe Gerdur "gives" you the Riverwood one for helping Ralof escape? or maybe you "buy" it from Orgnar by dumping a suitable amount of gold somewhere ... but it's up to you what you do for that character/play through :smile:

If anyone knows how to go about making a horse available only after becoming a Thane I would appreciate some tips!!! So tired ... :D

Just checked out Bellyaches, it is wonderful, thank you so much - I may never have found this one & it's brilliant (I see it's also the one used by the mod Raye recommended).

Edited by ElioraArin

Is there a listing somewhere of all the various mods? I mean I have been wanting to replace some textures in game (like flowers and berries etc..) but finding just plain texture replacers can be difficult. I see references to them, but never actually find the mods themselves.

Also, I have been looking for various horse textures (just any different ones, I want my horses to be a different and unique as possible), would it be possible for you to make a listing, with links (or just names and authors) of the various horse retexture mods? (to me it doesn't matter whether they replace the horses or not, if I don't like the mod itself, I am learning how to just use the textures, haven't actually made a new horse yet, but I am going to :D

Also, can you actually buy new horses from the same stable if the old one isn't dead (ie have two whiterun horses, or two markarth horses at the same time)?

I am also working on a food/gardening mod, I will try & post a list for you in this forum of the resources I have found in the next couple of days, I will have to go back & find them all & honestly can't be bothered right now (I have to do it for myself anyway as I lost all my textures when I had to restore my computer - my advice is to have all your resource files, all the mods you use, & all the mods you are working on yourself saved to a USB, a couple of the mods I used in my game are no longer available & I can't get them back :( ).

The only horse meshes/textures I have found so far that you definitely have permission to upload in a mod are Slof's www.slofslair.co.uk/ & Zira's www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2231/?

If you are just creating a mod for personal use manually download any mod with horses that you like to a non game folder, then copy the texture files that you want to use into your Skyrim Data folder. To replace the existing horse colours you can use the steps in this post, or to create your own horses use the steps in my other post "Creating a Custom Horse". If you do decide to upload a mod with borrowed textures like this don't do it unless you have contacted the original mod author & got their permission first :)

As far as I know you can't buy more than one horse from each stable, unless there is a mod for it? I haven't looked into making horses buyable yet, although I do want to try & figure it out soon.

Also I just got a response from wrig675 to say that she is happy for people to use the horse textures in her mod "Bellyaches Animal & Creature Pack", this is great news as she has done some really nice work :D

Edit: I have just discovered that "Unique Horse Textures" by e7seif also has a modders resource download on the bottom of the file page.

Edited by ElioraArin

Thanks, yeah, this is just for personal enjoyment. To have many pretty horses :D

One reason I asked is that many of the horse mods I have seen are either very similar to each other (brown horse vs slightly lighter brown horse or black horse with blaze vs black horse with blaze and socks etc..) or they already use Slof's textures (and I *think* I got all those unless she made some specifically for mods) so I had just been wondering if you knew of any horse packs that either use modified textures of hers (perhaps appaloosas for different colors etc..) or horse packs that are different enough from hers to be worth using. I have downloaded Bellyaches animal and creature pack, but have yet to go through the horses to see what they look like.

I have already made the in game horses pretty (now comes the fun of figuring out which textures I used, making sure I don't reuse them unless I make the manes different, and then cross referencing the horses that I already have in game (such as Dawnstars Posh Pony pack, which uses some of slof's textures) to textures, and seeing what textures I have extra and what needs to be changed so that they remain unique textures.

Thanks, for answering my question. I had sort of thought you couldn't, but saw I think the uesp wiki say something about buying another horse from the same stable so you would have two from that stable (it might not have been there). I know in Oblivion you couldn't, they would just say I had bought their last horse, but wasn't sure if they changed that in Skyrim or not.