Combined Objects workaround (Non Ref AV Objects)

Deleted2948850User

Hey folks,

I've accidently stumbled upon a way to seperate combined objects and make all the seperate objects

clickable and editable through console commands. Here's what I've found;

If you copy a placed object that is part of a combined object as an override into a new .esp, it forces

the game to detach all objects belonging to that particular combined object. You don't even need to

change anything in the override! Doing this still keeps all the objects where they originally should be

in-game, but they are now selectable and editable through console commands without getting the pesky

"Picked Non Ref AV Object".

I've also found that any in-game changes you make to objects that have been detached are completely

undone/overwritten again once the combined object is reestablished (in other words, if you unload the

.esp containing the override). So I'm afraid these changes do not stick simply through save files.

I am not sure why the game works like this, more testing is still needed on the subject. But I do hope

this information will be useful to people looking into editing combined objects ^^

Sincerely, Darkco.

Edit: On a different note, if anyone knows where the combined object forms are in the game files.

I haven't been able to find them thus far, but I expect that disabling them would detach objects

throughout the game in a similar fashion. Although this is just a theory and I have no idea how this

might affect the game in general. Would be fun to see tested =]

Edit: Adding a new placed object form (blank form) to a cell has the same result as to detaching

combined objects. WARNING: Using this method breaks the cell update which in turn causes

all containers and PA frames in the edited cells to return to their starting value (resetting their

content). However, this excludes containers you've placed yourself and PA frames bought at

vendors. This bug is not something that can be fixed within the mod, but is a bug in the game

engine itself.

If you still insist on modding your game this way, I advise you to delete any native containers

within the cells and place your own. I also advise you don't leave any PA frames you found in the

wasteland in the aforementioned cells, only ones you've bought.

Edited by Guest

What I did was look through the cell data where the combined objects were that I wanted to edit, looked through the placed objects

and moved what I thought was an object which belonged to the combined object as an override to a new .esp. Took a little trial and

error, but not much. Appears they've stuck ALOT of stuff together as combined objects.

Hey guys, just checking in to say I don't recommend using this workaround!

I built an esp to allow removal of houses and debris piles in Sanctuary using the method described here, unfortunatly this triggers a bug that causes power armors to randomize what pieces are on any given frame and containers to randomize their contents when the player fast travels to the plot. It hasn't been tested but its likely this also triggers when you travel far enough away that the cell unloads.

Hey guys, just checking in to say I don't recommend using this workaround!

I built an esp to allow removal of houses and debris piles in Sanctuary using the method described here, unfortunatly this triggers a bug that causes power armors to randomize what pieces are on any given frame and containers to randomize their contents when the player fast travels to the plot. It hasn't been tested but its likely this also triggers when you travel far enough away that the cell unloads.

You mean to say it's randomizing the containers in the edited cells themselves?

Haven't encountered this myself yet, gonna have to look into this =/

Just tested this with my own modified Red Rocket Gas Station. I'm certain the cell should've been unloaded/reset,

but I wasn't able to replicate this bug. What else did you change in your .esp Amstrad? Btw, you do know most

power armor/containers you find in the wasteland are supposed to be randomized on their 1st encounter right?

Just tested this with my own modified Red Rocket Gas Station. I'm certain the cell should've been unloaded/reset,

but I wasn't able to replicate this bug. What else did you change in your .esp Amstrad? Btw, you do know most

power armor/containers you find in the wasteland are supposed to be randomized on their 1st encounter right?

I didn't change anything other than copying the relevent debris objects as overrides into a new esp exactly as you recommended. Possibly this is just a bug with Sanctuary? I'll have to try making a Red Rocket esp the same way and see if it exhibits the same behaviour.

Edit: Okay, after a quick test I was able to create a similar mod for RedRocket that allowed me to clean up a bunch of debris, but did not trigger the armor reset bug. This may be an issue unique to Sanctuary. I'll need to test some more.

Edit2: After a new smaller set of overrides to just one cell in Sanctuary I'm not currently experiencing my previously mentioned bug. Going to expand scope again and see if the issue re-occurs.

Edit3: Once the overrides extend to more than just the SanctuaryExt02 cell (eg: the SanctuaryExt03-9 cells) the previously mentioned power armor bug returns. This may mean that this workaround is safe for use on single cell settlements, but not larger ones.

Edited by Amstrad