How to minigun and automatic fire loop?

Fiddlestickz

I've been busy modding my games SFX department with my favorite sound from various games, though with the minigun sounds and automatic loops i have trouble. The games sound effects of this kind use some kind of 'region markers' in their files which detects when the player stops firing or something. So far i couldn't figure out how they did it. In one of my fav games AvP2 there was simply a minigun loop which you could hear when you were firing and it stopped when you release the fire button, simple. In Fallout 4 this is different, more complicated. It appears to me the system was specifically designed for their way of creating fireloops and adding a simple file results in an endless loop ingame, which can only be removed by reloading the save, or restarting the game.

I also asked the guy who release realitsic weapon sound mod, but so far he's ignored my question unfortunately, so i am still in the dark on this one.

Can someone help me on this one? Because i would really like to mod the beefy AvP2 minigun loop into my game.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Fiddlestickz

I guess the reason why the guy did'n answered, is beacause he did'n found that out yet himself :smile:. His "full auto" SFX are still missing.

If you could upload the smart-gun wave file for me, i could try out something myself. Its a long time since i last used Adobe Audition, but i like the challenge.

---

wow, the solution is so easy. I have literally found it after 10 seconds googling and 5 minutes of fiddling around in the program.

http://www.wavosaur.com/

Set the loop cues and markers only on zero points, of course. To prevent crackling.

PS: I am still interested in that smart-gun wave file. :wink: or any other high quality wave file you got from the game, I remember the Assault Rifle wasn't too bed either.

Edited by Fl0W

I guess the reason why the guy did'n answered, is beacause he did'n found that out yet himself :smile:. His "full auto" SFX are still missing.

If you could upload the smart-gun wave file for me, i could try out something myself. Its a long time since i last used Adobe Audition, but i like the challenge.

---

wow, the solution is so easy. I have literally found it after 10 seconds googling and 5 minutes of fiddling around in the program.

http://www.wavosaur.com/

Set the loop cues and markers only on zero points, of course. To prevent crackling.

PS: I am still interested in that smart-gun wave file. :wink: or any other high quality wave file you got from the game, I remember the Assault Rifle wasn't too bed either.

Whoa thanks I'll try this out tonight

Interesting and thanks for response, i will try to tinker around! So the rule is the cue are strictly at zero points? Got it. Which markers need to be placed at the zero spots, 'loop markers' ?

Flow ill send you a PM later on, you shall have everything you need, promise.

Edit: So i just tested it an it actually works, set a loop for the whole thing and then i used the autoslice which sets markers at (almost) zero points and bam it didnt loop endlessly ingame anymore. HAH this is awesome! Now people can start creating their own loop ingame. Thanks Flow ur are credit to nexusmods.

To put a picture to my words:

http://s1.postimg.org/60ftm5kan/loop.jpg

In the picture we have 3 sounds mixed together, the barrel spin_up + barrel LPM (LooPMode?) + barrel Spin_down. The tactic is to make a loop out of the pure barrel soundloop (yellow markers) you hear in the background when holding down your firebutton. The "barrel spinup" sound plays when you press once and the finish plays when you release your firebutton. After you've set the loop point i did 'auto slice' for the part that matters (in this case only the first 2 parts of the wav) where the program searches the zero amplitude parts and connects there so you minimize crackling (White 'M' Markers)

Or another example:

http://s23.postimg.org/l4aued5rv/loop2.jpg

Here we have the minigun fire loop + barrel Spin_Down in one. This is the sound the game uses once you start firing. Here tactic is again, to catch the pure fire loop and then auto slice that. The barrel slow down sound, the finish, is left out again. (The last marker after the loopend is most likely unnecessary)

If you manage to create one of these you can make all the loops you want. Now i realize why sounddesigners like this function so much.

To let you get started right away you need two wonderful tools and you are all set to edit the sound department of Fallout 4 to your hearts content:

1) B.A.E. - Bethesda Archive Extractor (Extract 'Fallout4 - Sounds.ba2')

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/78/?

2) Skyrim Audio Converter (Most of the sounds are '.xvm' files, you can convert them back and forth with THIS tool)

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8303/?

Additional Advice:

The game uses wav AND xvm, make sure to double check if you have the correct format, filename and filepath. I had it a few times that i missplaced a file and then forgot about it, big mistake.

Right now i am making myself a jetpack sound with Pilotwings 64 sounds, this is amazing, spread the word so we see more sfx mods!

Edited by Fiddlestickz

HAH this is awesome! Now people can start creating their own loop ingame. Thanks Flow ur are credit to nexusmods.

lol, i just happen to know the right words to search in Google :D But thanks for the flowers. Yes, sound design can be a lot of fun. I am glad i could help.

Your little tutorial is nicely done and deserves its own topic in this sub forum. IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...